The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

The odds are heavily stacked against sides who don't make it back at the first attempt. 

I'm resigned to us not going up this season, but there really is little merit in seeing the remainder of the campaign as a test run for next year. 

Go all out in all games (not just home matches, as Bruce seems to have a tendency to do) and see where that leaves us come May. 

The point about finishing 6th and not being ready for the PL next season I don't accept. Di Matteo had previously said we would need to build at least two teams to do it, and thus far Dr Xia hasn't held back on the funds. 

If we do make it back up, the starting XI next August will be quite different to the one in May. 

1 hour ago, HolteExile said:

The odds are heavily stacked against sides who don't make it back at the first attempt. 

you say that but 2 of the most successful sides in recent years in English football is Leicester and Southampton who took ages to get back up to top flight

With respect, I don't want to wait seven to 10 years and have a stint in League One before we can contemplate getting back. 

Leeds have been away since 2004, Wednesday even longer than that. 

I'm not sure of the exact break down, but I don't recall too many sides failing to get up in their first season  but making it back at the second attempt. 

On 28/01/2017 at 09:50, ender4 said:

I don't want to wait a year.

I'm not sure I can cope with another year in this awful crappy division with shitty teams (yes I'm aware we are also shitty).

This is the worst year ever (in football terms) in my life.

I want us to be one of the best 10 teams in the country. OK, at least in the top 17 teams. 

Is that too much to expect?

I agree with where you want us to be but I would rather stay down another season and actually build team work and playing style, scouting networks and club structure then hopefully go up next season a really strong club. My fear now is if we go up this season then we could come straight back down. I want to go back up as much as anyone but not as basket case or a patched up team. I want to go back up with a team that can fight like lions. Because results aside that's what we all really want. We want to be prepared and fight like lions in every match. 

UTV

VTID

• Like 1

The longer we stay down the worse it becomes. We could become a yo yo club like west brom were all those years ago. Also the financial gap becomes greater and makes it harder for us to become a established club. I read Leicester are in the top 30 clubs in the world now after their title win. :(

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

The longer we stay down the worse it becomes. We could become a yo yo club like west brom were all those years ago. Also the financial gap becomes greater and makes it harder for us to become a established club. I read Leicester are in the top 30 clubs in the world now after their title win. :(

Relax - If not this season then we wIll go up next season - it's a short stay for us - it's written in the tea leaves ;)

Villa in my opinion have already signed lower to mid Premiership standard midfielders and with a back four containing Premiership experience very little will need to be done when promoted.

Edited by striker

15 minutes ago, striker said:

Villa in my opinion have already signed lower to mid Premiership standard midfielders and with a back four containing Premiership experience very little will need to be done when promoted.

That is if none of the leave end of season...

19 minutes ago, striker said:

I think quite a lot will still need to be done when promoted, and I suspect Xia will think the same.

I dont think a rebuild is needed anymore. However, i would still like another 6-7 players in the summer if we did go up. The current starting best 11 can become squad players and the current squad players can go. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KSV said:

I dont think a rebuild is needed anymore. However, i would still like another 6-7 players in the summer if we did go up. The current starting best 11 can become squad players and the current squad players can go. 

I would call that a rebuild :D

But I agree. 

About 7-9 starters needed if we are promoted.

Chester & Hourihan could probably remain regulars?

What we are building now is a on paper very strong Championship side. Not sure it would fair well at all in the PL tbh.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sne said:

I would call that a rebuild :D

But I agree. 

About 7-9 starters needed if we are promoted.

Chester & Hourihan could probably remain regulars?

What we are building now is a on paper very strong Championship side. Not sure it would fair well at all in the PL tbh.

Well if thats a rebuild then yes we need one haha. I just figured a rebuild would be 11-13 players. 7-9 players from a squad of 23-25 is not that much of a rebuild. 

Edited by KSV
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KSV said:

Well if thats a rebuild then yes we need one haha. I just figured a rebuild would be 10-12 players. 6-7 players from a squad of 23-25 is not that much of a rebuild. 

As you say thou many of our current recruits would be very competent squad options should we be promoted.

It's the starting 11 that needs to be reworked come promotion.

25 minutes ago, KSV said:

Agreed. This is the best squad we've had in years (which doesn't say much) and it's something to build on.

Imo we're a few players away from being as strong as Newcastle and that would be quite an achievement considering what we went down with.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

As you say thou many of our current recruits would be very competent squad options should we be promoted.

It's the starting 11 that needs to be reworked come promotion.

Yes

Edited by KSV