Ashley Young

maqroll

6 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

we lost 3 of our "experienced" pros in Taylor, Elmo, and Heaton. Kalinić & Hourihane are our oldest players in the squad at 31 & 30 respectively. While obviously we're going for a younger squad, we might need to have that experienced pro in our squad. 

Completely forgot Kalinic was still at the club! 

I don't know about others but I have found memories of Ash at Villa. He gave us 4 good years and I fully understood when he left to go to that lot up north. He knew by then that Lerner had given up and he was in his right to further his career. We got a £10 million pound profit on him as well.

• Like 1

The only thing I don't like is that if he's happy to be a back-up, as I read somewhere. I want him to push for a starting role. Targett, Cash, Traore  El-Ghazi and the rest need someone to breath down their neck. 

Christ. Not sure I can be talked into this being a good idea. First season away from the club that made his name he dived to win a penalty in front of the fans that once adored him staring relegation in the face. Didn't he refuse to sign kids' autographs any number of times too at VP? Nice fella. Slightly gutted about this.

35 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

I mean if he's free it's a good deal. 

Not necessarily. Wages could be steep, big signing-on bonus, big agent fee. Bosmans can easily end up being more expensive than a shrewd transfer for a younger player in contract elsewhere. It really all depends on output at the end of the day, doesn't it? And not wanting to get lumped with a has-been on an unnecessarily long contract where he can just phone it in for the remainder of his days and pick up a hefty paycheck.

The other element to this deal that could be quite dangerous and hasn't really been discussed is the potential impact of bringing a big time charlie into our very united and positive dressing room atmosphere. I'm not saying Ashley is problematic but he's just done several years at ManUre and then Internazionale. I'd worry it could shake things up for the worse to have this guy potentially swaggering around on 100k p/w and acting like he runs the place.

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

maybe we see Kesler and Chrisene doing this from 2022 season

Fair point. If this is the plan then an old Young as emergency back up for a year is fine.

He'd be the oldest player we've signed since Pires. Can only hope it goes nothing like that did.

1 minute ago, YouUnastanFren said:

He'd be the oldest player we've signed since Pires. Can only hope it goes nothing like that did.

That's a fair comparison: past it, moody, arrogant, expensive, pointless.

23 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

Christ. Not sure I can be talked into this being a good idea. First season away from the club that made his name he dived to win a penalty in front of the fans that once adored him staring relegation in the face. Didn't he refuse to sign kids' autographs any number of times too at VP? Nice fella. Slightly gutted about this.

We could probably equally find 100 positive contributions he made to the club.

As with everything, we can concoct whichever narrative we want.

Video looks like it was recorded on a potato though.

• Like 1

Would seem a strange signing on the surface, but a good pro who knows the club and league and can come in and cover the full back positions and wide positions on a free transfer. Could see him playing 10/15 games and would be a great option from the bench at full back when chasing a game.

I seem to recall he used to take freekicks for us ? 

We need a free kick taker.

While not my number one choice for a signing, he can play down the left, the middle or off watkins.

Can see it going all or nothing, inspired and a key member of the first team or it going barkley up

Edited by brummybloke

4 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

I seem to recall he used to take freekicks for us ? 

We need a free kick taker.

While not my number one choice for a signing, he can play down the middle or off watkins.

Can see it going all or nothing, inspired and a key member of the first team or it going barkley up

I would suggest Young is in far better physical nick than Barkley even if he is about 8 years older.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tayls said:

Have we ever resigned someone?

Apologies if these have been mentioned already (alongside Cowans, Staunton and Milner) but you got me thinking with that question... I came up with three players I only saw in their second spells at Villa Park – Andy Blair, Steve Hunt and Andy Gray. In truth, I wasn’t even aware Steve Hunt was a re-signing until someone gave me a 1975 League Cup final programme a couple of years ago, and there he was (with loads of hair!). I thought the bald version I watched in the mid/late 80s had one of the best touches I have ever seen in a Villa midfielder.

Its a win win situation to sign him on a short-term contract on a free. He will be a good squad player, can play in a number of positions and those whipped in crosses are deadly. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

We could probably equally find 100 positive contributions he made to the club.

As with everything, we can concoct whichever narrative we want.

Video looks like it was recorded on a potato though.

Favorite part of this video is that you have to guess which one Young is in each clip.

• Haha 2

Â