Jordan Veretout

MikeMcKenna

21 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

Jordan Veretout will move to St Etienne for £5m rising with add-ons to £7m - the same amount he cost Villa two years ago from Nantes. There's also a significant sell-on fee if Veretout leaves St Etienne.

This is according to Pat Murphy - which seems OK to me. We took a chance on a player, who didn't step up.

If true we did very, very well to get back what we paid for him. 

• Like 1

Disappointed all round - he was the most exciting of those young, foreign signings we made at the time.  Showed glimpses of being a good midfielder during his time playing in a disastrous Premier League team and also during pre-season this time round.

I guess, however, he'll be happy to be moving back to France and we're managing to recoup some money for a player which is increasingly rare for whatever reason.

If the latest figures are true, we have done well to recoup a lot of that money.

At the time it seemed a promising signing, however he hasn't really offered anything. He got a few assists but I can't remember him really impacting a game in a positive manner.  As a club we hadn't helped by the way it was run while he was here, but it's now best to say our goodbyes.

He has had one very good season in Ligue 1, so it is always going to be difficult to recoup our money, which in hindsight now was another terrible purchase by our old structure.

He is a good player who struggled his first year in a foreign nation with a godawful side. He went back to France and showed his worth. He came back to us, didn't throw a fuss or refuse to train. He actually apparently impressed Bruce a lot in training. Veretout also showed well in preseason matches, and now we are selling him for nearly half of what we paid only 2 years ago. 

Terrible business all around. He would have improved the team and now when we are hit with an injury crisis, we will be stuck with the likes of Gardner and Bacuna in the midfield instead of having Lansbury and Veretout. 

• Like 1

http://sportwitness.co.uk/aston-villa-transfer-set-last-minute-change-player-dodges-medical/

Aston Villa transfer set for last minute change, player skips medical, €7m move agreed,

Nothing with Aston Villa midfielder Jordan Veretout is ever going to be simple, and his transfer to Saint-Etienne is looking that way.

On loan at the French club last summer, Veretout was this week the subject of encouragement form Oscar Garcia to join the French club, and it looked like the manager had got his way.

Garcia had telephoned Veretout to talk him into the move, and after a period of reflection, the Aston Villa player agreed.

L’Equipe say Veretout was expected at Saint-Etienne today for a medical and to sign a four year contract, but didn’t show up for the tests.

The reason for that is interest from Fiorentina, with Veretout seemingly more attracted by the Serie A club.

Italian journalist Alfredo Pedulla is claiming an exclusive that Fiorentina have already agreed a deal to pay Aston Villa €7m, and Veretout will sign a contract for five seasons.

It’s presented as a done deal

Just now, daggy_333 said:

villareport‏ @villareport  1h1 hour ago

More

Jordan Veretout didn't turn up for his Saint-Etienne medical today. [l'equipe] #avfc

Florentina hijacking apparently and willing to pay 7m up front.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

villareport‏ @villareport  1h1 hour ago

More

Jordan Veretout didn't turn up for his Saint-Etienne medical today. [l'equipe] #avfc

Didn't he do that last summer with Marseillle.

And it was all agreed with Leicester but he was claiming he was going to strike to get a move to us, that was a good move.

Probably best he didn't learn the language as he strikes me as quite a difficult character once he wants something!

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Image result for tim sherwood

Didn't Sherwood publicly complain that he wasn't allowed to bring his own players in? I thought we had a team of "experts" in that period who were making the signings?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd take Veretout over Whelan. I guess we'll see, but as a signal of the direction we're heading, this one doesn't fill me with a great deal of confidence.

In terms of ability I'd take Veretout over Whelan every day of the week but In terms of commitment, attitude and application I'd have Whelan.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hippo said:

You don't have to be great to play in the CL - look at some of the players in scotland who play CL games.

more impressive since Veretout never played Champions League

Â