Christian Benteke

Kwan

21 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He was brilliant, and was pretty much the only bright spark in a dismal few years for us, but his performances this season have been embarrassing, and if all he wants from his career at this point is a couple of cash-in years in China we should steer well clear. I wouldn't want to jeopardise the incredible team spirit we have painstakingly built (and will slowly lose anyway if/when we get promoted) for someone whose head isn't in it. 

The fans loved him here, I think he would be the tekkers we all loved

Lets not forget how Palace fans turned on him when he missed tha5 penalty 

52 minutes ago, sne said:

Apparently Benteke and his people are looking to cash in and bugger off to the Chinese league in the summer.

I'd say get a new agent, but then again he'll make Scrooge McDuck level money there so who can blame him...

No surprise really. He went on strike to join a higher placed Belgian team. Went on strike to join us and probably would’ve done the same to leave us. Unfortunately hasn’t the drive to get to the very top.

He's always been looking ahead for his next move/payday. 

He was immense for us but he was always looking to  leave. I have good memories of him but he'll never be a 'legend' or villa great in my eyes. 

He could have been so much better if he put some effort in

47 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

He was brilliant, and was pretty much the only bright spark in a dismal few years for us, but his performances this season have been embarrassing, and if all he wants from his career at this point is a couple of cash-in years in China we should steer well clear. I wouldn't want to jeopardise the incredible team spirit we have painstakingly built (and will slowly lose anyway if/when we get promoted) for someone whose head isn't in it. 

Agreed. Its taken years to get rid of the bad apples and would't want to jeopardise that. 

25 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The fans loved him here, I think he would be the tekkers we all loved

Lets not forget how Palace fans turned on him when he missed tha5 penalty 

He did great for us but I don't believe he has any lasting affection for us. We were a means to an end. 

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

For the right price I'd gamble, he was very good last season and it's possible that we can revive that Benteke. Totally agree that he has been utter garbage this season, but coming back to the club where he played the best football of his career could bring something out of him, but again, very much depends on the price, i.e. if his wage is significantly lower than what he picks up currently and the fee is south of 8 figures.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Why?

Just an incline. Signed him before, rates him, whereas Benteke has regressed since leaving us (minus a half decent year with Palace last season).

Werent we bidding for him before we signed McCormack/Hogan? Think it was when RDM was manager but still, is a viable option.

Not saying he'd be top of my list, but he'll want out of Hull next season, and if we are looking for a cut price deal for a forward who knows, dont see why Bruce wouldnt go in for someone like that.

5 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

Just an incline. Signed him before, rates him, whereas Benteke has regressed since leaving us (minus a half decent year with Palace last season).

Werent we bidding for him before we signed McCormack/Hogan? Think it was when RDM was manager but still, is a viable option.

Not saying he'd be top of my list, but he'll want out of Hull next season, and if we are looking for a cut price deal for a forward who knows, dont see why Bruce wouldnt go in for someone like that.

We were in for him at this level. 

I suspect and hope that’s bruce would set his sights higher than Hernandez when we’re in the prem

1 hour ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

I think Hernandez's agent annoyed Dr. T with outrageous fees. I seem to remember him mentioning it on twitter (but maybe I''m mixed up.)

Benteke's time in England.
Years 1 -3:        3 very good premier league years with us albeit in a team battling relegation.
Year 4:              A stop start unsettled year with Plop which saw the manager that signed him get the sack. Scored 10 goals, 6 assists.
Year 5:              Last season with Palace he scored 17 goals.
Year 6:              He's had a very poor season.

The way I read that is that in 6 years he's had 4 good years. The year at Liverpool was average but there are mitigating circumstances with Klopp replacing Brenda. His 1st year at Palace was good and he's had 1 bad year.

Maybe it's sentiment but bringing him back the the club that will love him, with Brucey and a good team around him I think he could be a good weapon. Dependent on Bruce and his team meeting him and assessing where his head is.

12 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Benteke's time in England.
Years 1 -3:        3 very good premier league years with us albeit in a team battling relegation.
Year 4:              A stop start unsettled year with Plop which saw the manager that signed him get the sack. Scored 10 goals, 6 assists.
Year 5:              Last season with Palace he scored 17 goals.
Year 6:              He's had a very poor season.

The way I read that is that in 6 years he's had 4 good years. The year at Liverpool was average but there are mitigating circumstances with Klopp replacing Brenda. His 1st year at Palace was good and he's had 1 bad year.

Maybe it's sentiment but bringing him back the the club that will love him, with Brucey and a good team around him I think he could be a good weapon. Dependent on Bruce and his team meeting him and assessing where his head is.

I have barely seen him play since he left, but this is a very decent return over 6 years.

As I said I haven't seen him play, so can't really hold an opinion, but as far as numbers go we could do worse.

17 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

Yep, reported by Nixon. On twitter who is very itk

What a waste of a career, I genuinely thought he would be a huge player when he was with us

Would you consider Drogba a huge player? CB is over halfway to similar goal contribution to Drogba and he's still only 27. Drogba did have a 30 goal season which I don't think CB will achieve but as far as averages go they are pretty similar.

As I say above, I haven't watched him, but it would seem there's still a very decent PL striker in him.

Â