Ashley Young

maqroll

36 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

You could be right about him still having things to give but Vieira played over 30 games all comps in the season before he retired. I'd be surprised if Young played more than 5 should he sign.

You're right that on a one year deal it wouldn't be too expensive and may suit the budget but again like Vieira, Kompany played 26 games all comps in his last year at City. I really don't think Young would feature much at all.

I wouldn't expect him to be playing every week and if we do sign him there's no way they'd be planning for him to be a first team regular. Yeah, if he was being signed to be a first team regular then I'd be worried but no way is that the case.

I just think it would be nice to have him to fill in if we have an injury crisis at some point or he could be used now and then as a sub when we're winning to run down the clock with his know-how. He'll be good to have around the squad.

Edited by Okonokos

1 minute ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Which positions do you think Young would be making these 20 appearances in? Even if we assume he'd be 2nd choice LB and RB, and 3rd choice at LW and RW, without a season ending injury for a fullback I can't see when he'd be utilised at all.

The role he has played for Conte seems to be exclusively LWB in a 3-5-2. We don't really have a similar role I don't think.

I'm not sure he'd even be willing to sit on the bench as emergency fullback cover for a season when he could probably be starting games at LM for Burnley instead.

Targett wont play 38 games again, I hope he does but the law of averages means he is bound to get an injury. Cash we have seen is capable of picking up cards. If we go away to City or something Young is also a better wide option defensively than Traore or El Ghazi

If we sign him and he doesnt play 20 games because Cash and Targett are available then thats fine with me. I dont understand the hate towards a back up signing which is needed in our squad

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If we sign him and he doesnt play 20 games because Cash and Targett are available then thats fine with me. I dont understand the hate towards a back up signing which is needed in our squad

It's not hate, I'd just rather the backup spots had a more long term vision of integrating young players in to the squad to grow into starters like Konsa as a back up CB originally, rather than old ones that will just leave us needing to plug the exact same gap in 12 months.

1 minute ago, YouUnastanFren said:

It's not hate, I'd just rather the backup spots had a more long term vision of integrating young players in to the squad to grow into starters like Konsa as a back up CB originally, rather than old ones that will just leave us needing to plug the exact same gap in 12 months.

maybe we see Kesler and Chrisene doing this from 2022 season

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Milner on Loan then we signed him for around £8m, a season later.

Steve Staunton was another example which I think someone else has mentioned already.

Sid Cowans another one as well. Twice!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Denaldinho said:

I would welcome him back -  Just won the league with inter he is still a quality player that can cover variety of positions.

Exactly. We lose Neil Taylor and Elmohamady and replace them with a bloke that helped Inter Milan win Serie A last season.

For now it’s better than spunking £20m for Rico Henry to sit on the bench.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Arlind Sadiku.

Thanks mate, I still can't find anything, all I see is sky reporting on what's been posted by the likes of football insider..

If his fitness is at the required level then this could be a masterstroke. Although it doesn't fit the Villa way, it's an intriguing proposition and we did sign Reyna so maybe they are open to deals for the elderly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well I spent the best part of 3 pages of the summer transfer gossip page banging on about bringing in an experienced left back as a squad option so I'm obviously very much loving the sound of this deal. Think it's exactly what we need and exactly the kind of signing that makes sense for where we are currently as a side. 

• Like 3

Â