The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Can I ask you a question, not loaded at all, but do you go to the games?

What if we're here next year and winning often? That's all I really care about right now, winning a few sodding games. 

I usually average 5 home games a season... except for last season when I went to none, and this season when I've been to one so far - a depressing 2-2 draw with Nottingham Forest.

I would normally go with an Everton fan to the Everton game, with a Liverpool fan to the Liverpool game, with a Leicester fan occasionally, with a Man City glory hunter, etc and have great banter and fun.

I understand your point though.

But I miss those games, even though we might not win the hope was there, and was sweeter for it.

I cant really get excited in the same way about beating Huddersfield or Rotherham etc.

I just haven't enjoyed this season at all.

But yes, if we're winning lots of games, maybe I would enjoy it more.

Edited by ender4

4 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I've personally enjoyed it, maybe enjoy is the wrong word to use but it has been "refreshing".

Championship aint so bad as long as you have 'hope' - which we do in bucket loads thanks to Tony and his team. 

1 hour ago, sne said:

Hating every second in the Championship.

The football is awful, we are awful, for the most part I can't even see the games as they're not on the telly.

Sure I would enjoy it more if we were performing and winning.

But let's not kid ourselves, we've lost as many as we've won (OK we've won 1 more, big whoop). Most of the time we draw.

We don't even score any goals, only 5 teams have scored fewer goals than us. 28 in 27 is abysmal.

Guess it's nice to be the Man City of the Championship, being able to poach top players from the smaller teams. 

But as soon as you watch a game from the top flight that illusion is destroyed.

I think I heard somewhere that its the 4th most watched league in the world.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Never become a bookmaker ;)

Talking of which I think most bookies have us around 6/1? I think that's probably not far off. 

Yes he would loose a lot of money giving those odds. The bookmakers odds are normally slightly worse than the reality so its prob more like a 8/1 or 10/1 chance of us doing it.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Never become a bookmaker ;)

Talking of which I think most bookies have us around 6/1? I think that's probably not far off. 

Yeah, Best prices last night were 13/2 to make the play offs and 20/1 to be promoted as a result via play offs. 

If peeps are thinking of a punt then wait till after todays games as we will probably be a couple more points adrift so should get a better price once the new markets open. 

If i was a betting man then thats what i would be doing ;)

Looks like it's turned into a straight battle to catch 1 team now, Sheffield Wednesday.  They are 9 points ahead, and if we want playoffs we need to reel them in.

The other 3 teams 3rd-5th have pulled away out of sight.

Even worse, Sheffield play lowly Brentford next, so we probably need to win on Tuesday just to maintain the 9 point deficit.

9 hours ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I've personally enjoyed it, maybe enjoy is the wrong word to use but it has been "refreshing".

You are actually kind of right, in the recent past we havent been able to give any thought to "the push" for anything!

It's looking a mountain away already these last three games have ruined us. I expected Huddersfield to drop off by this point but still nothing. 

I think next season we will be top 6 for sure but I expect amavi to go so as long as we have a solid left back and a good goal keeper we have a very good chance

53 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

To have any chance we need to string a run of something like 5 wins together, I just don't see it.

we need a run like that at least, who knows, we might click finally and start spanking teams at Villa Park. Win 90% of our home games and only lose a couple away and we'll be close.

Big if though before we see our new midfield in action.

Whilst it is sobering being in this division, I'm almost at the point that I don't want us to go up...

Football is supposed to be fun, and largely the fun is to be gained through winning. When we were relegated I consoled myself with the idea that at least we might be the big fish and have a really enjoyable season that would see us regularly winning and, ultimately, promoted. That hasn't happened and scraping up through the playoffs would mean we'd go back to being reguarly beaten in the Premier League again having only watched a largely frustrating team struggle this season.

Now obviously my brain tells me we need to get up asap, but my heart and my enjoyment would kind of prefer us to have one more season in this division where we rip it up and thrash teams then go back to the big league. I just want a season where I can enjoy success, even if it is not quite at the highest level. Some might say Dr Xia will take us there in the Premier League but that's much more of a longshot in reality.

I know that might make little sense!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

When we were relegated I consoled myself with the idea that at least we might be the big fish and have a really enjoyable season that would see us regularly winning

my heart and my enjoyment would kind of prefer us to have one more season in this division where we rip it up and thrash teams then go back to the big league. I just want a season where I can enjoy success, even if it is not quite at the highest level.

The big worry is that next season would pretty much be our final chance.  If we cocked up next season (maybe thrashing teams in some games but somehow finishing 3rd and then not getting promoted)... then we could be stuck in the Championship for years/decades.

FFP would hit us, Xia might lose interest, etc.

If we were promoted this season, Premier League next season will be horrible for us, we would continuously get slaughtered.

I would rather our club build something solid i.e understanding and togetherness from the remainder of this season, have a solid pre-season, clear some players out and 3 extra players.   

It really saddens me to see/hear Villa fans giving a hard time to one of our own, a youngster who has only made 2 dozen or so starts and is still learning.

one who has so much promise and may yet deliver on it.

its a shame they can't channel their dislike into support.