The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

There's more chance of Agbonlahor playing in the next world cup than us getting promotion now. Making up an 9 point gap on Wednesday, and hoping none of the 6 clubs between us do any better is so far-fetched, it's all but impossible.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

eh, we were 2 up at home. its a horrible result

I disagree, the form Preston are in, unbeaten in 9 now, and giving who they beat in there previous match, even 2-0 up at home and drawing 2-2 is still a good result. 

Especially as honestly, I expected us to get tonked. 

11 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

I disagree, the form Preston are in, unbeaten in 9 now, and giving who they beat in there previous match, even 2-0 up at home and drawing 2-2 is still a good result. 

Its a bad result. Made even more so by the fact that we rarely win away.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

No chance is it a good result.

On 08/11/2016 at 19:12, OutByEaster? said:

We're unbeaten at home so far this season in nine games. 

That's the longest unbeaten home start to a season in 26 years, in fact, since 1990 in a run that included Inter Milan on the way to a seventeen game unbeaten home start.

Pardon me quoting myself - just wanted to add that we're now unbeaten in thirteen games at home so far this season. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Pardon me quoting myself - just wanted to add that we're now unbeaten in thirteen games at home so far this season. 

only 6 teams in top 4 divisions with a similar record but all the others are challenging for the top

Its impressive record but we are only 8th best home record in the division still

57 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Terrible result. A hard earned draw against a decent team fair enough, but to be leading 2.0 and cruising then all of a sudden collapse is proof we still can't hold our own piss.

Yep when our away form is abysmal you have to be winning at home every week regardless of how good a form the opposition is in.

I can't see us making them now and I've been very confident right through the season (well maybe not after PNE away!)

Disappointing how we've tailed off since xmas...we did the hard work in getting the gap down to 4-5 points and despite having a good run of games we're now further away than ever.

I still think this season was a bit of a free hit for SB considering the position we were in when he turned up.

No such excuse next season.

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

only 6 teams in top 4 divisions with a similar record but all the others are challenging for the top

Its impressive record but we are only 8th best home record in the division still

As i said in another thread, you can go down while being unbeaten for a season. Its such a pointless statistic.

5 minutes ago, turvontour said:

As i said in another thread, you can go down while being unbeaten for a season. Its such a pointless statistic.

true but I suppose drawing everyweek is an improvement on last season :D

1 hour ago, turvontour said:

As somebody who attends most home games, I can assure you that the fact I haven't seen us lose all season is not a 'pointless statistic' for me. 

On topic: I didn't think we had any chance before today, and I don't think we have any chance now. All about building for next season. 

Edited by HanoiVillan

Not a good result today. But, what are these players supposed to now do? Just say yeah that's it, let's start preparing for next season? You keep going until you can't get promoted, you don't just throw the towel in. Lansbury had an effect today but couldn't last, without him this team was not supposed to win today. If we sign Hourihane and Bree, and Kodjia comes back, and maybe we sign someone like Brady, then this team is capable of the 2 point per game target. Play-offs are still possible.  

• Like 1

This thread is very much like the relegation thread last year.  Some hope and optimism and some acceptance and realisation. 

We are going to be in this league for at least one more season. The adaptation time with last seasons leftovers and new players will take time adding that to the RDM mistake it just won't happen this season.

I have to admit I'm not all that upset by the prospect as I think next year we will finish in the top two.

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

As somebody who attends most home games, I can assure you that the fact I haven't seen us lose all season is not a 'pointless statistic' for me. 

On topic: I didn't think we had any chance before today, and I don't think we have any chance now. All about building for next season. 

I didnt mean it like that, and i agree its great that games are no longer a probable defeat at VP like previous seasons. I was saying that being unbeaten at home doesnt actually tell you anything about how your fairing that season, its a pointless benchmark. 

You can be promoted as Champions with an unbeaten home record and you can finish bottom with an unbeaten home record. 

8 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

This thread is very much like the relegation thread last year.  Some hope and optimism and some acceptance and realisation. 

We are going to be in this league for at least one more season. The adaptation time with last seasons leftovers and new players will take time adding that to the RDM mistake it just won't happen this season.

I have to admit I'm not all that upset by the prospect as I think next year we will finish in the top two.

Although I still think we have a good chance of a play off place, I honestly wouldn't mind being in this division another season, I quite enjoy having more fixtures. 

And much like yourself, I think given a whole year on, Bruce will have a good team together and top 2 will be the aim.

Just now, turvontour said:

I didnt mean it like that, and i agree its great that games are no longer a probable defeat at VP like previous seasons. I was saying that being unbeaten at home doesnt actually tell you anything about how your fairing that season, its a pointless benchmark. 

You can be promoted as Champions with an unbeaten home record and you can finish bottom with an unbeaten home record. 

I understand the mathematical basis of your point, and obviously we are the current, living, breathing proof that it's possible to be unbeaten at home yet still have an average-to-poor season. 

I just don't like the idea of writing it off as something that isn't an achievement. For us especially - and we had a dismal home record in the PL - turning VP into something of a fortress is probably the first step on the long road back to not being a basket case any more. 

• Like 1