Ashley Young

maqroll

Personally I don't see a point to this, he may be free but his wage demands will be pretty high I presume. I also presume he would want to play at his age and would not be happy to just sit on the bench. I would have thought if experience is what we needed then a better option would have been to keep Elmo, or Neil Taylor who have been part of the club setup very recently. It doesn't fit with what has been our transfer strategy. If it happens then OK, I trust Dean and the team but I'm not sure it will happen.

• Like 1

He’s turning 36, has had Covid which has affected him and his performances for Inter & it could possibly continue to do so, he’s not good enough as a PL LB (not strong or defensively adept, can’t see him having the legs to bomb up and down the pitch and be able to defend against the wingers and WFs in this league - Serie A is sadly much inferior now) or winger, will command a significant wage (he’s not going to come for peanuts!) and signing on fee…

We don’t play with wing backs, Young has played as an attacking LWB for Inter.

He will not be a backup LB (or a very poor one if he is), if we play him it will be on the wing to cover for other players.

It makes no sense to me. I would hope we’ve moved beyond stop gap signings and are continuing with our exciting strategy & approach… building for the future and further success.

I don’t like this short term approach plus his age is very off putting… it suits someone like Burnley to target him, not us, not now…

We already have experience in the squad and we have Terry, just 4 years older, in the coaching team to provide the “winning mentality” and the inspiration for the players.

How much contribution would Young realistically make? Would be a waste imo.

He’s not the same player he was for us all those years ago, no point taking any of that into account.

Disappointed by the link in all honesty.

Not trying to change anyone’s mind and everyone is entitled to their view. Just making mine clear… 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Taylor or Young.......One can play further up the field and take free kicks, the other...............

I think that about sums it up. Who would we rather see on the bench. If we're going for a short term deal it's because we need another year to get this position sorted long term. Will be fascinated to see how he fares - I trust in Deano!

• Like 1

This is happening then.

Credit to that Tom Collomosse, don't think I've seen him break anything regarding Villa before.

Perhaps we don't feel certain targets are either available or of the right level to pay for right now.

He won't be on a huge amount if he was close to moving to Burnley.

Not a problem with him as a wingback or even a winger for the odd bit of cover.

In a back four, it'll be an interesting one to see. Playing wingback for Inter he was on the front foot for the majority of his time on the pitch. He was good at Utd as a very aggressive full back, but with the Utd bias I remember him getting away with a lot of fouls that would lead to cards for us.

I just don't know about this one especially if he is going to cover the full back positions in a back 4. A wing back I could potentially see/be more comfortable with but not as a more defensive full back. I remember seeing Ashley Cole a couple of times against us in the championship playing for Derby at a similar age and he was a shadow of his former self and off the pace.

Having said the above it is only a few weeks since he was playing for and wining the league with Inter so based on that you would think still has plenty to offer.

I think this one will be a wait and see but the fact that he is unlikely to be coming in to start week in week out and will be used to provide cover means it is a low risk signing. 

16 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

He’s turning 36, has had Covid which has affected him and his performances for Inter & it could possibly continue to do so, he’s not good enough as a PL LB (not strong or defensively adept, can’t see him having the legs to bomb up and down the pitch and be able to defend against the wingers and WFs in this league - Serie A is sadly much inferior now) or winger, will command a significant wage (he’s not going to come for peanuts!) and signing on fee…

We don’t play with wing backs, Young has played as an attacking LWB for Inter.

He will not be a backup LB (or a very poor one if he is), if we play him it will be on the wing to cover for other players.

It makes no sense to me. I would hope we’ve moved beyond stop gap signings and are continuing with our exciting strategy & approach… building for the future and further success.

I don’t like this short term approach plus his age is very off putting… it suits someone like Burnley to target him, not us, not now…

We already have experience in the squad and we have Terry, just 4 years older, in the coaching team to provide the “winning mentality” and the inspiration for the players.

How much contribution would Young realistically make? Would be a waste imo.

He’s not the same player he was for us all those years ago, no point taking any of that into account.

Disappointed by the link in all honesty.

Not trying to change anyone’s mind and everyone is entitled to their view. Just making mine clear… 

For me you've nailed the case for not signing him. For me it is a waste of a squad position and wages. Is it a deal breaker, no, if it happens it happens.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

Come on. He won endless free kicks with us doing the same thing. 

And Jack does it multiple times every single week for us.

But as usual football fans find excuses when players do it for their club.

It's part of the game.

• Like 1

Some people will be happy with the signing others wont but just trust Smith and the process he obviously wants him for a reason,when/if he signs get behind him and trust Smith.

36 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Personally I don't see a point to this, he may be free but his wage demands will be pretty high I presume. I also presume he would want to play at his age and would not be happy to just sit on the bench. I would have thought if experience is what we needed then a better option would have been to keep Elmo, or Neil Taylor who have been part of the club setup very recently. It doesn't fit with what has been our transfer strategy. If it happens then OK, I trust Dean and the team but I'm not sure it will happen.

Lots of presuming there mate.

• Like 1

I don't think Young would join us just to sit on the bench waiting for Targett to get injured or suspended before getting any game time, this could be his last season as a professional footballer, so whilst I'm sure he accepts he won't play every game I imagine he will be expecting to play a decent amount of minutes, more so than Taylor and Elmohamady played last season for example.

Which is why I think he's being brought in as more than just cover for the fullback positions, in fact I'm not even sure if he's being signed with fullback in mind at all, and wouldn't be surprised to see us sign another fullback.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I just don't know about this one especially if he is going to cover the full back positions in a back 4. A wing back I could potentially see/be more comfortable with but not as a more defensive full back. I remember seeing Ashley Cole a couple of times against us in the championship playing for Derby at a similar age and he was a shadow of his former self and off the pace.

Having said the above it is only a few weeks since he was playing for and wining the league with Inter so based on that you would think still has plenty to offer.

I think this one will be a wait and see but the fact that he is unlikely to be coming in to start week in week out and will be used to provide cover means it is a low risk signing. 

I’m assuming he is covering the wings rather than the fullback positions… maybe to cover for Trez’s injury. Can’t see him being effective in defence.

Just don’t see the point in this but if Dean wants him then fine, hope he can prove me wrong…

Â