Ashley Young

maqroll

I doubt he'd be on more than Elmo and Taylor combined, which is essentially what he'll be replacing, while being better than both. Sounds like a net positive for us, financially even. Sounds more and more sensible the more you think about it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another example of hearing about it as being possible one minute and then getting it (as good as) done the next.

I LOVE the way we are being run, but even more so, I love the experts who have been stating with absolutely certainty it ain't happening because he doesn't fit the policy.

What's that? Ahh yes, it's the sound of the rule book being torn up!

He's versatile which is ideal from the bench. I think some of the people against this forget that we're allowed to make subs / pick different starting XI's during the season. 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Comparing Ashley young to Elmo, is borderline disrespectful to be honest. lol

Villa was/is the high point of Elmos career.

Villa was the mid level/point of Youngs career.

Also totally different players.

Played his best football for us though.  He was absolute fire that 08/09 season.

Seems like this is actually happening then, rather than being a hypothetical.

I'm pleased with this. He's an excellent player with a lot of pedigree and if handled correctly (i.e. not given a long term contract) I think this sort of signing can work really well. And unlike under previous regimes, I'm confident that we have done the financial due dilligence that means he won't become a millstone around our neck.

Hopefully Targett and Cash can learn a thing or two from him on the pitch and in the dressing room too, and become even better than they currently are.

Just now, skarroki said:

He's versatile which is ideal from the bench. I think some of the people against this forget that we're allowed to make subs / pick different starting XI's during the season. 

Exactly.

They are solving our biggest weakness from last year.

Imagine supporting a club that shares the same concerns you have and then sorts them out, one by one, properly.

I can't remember Villa ever being this efficient and I've been following 'em for forty years!

• Like 2

Blimey, pleasantly surprised by this one. Seems a very handy bridge signing before younger options bulk out. I'm curious as to what he has been told to expect in terms of game time though

• Like 1

If Percy says it's happening, it's happening. Clever signing for us, but still a bit bemused as to what Young feels he's getting out of it. He surely won't start many games? Is he being given an opportunity to join the coaching staff post-retirement?

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

If Percy says it's happening, it's happening. Clever signing for us, but still a bit bemused as to what Young feels he's getting out of it. He surely won't start many games? Is he being given an opportunity to join the coaching staff post-retirement?

Might be as simple as him wanting a few more years of decent money and he doesn't want to live in Burnley?

• Like 1

I mean yes, if the options are only Villa or Burnley then it makes sense. But I imagine there's quite a few places he could go, and I doubt he's struggling for cash. Just interested in what he's been promised in terms of long-term opportunity - my guess is a chance to get involved with coaching.

27 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Played his best football for us though.  He was absolute fire that 08/09 season.

He became progressively more defensive as his career went on. He started as a forward at Watford, a winger at us, and ended up as a left back for England, Man U and Inter Milan.

In the 20 odd years I have regularly watched Villa he was the best crosser of the ball I have seen.

Â