Ashley Young

maqroll

6 hours ago, Talldarkandransome said:

A few moments aside, I don't have massively fond memories of him

This sort of sentiment is staggering to me. I mean I’m not saying he’ll be a great signing now but was our best player for several years at the high point of the last couple of decades. Things like West Ham away, the 3-2 at Everton, the genuine level of play that saw Man United sign him… to me this is like saying “I don’t have fond memories of Dwight Yorke.”

2 hours ago, KMitch said:

I've disliked Young ever since because of that blatant dive against us for the winning penalty the first game against us for Man United

This is funny to me. If Jack eventually goes to Man City or wherever and plays against us he’ll be diving all over the place… we can’t moan about it after the times it’s been positive for us, and I think the same about that dive from Young…

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rich192 said:

Being a Villa/Inter fan (my missus is a massive Inter fan, and we've therefore adopted each others clubs - I definitely got the best deal), I've seen basically every game he's played since being over there. In his first season, when he joined in January, he was very good, and started basically the remainder of the season at left wing back. He got forward really well, and still looked very fit. He wasn't great defensively, but a Conte wing back doesn't necessarily have to be (he won the league with Chelsea with Victor Moses at right wing back, for example, and Hakimi at right wing back at Inter this season). 

This season, however, he got Covid in about October, and it really affected his performances, and he looked a shadow of the player he was prior to that. As a result, he didn't start anywhere near as many league games (just 16 in total), rotating with the likes of Perisic and Darmian. There's nothing to say that he won't get that fitness back, and if he does then I've no doubt he'll be a decent signing for a season, as he's very fit for his age - Covid withstanding.

As for the man himself, I was fuming with that dive, but I definitely softened on him whilst cheering him on for Inter, and as others have pointed out, if it meant we could pump £10-15m of our budget in to a more pressing position rather than a backup left back, then I'm all for it.

Thanks for this. Tbh your review is actually more positive than I could have hoped. The fact he was a starter for the champions - I had assumed he was more of the ‘Pires at Villa type’ (as you can see I’ve clearly done my research). 

By the sounds of it, if he can hit pre-Covid levels then he will more than suffice.

I despise him but hey if he can be a stop-gap on our push for European domination then fine.

Y’know. 

5 hours ago, KMitch said:

Percy has spoken, so looks like this is happening...  Ashley Young was a large part of the team which made me fall in love with Villa ~15 years ago, and even scored one of my favorite goals of all time in that epic 3-2 win against Everton in stoppage time.  I used to have a lot of respect for him as a player, but unlike Milner and Barry, the other great players who played for us and left for a bigger club in the same period, I've disliked Young ever since because of that blatant dive against us for the winning penalty the first game against us for Man United.  He's a mercenary and the only reason he's coming back to Villa Park is that we must be offering him more money than any other club at this point in his career.  I'm hoping it's just a short term 1-2 year deal and we replace him with a better fullback, ASAP...

To be fair… it was a foul. 

Actually did not realise so many’s fans do not like Young.

He was such a great player for us, and I’ve no idea where the judgements about his personality have come from, so for me it’s baffling how you could not have anything but fond memories. 

• Like 4

Looking back I don’t blame any of our stars during the post MON era for leaving. Lerner had clearly given up, they were top players and had every right to push on and do the best for their careers and their families rather than circle the plughole of relegation with us and waste away the best years of their career because of our lack of ambition. 

I love young. He gave us so many happy memories and I’d happily see him return. He’d be a huge asset for the younger players development and I think he has a good affinity with us - after all we made him. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rich192 said:

Being a Villa/Inter fan (my missus is a massive Inter fan, and we've therefore adopted each others clubs - I definitely got the best deal), I've seen basically every game he's played since being over there. In his first season, when he joined in January, he was very good, and started basically the remainder of the season at left wing back. He got forward really well, and still looked very fit. He wasn't great defensively, but a Conte wing back doesn't necessarily have to be (he won the league with Chelsea with Victor Moses at right wing back, for example, and Hakimi at right wing back at Inter this season). 

This season, however, he got Covid in about October, and it really affected his performances, and he looked a shadow of the player he was prior to that. As a result, he didn't start anywhere near as many league games (just 16 in total), rotating with the likes of Perisic and Darmian. There's nothing to say that he won't get that fitness back, and if he does then I've no doubt he'll be a decent signing for a season, as he's very fit for his age - Covid withstanding.

As for the man himself, I was fuming with that dive, but I definitely softened on him whilst cheering him on for Inter, and as others have pointed out, if it meant we could pump £10-15m of our budget in to a more pressing position rather than a backup left back, then I'm all for it.

Friend of mine is an inter fan and said he was ordinary last season. Perisic was that good, Young felt like quite a downgrade.

