Christian Benteke

Kwan

Definitely would not have Benteke back. Should be scoring a hatful in that Palace side playing alongside the likes of Zaha and Batshuayi etc but his goalscoring in the last two years has been truly terrible - 3 goals. It would be very difficult to try to revive a player that is in his late 20s and who relies far too much on confidence. I look at Tammy, and even when he misses a penalty against he still has the gall to step up and take one against Bristol. That suggests to me he has a lot of belief in his own ability, unlike Benteke. I also think Tammy has a lot more of an all-round game than Benteke, who struck me as quite physical and reliant on a lot of balls into the box. 

Not gonna deny he was brilliant in his heyday for us and one of the few very good signings under Lambert, but we had an absolutely shocking team at that time. He was about the only decent player in it along with Delph and Vlaar. You can see why he left as he knew the only way was downwards for Villa with no investment, but moving away has hardly been a success for him. 

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

I’m quite enjoying the condemnation of someone for having the gall to try and progress in their career. 

That's questionable though, Liverpool are a bigger fish than us obviously but they were never the right fit for him, he's not a klopp player in a month of Sunday's and regardless of what their half and half scarves tell you the Scousers soon turn on underperformers and have a history of churning out strikers

Not doubting he should have left us because we were a poor side but his agent was a dick and got him a big money move that didn't benefit his career

If he had gone to Dortmund and been a success then I think we would all be happy for him

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

In fairness Klopp destroyed him. He was a confidence player 

He had a one good season under Palace so couldn't have destroyed him that bad. Hes just not that good or consistent. He's always been lazy but he did well for Lambert at first because we built the team around him, Sherwood did the same. But now he cant ever do it at Palace. 

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

I’m quite enjoying the condemnation of someone for having the gall to try and progress in their career. 

I’m not condemning anyone, I’d have done exactly the same as him as well and it’s unfortunate he hasn’t made the progression he was once capable of. All I’m saying is that his bank account probably softens the blow of a declining career and whether he cares about getting back to where he was. I’d be over the moon if I was in his position. 

18 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

He definitely was. Never got over that achilles injury.

Desire to get back properly and all that probably wasn't there.

What a **** force he was when he was on.

Don't think we can blame the Achilles injury he was bloody brilliant under Sherwood.

His record at Liverpool wasn't actually too bad either in the first season.  Pretty sure he got into double figures despite very limited playing time.

8 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Don't think we can blame the Achilles injury he was bloody brilliant under Sherwood.

His record at Liverpool wasn't actually too bad either in the first season.  Pretty sure he got into double figures despite very limited playing time.

Not the same player IMO.

On 15/04/2019 at 10:27, villa4europe said:

That's questionable though, Liverpool are a bigger fish than us obviously but they were never the right fit for him, he's not a klopp player in a month of Sunday's and regardless of what their half and half scarves tell you the Scousers soon turn on underperformers and have a history of churning out strikers

Not doubting he should have left us because we were a poor side but his agent was a dick and got him a big money move that didn't benefit his career

If he had gone to Dortmund and been a success then I think we would all be happy for him

Wasn't he signed by Rodgers?

He is a very streaky player. Always was. There were months for us where Benteke was dreadful, but we had to play him because we had no other real options. 

At liverpool, he didn't suit their playing style. 

He moved to palace and started well, but when he hit a bad run of form, they had someone else step up. Now Benteke is in a pressure situation where he has to perform, and he can't. I'm sure if Palace played him constantly for 2 months he'd find his form again, but they won't do that. We did. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I don’t. I think he will not be automatic starter there

Not at first, no. But once he gets some playing time under his belt, I can easily see him dislodging Alli from the starting XI at both Spurs and England. He's really that good. Anyway, I want to stop imagining this scenario :lol:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mantis said:

I don't begrudge him going to Liverpool (he had a release clause anyway) but it's sad how it totally killed his career.

I don't agree that Liverpool did kill his career. Other players have failed at bigger clubs and then went on to good things. Dean Saunders moved from Derby to Liverpool, wasn't really up to it there and yet went on to being a great player for us. 

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Scored today

Always had a good scoring record v Arsenal for us, remember the opening day of 13-14 season very fondly.

They wised up in the cup final though, remember Sczeney coming off his line for every single cross we did which nulified him completely.

Â