The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

So a few months of off season under Steve Bruce, turning the loan signing for Johnstone into a permanent one and McCormack coming back from rehab is going to turn a team currently 18 points from the play offs into a sure thing for promotion next season?

Really hope you guys are right, but so far I've seen no signs what so ever that we are developing into an actual team or that Bruce has a plan, long term or short term.

I just wan't next season to be over, as either we'll be promoted or we'll have a new manager.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

But I clearly remember 90% of the forum claiming we were gonna walk the league after our 3-0 win against Roterham in gameweek 2 :P

Oh well, hopefully we are bit more prepared now to challenge for playoffs. 

Edited by Alakagom

43 minutes ago, sne said:
                           P   W   D    L   F    A    GD  Pts
13. Aston Villa   46 16  14  16  47  48   -1    62

What an utterly woeful and pathetic season.

Absolutely embarrassing. I think I could have stomached a serious, but ultimately unsuccessful push for the play offs under Bruce, but he couldn't even muster that. Shit manager and too many shit players on massive wages at this club. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, blunther said:

Far closer to relegation than the playoffs in the end then. I thought the Championship was gonna be fun! 

By some amazing twist of fate I have not seen Villa lose this season. I missed all the home games we lost. So on that basis miles better than last season and all the gallows humour. Still not good enough though.

28 minutes ago, supermon said:

Enjoyed this season more than the last 3 Prem years

I'd say there were more enjoyable moments but on the whole it was another overall shit year to be forgotten. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, supermon said:

Enjoyed this season more than the last 3 Prem years

Me too. 

Still hasn't been good enough, but it's nice to be moaning about not being in the top 6, rather than moaning about being in the bottom 6. 

Still in the gutter, but looking at the stars :thumb:

17 hours ago, wazzap24 said:

Me too. 

Still hasn't been good enough, but it's nice to be moaning about not being in the top 6, rather than moaning about being in the bottom 6. 

Still in the gutter, but looking at the stars :thumb:

True, but we needed / will need next year- only 4 more defeats to be looking at Relegation, whereas we needed / will need about 10 more Wins to look at Promotion ...

We are closer to the bottom than the top, sadly....had the Blues won the  Derbies we'd have finished level with them .

• Like 1

Just looking at boro bloody hell they look really poor. Them and Sunderland need huge work come summer. Hull/Swansea though will be tough opponents. Hopefully hull as we don't see to di well against Swansea 

7 hours ago, terrytini said:

True, but we needed / will need next year- only 4 more defeats to be looking at Relegation, whereas we needed / will need about 10 more Wins to look at Promotion ...

We are closer to the bottom than the top, sadly....had the Blues won the  Derbies we'd have finished level with them .

But that was never likely to happen was it? ;) 

• Like 1

Just out of interest....Here is a list of what happened the following season to the worst points scoring relegated Premier League Clubs since 2000.. ( apart from us ) 

QPR            25 pts - 2012-13  .... 31 players out  / 19 players in   : 2013-14    4th on 80 Pts

Portsmouth 19 pts - 2009-10  .... 29 players out /  13 players in.   : 2011-12 16th on 58 Pts

Derby          11 pts - 2007-8   ..... 36 players out /  23 players in    : 2008-9   18th on 54 Pts

Sunderland 15 pts - 2005-6 ....... 26 players out /  23 players in   : 2006-7      1st on 88 Pts  ( 5 goals for 35yr old Dwight Yorke  !!! )

49 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Just looking at boro bloody hell they look really poor. Them and Sunderland need huge work come summer. Hull/Swansea though will be tough opponents. Hopefully hull as we don't see to di well against Swansea 

Hopefully Steve Gibson has had his fill and won't "go again"

I am not sure how much motivation he can have left in him.

50 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Nah, I'd love to see Mr Sulky face back in the Championship having bailed out in January.

Aston Villa edged within three points of the Championship play-off zone after leaving it late to beat manager Steve Bruce's old club Wigan Athletic.

Jack Grealish struck a late winner, firing home a right-foot shot from outside the box into the top right corner in the 88th minute.

A fourth successive home victory moved Bruce's Villa side up to 12th, while the Latics remain second bottom.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38192217

In my mind we never really got close to the play offs and I remember attending this game, but I can't remember that we actually got this close. Damn, we really **** it in January. :(

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38192217

In my mind we never really got close to the play offs and I remember attending this game, but I can't remember that we actually got this close. Damn, we really **** it in January. :(

When you look at that table, it really shows how solid the teams in the playoffs at that stage must have been and the benchmark we need to follow, because they all made it. Barring the Leeds/Fulham switch which was down to remarkable form from Fulham.

We need to be pretty relentless just for the playoffs, we weren't.