The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

I have to revise my earlier comment because despite only drawing the gap has slightly reduced. But we still need to win 5 on the trot now. It's a huge ask. 

However the first half today shows how just 1 quality midfielder can change our whole midfield and therefore team performance. It looks like we have yet another and on stats even better one to come in.  Fingers crossed this is the missing link which totally transforms us. 

15 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I understand the mathematical basis of your point, and obviously we are the current, living, breathing proof that it's possible to be unbeaten at home yet still have an average-to-poor season. 

I just don't like the idea of writing it off as something that isn't an achievement. For us especially - and we had a dismal home record in the PL - turning VP into something of a fortress is probably the first step on the long road back to not being a basket case any more. 

Im completely with you on the home form being a positive and it was vitally important to turn that around given recent years. But Villa Parks hardly a fortress is it, we've won less than half our home games, 5 or 6 so far? Teams in the play offs will have won 9 or 10 at home.

It would be nice to just take what we can from this season and then see where we are next season. Life is one big rush these days and football is no different. Let's get ourself sorted then have a good go next season. I think we will be a much better team next season but if we are still in the same boat then that will be the time to worry. I think people forget how much work there was to do and how much negativity that still surrounds the club from years of utter shite. Just because we spent a lot of money means nothing. Hard work, doing the basics and playing as a team are more important. Say what you want about this league but one thing for sure is that you don't just get out of it because your a so called big club. It takes hard work and that's something we still lack. 

• Like 4

I think this season becomes a matter of pride now, and finishing as high as we can. The play-offs look to be beyond us this season, which is a shame and the finger must be pointed at RDM for that. 

We need to bring in a few more players this window, with longer term planning like Hourihane and Bree, bed them in ready for an assault on automatic next season. 

The way this season has gone there won't be clubs queuing up to sign our players so can build how Bruce and Round see fit.

The positive is that I've enjoyed this season so far much more than the last 5 or so years. I just hope we can nail it next season.

• Like 1

I know it sounds a strange thing to say but I think staying down for another year may be for the best. If we somehow got up this year, we would have a huge job on our hands to stay up. Another year of tweaking the team and the players getting used to each other might make us better in the long run

• Like 2

If we dont go up this season

GK SJ returns to ManUre

RB RDL wont be matchfit till December

CB Chester may be off to a PL team

LB Amavi will want to leave

DM Jedi will be finished

CM HL & CH nay get PL offers

RW Adomah may get Pl offers

AM McC/Ayew will be gone

CF Kodjia will have offers from PL teams

We'll be left with

Gollini out on loan - no fit GK

RB Rchards

CB Elphick & Baker

LB ?

DM ?

CM Westwood Gardner, Tish & Bacuna

AM Grealish

CF Gaby

Promotion to L1 more like

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I know it sounds a strange thing to say but I think staying down for another year may be for the best. If we somehow got up this year, we would have a huge job on our hands to stay up. Another year of tweaking the team and the players getting used to each other might make us better in the long run

The bigger picture :thumb: buts it's not without risks.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

If we dont go up this season

GK SJ returns to ManUre

RB RDL wont be matchfit till December

CB Chester may be off to a PL team

LB Amavi will want to leave

DM Jedi will be finished

CM HL & CH nay get PL offers

RW Adomah may get Pl offers

AM McC/Ayew will be gone

CF Kodjia will have offers from PL teams

I think SJ will go back to Man Utd anyway, we'll sign an experienced keeper

Bree may well be our right back

Chester - possibly but people weren't queueing up for him when we bid. Not sure if he would leave

Not fussed about Amavi - think he can be replaced and if an offer like £20m came in i'd snap their hands off

Jedi - possibly but i'd like to see new younger legs come in as a defensive midfielder anyway

There is no way Lansbury and Hourihane (if he joins) will leave - they can't honestly be joining us now expecting to be in the Premier league next season

Adomah - he may not get PL offers - he probably played better last season for Boro but no Premier League team came in for him when we bid

McCormack agree is probably finished and not fussed about Ayew - i'd replace him now

Kodija - agree, he might get offers. If so we'll get a good fee and we can get a replacement 

I know yours is the worst case scenario and mine is the opposite (i'm sure in reality it will be somewhere in the middle!)

• Like 1

I remember about this time last year when the discussion went about that it might be good for us in the long run to get relegated from the PL.

I did not agree with it, nor do I agree with us failing to get promoted being a good thing.

With the money currently in the PL it's too much of a gamble to be on the outside.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, HAL said:

need to still try and win asmany games as possible just to get some belief going into next season

This. I really hope we do try and get as many wins as possible under our belts and go into next season on a high. Weve won 30% of our games so far this season. You need to win roughly 60% of your games to go up or be in the mix. The change of win rate is going to be some ask.

9 minutes ago, a m ole said:

57 points to play for, win every one and we have 93 on the board.

I mean, it's possible?

Sunderland under Keane won 16 of their last 20 games after a woeful start

Its possible that we could go on a run like that but not likely

I'm not convinced even if we got 45-48 points from our remaining games we'd get in the top 2?

10 minutes ago, Xela said:

Sunderland under Keane won 16 of their last 20 games after a woeful start

Its possible that we could go on a run like that but not likely

I'm not convinced even if we got 45-48 points from our remaining games we'd get in the top 2?

Top 2 is completely out of question no point even looking at that in my view. We have the slimmest of slim hopes of reaching play offs as it is. The last three games have ruined us

Edited by Demitri_C

I stand by my initial reaction yesterday. Rather than look up to the playoff spots, what this team needs to do is look in the mirror. Ask themselves whether they're showing their best form and if not, why not and how do they change that. 

Build towards playing better, more consistent football. Take it a game at a time and hopefully the results will follow. The manager needs to take some of the pressure off in terms of league position and keep it firmly on performances. IF in 10-12 games time we find ourselves in striking distance, then hopefully there's enough in the tank for a final push. 

Until then, forget about it. We're a million miles away. I don't advocate locking the thread or giving up, but I do think we need to be more sensible.

Maybe we as fans can help that by not getting in their backs. I know it's disappointing, but personally I'm already 'over it' and I'm OK with this rebuild taking a little longer than I had hoped. 

• Like 2