The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

I know a team isn't guaranteed to succeed based on how it looks on paper, but we pretty much have the Championship All-Star team.

We basically seem to have looked at best players in the Championship last and this season and signed all of them. 

On 23/01/2017 at 23:52, thunderball said:

Just checked our remaining fixtures, and with a fair wind reckon we could win every game until the end of the season, finishing on 87 points. Should be enough.

"Now that's magic"

It's also numberwang.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I know a team isn't guaranteed to succeed based on how it looks on paper, but we pretty much have the Championship All-Star team.

We basically seem to have looked at best players in the Championship last and this season and signed all of them. 

hope we do the same in the Premier League next year  :D:P

• Like 2

3 hours ago, philgetaway said:

This is Aston Villa Football Club.  We should be playing teams like Arsenal and giving them a game.  We should be where Everton are -  a decent game for any opposition on our day.

Lerner / Fox / Sherwood etc are to blame for us 'getting smashed' by these teams.  That's not a true standing where the club should be.  Over time with generally been a decent top 8 side.

Next Tuesday we're on TV away at Brentford the same time Chelsea are playing Liverpool.  

Lerner actually got us up there aswell. We need to stop thinking that we SHOULD be anywhere. That's what got us where we are. We never realised we were eroding. We are where we deserve to be at present. We have an owner that could take us to places we've been before. Hopefully we can use this time in this division to realise we have to fight for everything and aren't entitled to nothing. This season we are everybodies cup final and our players haven't been able to raise their game enough. Hopefully this team can now go on a run to get us near the playoffs but if we miss out it'd be nice to win the league and get a bit of swagger back into the club. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, dn1982 said:

Lerner actually got us up there aswell. We need to stop thinking that we SHOULD be anywhere. That's what got us where we are. We never realised we were eroding. We are where we deserve to be at present. We have an owner that could take us to places we've been before. Hopefully we can use this time in this division to realise we have to fight for everything and aren't entitled to nothing. This season we are everybodies cup final and our players haven't been able to raise their game enough. Hopefully this team can now go on a run to get us near the playoffs but if we miss out it'd be nice to win the league and get a bit of swagger back into the club. 

I don't agree that the thinking that we SHOULD be a big club, has got us to where we are now.  Without going off-topic, we are where we are now due to poor ownership and management.  I'd say us Villa fans have been far away from any self-entitlement.  I was just replying to the fact that we shouldn't be settling for a game against Rotherham because we know we can give them a game, over Arsenal.  That's not the mentality this club should have.

Agree with everything else you say, but as I posted earlier elsewhere, it will be a test to see if a couple of Barnsley players can step-up to the plate.  I hope they can help us get out   

• Like 1

If you were to bet each game individually and roll over the winnings ,betting Villa avoid defeat, at a guess I would think it would average out to about 1/5 (1.20) over 10 games  and would return around 4/1- 5/1( maybe less if the remaining home schedule is  very weak, not looked) , if you phoned a bookie for a special they would offer you about 7/2- 4/1

Edited by Infinte_Pest
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, philgetaway said:

This is Aston Villa Football Club.  We should be playing teams like Arsenal and giving them a game.  We should be where Everton are -  a decent game for any opposition on our day.

Lerner / Fox / Sherwood etc are to blame for us 'getting smashed' by these teams.  That's not a true standing where the club should be.  Over time with generally been a decent top 8 side.

Next Tuesday we're on TV away at Brentford the same time Chelsea are playing Liverpool.  

we got smashed before these guys joined our club. we only lost badly twice under Sherwood compared to Garde or Lambert

Basically, as we didnt lose to Toon, Leeds at home we only have Reading & Brighton to come who could possibly beat us (in an ideal world I know)

So we should go unbeaten at home maybe even away till the season ends

IF the playoffs are still achievable its gonna take an unbeaten win mire often than not type of run to catch up

17 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

With the new additions the next 4 are all winnable. Imagine 12 from 12 before Newcastle

I have been saying that all season though, well the first part...

I think we have left ourselves with way too much to do.

Championship

Brentford V Aston Villa

Tue 31 Jan 19:45  

Championship

Nottingham Forest V Aston Villa

Sat 4 Feb 17:30  

Championship

Aston Villa V Ipswich Town

Sat 11 Feb 15:00  

Championship

Aston Villa V Barnsley

Tue 14 Feb 19:45  

Championship

Newcastle United V Aston Villa

Mon 20 Feb 20:00  

Championship

Aston Villa V Derby County

Sat 25 Feb 15:00  

Championship

Aston Villa V Bristol City

Tue 28 Feb 19:45

...but 18 points from this game will put us right in with a shout.

Not impossible.

:trollface:

17 hours ago, Infinte_Pest said:

If you were to bet each game individually and roll over the winnings ,betting Villa avoid defeat, at a guess I would think it would average out to about 1/5 (1.20) over 10 games  and would return around 4/1- 5/1( maybe less if the remaining home schedule is  very weak, not looked) , if you phoned a bookie for a special they would offer you about 7/2- 4/1

Yep, avoiding defeat at ~1/5 gives you 5.19/1 over 10 games.  Not a particularly appealing bet, knowing how football (and Villa) tends to work.

42 minutes ago, PaulC said:

19 games left. How many pts would give us a chance of making the playoffs? We probably have to produce title winning form don't we?

40 points would do it - 12 wins , 4 draws and 3 defeats .

might get there with 74 but 76 would do it for sure.

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I have been saying that all season though, well the first part...

I think we have left ourselves with way too much to do.

Championship

Brentford V Aston Villa

Tue 31 Jan 19:45  

Championship

Nottingham Forest V Aston Villa

Sat 4 Feb 17:30  

Championship

Aston Villa V Ipswich Town

Sat 11 Feb 15:00  

Championship

Aston Villa V Barnsley

Tue 14 Feb 19:45  

Championship

Newcastle United V Aston Villa

Mon 20 Feb 20:00  

Championship

Aston Villa V Derby County

Sat 25 Feb 15:00  

Championship

Aston Villa V Bristol City

Tue 28 Feb 19:45

...but 18 points from this game will put us right in with a shout.

Not impossible.

:trollface:

The other thing is Barnsley, Derby et al are catchable so if we pick up wins everywhere else playing them either pegs them back or allows us to leapfrog.

7 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Basically, as we didnt lose to Toon, Leeds at home we only have Reading & Brighton to come who could possibly beat us (in an ideal world I know)

So we should go unbeaten at home maybe even away till the season ends

IF the playoffs are still achievable its gonna take an unbeaten win mire often than not type of run to catch up

Ye, its winning thats the problem, not going unbeaten. There are only 4 teams in the entire division that have won fewer games than us. 

I was thinking earlier how odd it would be if we were to go the entire season unbeaten at home but not do the double over anyone.

Our first chance at a double is v Rotherham in March. Odd season..

• Like 1