Christian Benteke

Kwan

On 03/12/2018 at 18:05, Xela said:

Like you say, all his agent was interested in was moving him around as often as possible. 

I don't even believe his agent was an agent in the real sense. Benteke was his only client - I think he used to teach him English or something.

Such a shame. Really loved him as a player.

On 16/12/2018 at 23:20, Brumstopdogs said:

48391473_1970864003003626_86531276784816

I don't know if it's the lens/angle but he looks facially bloated. That's not the lean face of the loping athlete we had.

Whatever, I've said before, I've as much goodwill and affection for him as he ever had for us. None. He had one purpose in his life when he hit England - having gone on strike to get to England - and that was to make as much money from his job as he could, as quickly as he could. Nothing wrong with that but it is mutually exclusive with loyalty and legacy building in most cases.

You could call that image Chalk And Cheese. Jack is playing for the club he has feelings for and for the joy of playing. The loadsamoney is a fortunate and welcome by-product for him. Benteke is all about the filthy lucre. It's a job. He couldn't and didn't give a rat's ass about AVFC or the fans. What he did give a rat's ass about was handing in transfer request after less than a year.

Now that's his prerogative of course. But at that point he killed any nascent liking I might have had for him. I don't care if he withdrew his request, he showed what he was and made clear he'd be moving on and didn't see us as a place he'd forge his legend and bring success.

So when he went, I was pleased we got a good wedge and thought, "Well **** him, who gives a damn what happens to him now."

I now I still think "**** him". In fact I now think "**** him and the horse he rode in on." He used us a springboard once when he was an improving up and coming striker. As for any notion of him using us as springboard now his career is in the crapper? Don't make me laugh. If we are going to have players who are not going to hang around long, Tammy is the kind of player we should be giving short term playing time to. Young, hungry players like Benteke once was. The Benteke of now? Jog on, if he's fit enough. If he's missing the Midlands so badly, maybe Wolves will take him but maybe Walsall is where he should be now to try to get things back on track.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, privateer said:

I don't know if it's the lens/angle but he looks facially bloated. That's not the lean face of the loping athlete we had.

Whatever, I've said before, I've as much goodwill and affection for him as he ever had for us. None. He had one purpose in his life when he hit England - having gone on strike to get to England - and that was to make as much money from his job as he could, as quickly as he could. Nothing wrong with that but it is mutually exclusive with loyalty and legacy building in most cases.

You could call that image Chalk And Cheese. Jack is playing for the club he has feelings for and for the joy of playing. The loadsamoney is a fortunate and welcome by-product for him. Benteke is all about the filthy lucre. It's a job. He couldn't and didn't give a rat's ass about AVFC or the fans. What he did give a rat's ass about was handing in transfer request after less than a year.

Now that's his prerogative of course. But at that point he killed any nascent liking I might have had for him. I don't care if he withdrew his request, he showed what he was and made clear he'd be moving on and didn't see us as a place he'd forge his legend and bring success.

So when he went, I was pleased we got a good wedge and thought, "Well **** him, who gives a damn what happens to him now."

I now I still think "**** him". In fact I now think "**** him and the horse he rode in on." He used us a springboard once when he was an improving up and coming striker. As for any notion of him using us as springboard now his career is in the crapper? Don't make me laugh. If we are going to have players who are not going to hang around long, Tammy is the kind of player we should be giving short term playing time to. Young, hungry players like Benteke once was. The Benteke of now? Jog on, if he's fit enough. If he's missing the Midlands so badly, maybe Wolves will take him but maybe Walsall is where he should be now to try to get things back on track.

I think we got his best form, prior to his injuries, and made a decent amount of money on him. I feel the same about him as you, I think it is the mark of his character. IIRC he made a 'stepping stone' comment when he first arrived at the Villa and also his hilarious tweet announcing he had signed for Burnley when it was Palace. As you say to him it's a job, which is fine, but it cuts both ways, he doesn't get the goodwill.  Regardless, I would not want him back as I think he wouldn't be a good option.

Genuinely makes me sad to see how poor he's become now. 

What a player he was for us, pretty much carried the team on his back for the 3 seasons he was here. The best striker I've seen in a Villa shirt, absolutely incredible at times. 

• Like 3

An absolute monster for us, and my favourite player for a long while. Until Grealish and McGinn this season. 

I was listening to Talksport the other day and Allardyce was talking about him, saying if Palace get him fit he’s top class. He likened him to Andy Carroll that when he is rehabbing from injury he doesn’t give it his all, which makes a huge difference. 

He also said that he was better than Andy Carroll at attacking the ball in the air. 

The biggest revelation was the explanation of the Westwood floaty corners for all those years. That’s how Benteke wanted them according to Allardyce. 

18 hours ago, Keyblade said:

2013 Benteke looked like he was going to become the best in the world. 

😱 ah no he didn't. A lot of people on here have a very rose tinted view of him. He was lazy, constantly getting caught offside and missed a lot of chances while he was here. No doubt he was a very good player for us but he was never half as good as some people seem to think. 

• Like 1

His move to Liverpool didn't make any sense at all.  I remember reading a statistic that he won more headers than any other striker in the top 5 leagues in Europe in his last season for us, but he signed for Liverpool, who crossed the ball the least of any team in the Premier League the same season.  Bigger club, champions league football, and a higher salary are why he signed for Liverpool, but it effectively destroyed his career.

I also disagree with the sentiment that he was lazy.  He singlehandedly kept us in the Premier League in at least one of the seasons he was playing for us.  Our entire game plan revolved around Benteke and we looked completely lost if he was out of the team or having a bad performance.  He got frustrated because our midfield lacked creativity and needed to try to make things happen himself, which is why he got caught offside a lot.  He had a bit of arrogance about him, like knew he was our best player and handled himself accordingly.  His performances backed it up, though, unlike Gabby who still thought it necessary to rub it in our faces after he hadn't scored a goal in almost a year.  

There was a period of time where you could easily argue that we had the most in form striker in the league.

I think perceptions of how good he was were inflated because he was not a big name signing yet came and scored 19 goals in his debut season.

Some of his solo efforts were very impressive. He was not lazy for Villa, he was always attempting to beat his man and putting himself right where we wanted him.

I remember the goal when we were playing Norwich, he had his back to goal, chested down a pass and hit it first time on the volley from near the top of the box.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Was a stat during his time here that only Aguero, Suarez and Van Persie had more league goals than him and them players weren't playing with Westwood, Weimann and Gabby

He was that good

Yep it was this, always my go to stat when people suggest he wasn’t that good in the first place. Plus how many games did he miss while out injured? Fantastic record really.

1F97E371-E621-48F1-B08C-EC3D992127F5.jpeg

Edited by Shropshire Lad

11 hours ago, villa89 said:

😱 ah no he didn't. A lot of people on here have a very rose tinted view of him. He was lazy, constantly getting caught offside and missed a lot of chances while he was here. No doubt he was a very good player for us but he was never half as good as some people seem to think. 

"Best in the world" a step too far, but certainly was on track to become one of the best strikers in the world IMO. He literally had the lot, finishing with his feet or head, great hold up play, very good one touch passing and an ability to lay the ball off, was deceptively quick and had good control of the ball. He's what you'd call a 'complete number 9' and there's really not many of those around. 

• Like 2

Â