Ashley Young

maqroll

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The irony is, this is a player who probably deserves a " Bring him home " or " Welcome back " more than the likes of Tammy/Benteke who people fantasise about IMO.

Yes the latter played a huge part in bringing us up/keeping us up respectively. But Young brings me back to a more recent patch of joy and relative success in our history.

Unfinished business, time for him to now help us push into the place we were meant to, with him the first time round.

Absolutely 100%. Tammy was one season and not really ours. I have absolutely no nostalgia for the Lambert era, no matter how awesome Benteke was.

However there is so much nostalgia for Ashley Young's era. My favourite few seasons in my lifetime and probably top 3 players from that era with Carew and Laursen. Would be buzzing to see him back. I'm not one for getting names on shirts however I may even break the habit of a lifetime for Young.

Edited by Okonokos
  • Like 1

Just now, Supervillan78 said:

Fundamentally I don’t think he’s good enough to play Premier League football anymore. Sorry. 

You may be right (we’ll see) but he was still doing a job for Inter a few weeks ago. As long as Targett and Cash stay fit we shouldn’t need to find out! 

Depending on how it goes this season, they might look again at both FB positions next summer. This at least let’s us focus the budget on where we need it now - midfield. 

33 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I am warming up to the idea tbh. I mean Conte is notorious for his high standards, if he thought Ashley young was good enough to win Seria A then he is good enough to be a rotation player for a mid table (hopefully higher) pl side.

Conte doesn't have any passengers. Every player has to earn his place. You'd have to be in superb condition to play in his team at the age of 35.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I'm pleased with this. Young and Guilbert as backup to Targett and Cash sounds pretty good to me. 

I'm think young as back up to Targett and Jack but I'm not sure if young has played that far up in years 

I will say this, watched him for Inter a few times last season and was still quite impressed by Young. Fair enough didn't watch him week in week out but I can understand the reasoning for going with this one as a backup. Still looked lively and his delivery was solid, plus he'll probably be a cheaper deal. 

On a personal note I have fond memories of Young at Villa, so it seems fitting in a way.

Edited by MachoFantastico

4 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

So, is he any good? Has anyone ever watched him play?

Interesting question.

I wonder if the Villa scouting team keeps tabs on great players nearing the end of their careers, looking for a bargain.  This of course assuming Villa has any interest in Ashley and other players of similar quality?

As I said earlier in the thread the narrative out of Villa for this window is "smart". That tells me we can't throw money willy nilly nor should we. 

We don't have a bottomless pit and we need to be sustainable as a business. We need to be making healthy revenue to be competitive. Unfortunately Villa are not an attractive commercial entity. Therefore we have to be careful with what we spend and now I'd expect us to tail off in terms of transfer window purchases hence the likes of Ashley Young will be bought to compliment the squad. 

Could be a masterstroke and will be beneficial for all especially on the training field. I hope he is being bought back in a mentoring capacity too. 

I think the idea of him being brought as cover for the fullback positions is just guesswork from the papers, I wouldn't be surprised if he never plays there for us, especially not in a back four, last few seasons he's been playing as left winger for Inter Milan in a 352 system, and if he signs I imagine he will have a similar role for us when called upon, can also see him being used in central midfield at times as well when we need to keep the ball and see out a game.

• Like 1

An experienced player will help Villa massively.

I have no idea if he'll be starting games regularly or not, guess it depends on injuries and suspensions.

However someone with his savvy might make a difference in games we are expecting to win such as the likes of Brighton, Sheff. Utd, and Burnley. These are the games we'd really need that experience a player like Young would give us.

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

As I said earlier in the thread the narrative out of Villa for this window is "smart". That tells me we can't throw money willy nilly nor should we. 

We don't have a bottomless pit and we need to be sustainable as a business. We need to be making healthy revenue to be competitive. Unfortunately Villa are not an attractive commercial entity. Therefore we have to be careful with what we spend and now I'd expect us to tail off in terms of transfer window purchases hence the likes of Ashley Young will be bought to compliment the squad. 

Could be a masterstroke and will be beneficial for all especially on the training field. I hope he is being bought back in a mentoring capacity too. 

Not sure I agree with this. We have more money to throw at players than the vast majority of clubs in the PL, which is the world’s richest league.

The main reason we aren’t throwing £100m at players is any player genuinely worth £100m wouldn’t come to a non-Champions League club.

Yes we are smart and are always looking for good value in the market, but I’m not sure we’re in the same position as (eg) Spurs who need to fund transfers with revenue. We’ll be running at a loss for a while, and our owners are comfortable with that, because they can afford it.

Just my take, anyway - can’t claim detailed understanding of what’s going on behind the scenes, but given we haven’t sold anybody for big money recently, it seems to stack up.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I wouldn’t be so sure as to say we don’t have a bottomless pit…. And I’m sure our commercial revenue is going to improve year on year, especially once we are consistently competing for a top 4 spot which feels nailed on to happen with these guys in charge. 

• Like 1

we lost 3 of our "experienced" pros in Taylor, Elmo, and Heaton. Kalinić & Hourihane are our oldest players in the squad at 31 & 30 respectively. While obviously we're going for a younger squad, we might need to have that experienced pro in our squad. 

• Like 1

Â