Big reservations about him as a full back in a back 4.

21 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Friend of mine is an inter fan and said he was ordinary last season. Perisic was that good, Young felt like quite a downgrade.

Big reservations about him as a full back in a back 4.

He’s not a full back, I still have great memories of him in a Villa shirt as a winger

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

the guy who ran off at the first opportunity while Young gave us an extra season. I dont see how Young personality changed at all, he was the same player just playing for United

I wouldn't say Milner 'ran off'.

We were becoming a shit show under Learner, he stopped the investments and also the lad wanted to win things, which was evident that wasn't going to happen at Villa. Can't really blame him.

Young and Downing did the same eventually because Learner was trying to recoup some of his cash.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommo_b said:

Actually did not realise so many’s fans do not like Young.

He was such a great player for us, and I’ve no idea where the judgements about his personality have come from, so for me it’s baffling how you could not have anything but fond memories. 

I've nothing but fond memories of him. The "dive" is exactly what Jack would do in the same situation when a defender throws a leg out, misses the ball and makes contact in the box. I find it bizarre people want to forget things like the Everton goal for us and focus on that. 

I think he'd be a good signing on a free, his experience and professionalism would be important with such a young squad and I'm sure he's better than Taylor and Elmo in terms of performance levels

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Jack does these all the time. It's why other fans hate him. The last one there is probably a yellow card on Clint Hill I think that is too, and the GK one is definitely a foul too.

The only one you could call a dive was the one against us, and even with that, the theatrical dive was so unnecessary. For one, he played for Manchester United. He already got the contact, going down would have been enough :lol: . Don't think he needed to sell a Manchester United penalty to a ref that hard. 

They're all dives as far as I can see. I'd say none of them are penalties. Jack's not as bad as this, although he may have had one or two questionable moments this season.

13 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I wouldn't say Milner 'ran off'.

We were becoming a shit show under Learner, he stopped the investments and also the lad wanted to win things, which was evident that wasn't going to happen at Villa. Can't really blame him.

Young and Downing did the same eventually because Learner was trying to recoup some of his cash.

James Milner played his last game for us when he’d already agreed to join Man City. It would have been understandable if he’d looked after himself and coasted through the game. Instead he was man of the match. A true pro. He also used to take his dog to the same kennels as I took mine, which is the only thing we have in common!

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

James Milner played his last game for us when he’d already agreed to join Man City. It would have been understandable if he’d looked after himself and coasted through the game. Instead he was man of the match. A true pro.

You're right Dave.

We also gave him a great standing ovation at his last home game. He gave everything for us regards performances and effort and I cannot say a bad word about him.

As you say, A true professional.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, KMitch said:

Percy has spoken, so looks like this is happening...  Ashley Young was a large part of the team which made me fall in love with Villa ~15 years ago, and even scored one of my favorite goals of all time in that epic 3-2 win against Everton in stoppage time.  I used to have a lot of respect for him as a player, but unlike Milner and Barry, the other great players who played for us and left for a bigger club in the same period, I've disliked Young ever since because of that blatant dive against us for the winning penalty the first game against us for Man United.  He's a mercenary and the only reason he's coming back to Villa Park is that we must be offering him more money than any other club at this point in his career.  I'm hoping it's just a short term 1-2 year deal and we replace him with a better fullback, ASAP...

Come on. He won endless free kicks with us doing the same thing. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Maybe, but his personality clearly changed for the worse when he moved on, the diving is just another part of it… never liked the guy after he left us. The likes of Milner & even Barry displayed more class & integrity…

Anyway, it’s not the main reason I dislike the idea of signing him… 

Barry did a double page interview in the papers demanding he wanted to leave for Liverpool, when we turned down a bid. 

When did Young do anything like that?

• Like 1

Young was one of my favourite players when he played for us but he turns 36 next month. He'll clearly only be coming in as cover for both FB positions.

Not what I would have done personally, our approach tends to be to go for younger players with the potential to be very good which I believe is the best approach. I think Robinson at Fulham or Wijndal at AZ are younger options with the potential to make the LB position their own and wouldn't cost a great deal and both likely to move on this summer.

I guess if we look at it from a leadership point of view then Young will bring some experience. He's obviously played at 2 major tournaments for England, won a PL title, and won Serie A last season, and it seems he's still got good fitness (he started quite a few games for Inter last season). 

My concern isn't about what happened when he left, we quite clearly were a sinking ship and Lerner the tw@t decided to make the brainless decision to appoint McLeish as manager that summer. I'm more concerned about bringing in a player on probably quite big wages that doesn't have much longer left in the game, especially in an area where he could get exposed at PL level. But if that's the decision made then we'll see if it's the right one.

Â