Ashley Young

maqroll

10 minutes ago, est1874 said:

He's fine as cover. But ideally you don't want your cover to ever have to play very much (case in point Elmo this season, he was a disaster really). This is another example of that for me.

Ashley is 2 years older than Ahmed. I don't particularly relish the idea of a 35-year-old coming on to cover Jack Grealish.... never mind our full-backs.

He played 26 times last season for the ItIan champions, while your point is valid he is an upgrade on Taylor and Elmo.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Ashley "no disrespect to Villa but when Man United called, I was off like a shot"  Young really isnt someone I have fond thoughts for. 

Decent player n his day but this does not get me nostalgic. He didn't leave well imho. If we want to go down this route of good senior players about the place then give Elmo another season, he is a known positive quantity. Ashley Young was a negative last time he was here. For me anyways, obviously if he comes I will support him. but a very unfortunate signing if true :(

I did watch him play a bit in last seasons Serie A. He was pretty good to be fair but Ashley Young up against the murderers row of world class wingers in the premier league scares the crap outta me.

He left much better than Downing did. Nothing wrong with they way he left, and he was absolutely justified. He won the league soon after, and we became relegation fodder and eventually relegated. He gave us many years of great service, even stayed and got his head down during 2010/11 when Milner and MON already left and other players were downing tools.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

He left much better than Downing did. Nothing wrong with they way he left, and he was absolutely justified. He won the league soon after, and we became relegation fodder and eventually relegated. He gave us many years of great service, even stayed and got his head down during 2010/11 when Milner and MON already left and other players were downing tools.

I will thank you never to mention that mans name again :)

But yeah fair point, Young just rubbed me the wrong way he didnt take a slash all over the club as he left.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

Makes absolutely no sense.

There’s pages of reasons here as to why it does. I’m not fond of the bloke either, but it fixes a number of short term issues  and is convenient for Aston Villa right now. That’s good enough. 

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

I think people got waaaaay too hung up on what Purslow said our strategy was re: recruitment the season we came up. Having a general rule doesn't mean we can't occasionally deviate from it when necessary. Signings like this are more realistic and make more sense alongside your Buendias or whoever else will come in rather than A) trying to somehow manage to fill every gap in the squad with coveted young players in one window or B ) cutting off your nose to spite your face and not taking advantage of short-term fixes like Young because they don't fit your own self-imposed "model", and leaving areas of the squad unbalanced in the process.

You could say our agenda has change as well though too, I'd say we are well ahead of the boards hopes and as in any business they are adapting fast. Great times.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

I think people got waaaaay too hung up on what Purslow said our strategy was re: recruitment the season we came up. Having a general rule doesn't mean we can't occasionally deviate from it when necessary. Signings like this are more realistic and make more sense alongside your Buendias or whoever else will come in rather than A) trying to somehow manage to fill every gap in the squad with coveted young players in one window or B ) cutting off your nose to spite your face and not taking advantage of short-term fixes like Young because they don't fit your own self-imposed "model", and leaving areas of the squad unbalanced in the process.

Exactly. 

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

It makes sense but given everything we’ve seen and heard from the club over the last two years I think its justified people being surprised. I’m shocked.

I think surprised may have been the wrong choice of word on my end, disappointed was what I was getting at. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Awol said:

There’s pages of reasons here as to why it does. I’m not fond of the bloke either, but it fixes a number of short term issues  and is convenient for Aston Villa right now. That’s good enough. 

Fundamentally I don’t think he’s good enough to play Premier League football anymore. Sorry. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Whilst that's all true, it doesn't mean signing Young is the right move.

Â