The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Its not happening this season, we just need to try and improve as a side and build some momentum to take into next season.

Agreed.  Teams above us will need to drop points and we will need to be ruthless to get a strong winning streak.  We're just not ruthless enough and I don't think we'll turn that around enough even with additions to the squad.  What we need here is a strong finish to give us something to build upon over the summer to fully (hopefully) assert dominance next season. 

EDIT:  I'm not completely throwing the hat in just yet though - I still don't think it'll happen (I did say it was "game over" after the Wolves game) but a win today mixed with other favourable results will inevitably build up the pressure to the next game to see a repeat (and then things might just start to get interesting).  

Edited by trekka

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

Completely disagree, so 19 games to go is a total of 57 points, we are only ten points behind, possibly 7 by end of today? That's well within reach! 

I'll be very surprised if we don't make the play offs. 

10 points and 7 teams.

Sure it can be done, but it will take a total transformation by us, and I just don't see it happening.

Sadly.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Completely disagree, so 19 games to go is a total of 57 points, we are only ten points behind, possibly 7 by end of today? That's well within reach! 

I'll be very surprised if we don't make the play offs. 

There's also the matter of 7 other teams with less points to make up than us. 

I think the wolves game killed off our chances to be honest

But who knows if you won 6-7 on bounce you have  a chance. 

Problem is teams like Leeds, Reading, Wednesday and Derby don't lose many.

Edited by Demitri_C

42 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

There's also the matter of 7 other teams with less points to make up than us. 

Can't worry about what the 7 other teams do, all 7 of them will have slip ups and then you find yourself right back in the mix, seen it so many times at this level. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Can't worry about what the 7 other teams do, all 7 of them will have slip ups and then you find yourself right back in the mix, seen it so many times at this level. 

I think you do have to worry. The chances of 8 teams slipping up and us going on a run we haven't been on in years is very slim.

I think looking at the gap is pointless to measure our chances. Better off looking at the points total needed most years to finish 6th. 

By that measure it's not impossible but again very unlikely. 

51 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think you do have to worry. The chances of 8 teams slipping up and us going on a run we haven't been on in years is very slim.

There are 6 teams between us and Sheff Wednesday. We are three points off 10th, 5 points off 7th. There is also nothing in the goal difference either as Derby in 7th are only 4 goals better off than us same as Sheff Wednesday in 6th.

The door can certainly be completely shut on us very quickly and as quick as today. It can also really open up for us again. A win today for instance and we could be 10th.

Next five games are Preston (H), Brentford (A), Forest (A) Ipswich (H) and Barnsley (H). With Kodjia back and another 2 or 3 signings then I wouldn't rule out us taking 13 points from those. If we were to do that then I would be confident in saying we will likely be no lower than 8th in the table 4 points from 6th with 15 games to play.

Us reaching the play offs is a long shot but it is so tight between us and 7th with a handful points separating six teams that you put a good run together over 4 or 5 games and you can shoot up the table and be well in the mix. This next handful of games is crucial for us as I think if we can get into the mix then with Bruce's experience, the team at that stage full of confidence and on a roll and a fan base with a sniff of us being promoted then we could steam roll through the rest of the season.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Only way we have a chance is to win today and then when we get the African players back and finish January window with some more strong additions.  If we do we then need to win the next 3 or 4 matches in a row. 

This would surely put us withing 5 points or so with a couple of months remaining which then makes it doable. 

But the key is winning the next 4 or 5 games,  any loss or draw and I will throw in the towel. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Only way we have a chance is to win today and then when we get the African players back and finish January window with some more strong additions.  If we do we then need to win the next 3 or 4 matches in a row. 

This would surely put us withing 5 points or so with a couple of months remaining which then makes it doable. 

But the key is winning the next 4 or 5 games,  any loss or draw and I will throw in the towel. 

Exactly. Teams will lose 1-2 points eventually and will play each other. We will also play them for a second time..  its just going to be hard as we will also lose quite a few more as we go. Need to go on a 4-5 game winning streak NOW.. to give us a chance. 

We need the following

Gk - no more costly errors

RB - No more Hutton

CB - Baker to stay fit

LB - Amavi to "un-turn" his head

DM - New signing/Jedi stay fit

CM - Lambcurry to hit the ground running

CM - Hooligan in & hit the ground running

CM - no more Westwood, Gardner, (Bacuna & Tish only as kast resort)

LW - Green to get assists when called upon

AM - Grealish & McC to be consistantly in form

CF - Kodjia to come back injury free and just be Kodjia

CF - New Signing

Not much really

5 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Why not tho? 19 games to play, only 10 points off the play off places, I'd say there's a great chance still! :)

Great? I think that's bold. 

There's still a chance, IF we win today and IF we get our targets in and IF Kodjia returns before our next game. 

If not, I'm not seeing it. Today is our first real 'must win' IMO. 

22 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

All those silly points we dropped early on in the season :(

I honestly think that managerial bums like Stuart Pearce, Paulo Di Canio, and Ian bloody Holloway would all have picked up more points than RDM with the squad of players available. 

Regardless of our start to the season if we are good enough to get in the play offs we will get in them. We are not so far behind that we can't.

We WOULD need to go on a winning run, but only because all the top 6 have had good winning runs and we haven't.

If we can't manage such a run, a Play off place would neither be achievable, deserved, or helpful.

• Like 1