Alan Hutton

Rich_D

58 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

The argument of Bacuna getting himself out of position is based on Bacuna being too far forward at times. Personally I'd prefer this over Hutton's positioning, which really annoys me at times.

Let me get my MNF on.

DwrEiQx.jpg

Above you can see Hutton's positioning for the goal yesterday. When the back four shifts over towards the side of play it is expected that the fullback will tuck in slightly towards his CB, however here Hutton begins chasing back from the other side of the pitch because he has been following Okore. Look at the space that is gifted to Cresswell, who is a fullback himself. With no wide midfielders being played, it is simply suicide for Hutton to be dragged so far away from his position. We're actually outnumbering West Ham's players by 7 to 5, and the only West Ham play in any space is Cresswell.

lckNGjP.jpg

By the time Hutton has got himself back over to his side of the pitch it is too late, Cresswell is winding up a shot and Hutton is off balance, in no position to properly block a short or pass. Cresswell hasn't had to go past his man, he hasn't had to divert his run, he has literally ran straight forward and got a shot off. Should Hutton have been on his side of the pitch in the first place, he'd have been able to force Cresswell out wide, and we'd have been outnumbering their players in the box, decreasing the danger of a goal being scored.

My problem here is that Hutton does this a lot, he stays very tight to his CB and never seems to stick to his position out wide in these situations, which gifts the fullback/winger a ridiculous amount of space when we aren't playing wide midfielders ourselves. Combined with the fact that his crosses are pretty impotent, I'd much rather have Bacuna playing at RB until we bring a fresh face in.

I don't think he has made an individual error there at all. Okore needs to start further to the right, but without the ability to rewind the action further it's hard to know why they ended up in that starting position. If Hutton starts further over, the gap is though the middle, much more of a dangerous prospect than the one that presented itself. I think Hutton makes the right call and reacts well to the danger, in the end it takes a top drawer finish to beat Guzan. 

Should Gil not be covering Cresswell anyway? Where the hell is he in those pics? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Gil is the guy behind the referee in the 2nd photo

In which case perhaps somebody else should have been watching the run of Cresswell. That said those gaps appear all the time in the premier league, sometimes it can't be helped. Not every goal has blame attached to it. 

Either way I think Hutton did the right thing myself. 

• Like 1

I guess Hutton takes the blame if formations remained as they do on paper. 

On paper he should be there but that doesn't take into account the role he is being expected to fulfil. If he is being asked to overlap and get forward then one of our central midfielders should be aware of this and be ready to drop in.

In theory that is how it should work but reality is far different.

His positioning is only part of the problem. He simply did not engage Cresswell at all, backing off and giving him space.

The majority of Wham's attacking play, including their goal, came down Hutton's side. In our last home game, so did Aresnal's. There is a reason for that.

• Like 4

His positioning is only part of the problem. He simply did not engage Cresswell at all, backing off and giving him space.

The majority of Wham's attacking play, including their goal, came down Hutton's side. In our last home game, so did Aresnal's. There is a reason for that.

It happened so quickly and Cresswell is rapid, I'm not sure he had the time nor the athleticism to engage him.

Westwood did a much better job of protecting Hutton. Gil does his own thing, which is why he's not starting games. Sanchez going off rocked us yesterday, we were well on top up until that point. We recovered well in the second half.

As i said in the game thread. We ask far to much of Hutton. He grafts, but what he can't do is act as creative winger, then track back and be a defensive midfielder too, he does not have the quality for this, though he has been asked by every manager to play this way. I have never seen Hutton have 100% in his game, though I don't blame him personally because you cant fault his work rate, he always looks like one of the hardest workers out there.

The bottom line is people who are expecting him to get dropped are going to be disappointed. He's reported to be a leader in the dressing room, he clearly leaves everything out on the pitch, and he's an experienced pro in PL terms. Is he in the bottom half of right backs in the league? Of course. But I doubt his position has been identified as a priority right now. I could see us signing somebody like Byram who maybe wouldn't expect to start immediately, but we won't be looking to 'replace' Hutton in this transfer window (or the next, unless he wants to leave). 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It happened so quickly and Cresswell is rapid, I'm not sure he had the time nor the athleticism to engage him.

Westwood did a much better job of protecting Hutton. Gil does his own thing, which is why he's not starting games. Sanchez going off rocked us yesterday, we were well on top up until that point. We recovered well in the second half.

When Sanchez went off Veretout dropped into midfield (he started in the number 10 role), whilst Gil slotted in behind the strikers. 

I agree that perhaps one of the midfield trio should be helping, but there is no way that Hutton should ever be on the left side of the pitch when our other 3 defenders are already there.

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

How many goals has this player cost us lately. 

It's not just lately, he's been costing us goals since he joined.Terrible defender. It'll be interesting to see if he's even good enough for the Championship.

17 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Hutton is so often the only person on the Villa team who seems to care if we win or lose; and is the only one who tries to drive forward to get attacking play going.

He has some obvious glaring technical flaws in his play but just at the moment he writes himself as the first name on the team sheet because of his spirit.

He has no end product, opposition teams can let him have the ball in space, he either checks back or plays a safe pass.

Just now, villa89 said:

It's not just lately, he's been costing us goals since he joined.Terrible defender. It'll be interesting to see if he's even good enough for the Championship.

He's not.

Lowton, Bacuna can't defend either but at least they can pass the ball and cross it. This guy can't do that and he's not even a better defender than them. He shouldn't even get in the squad. It's shocking that we don't have any other option that we have to play him and Richardson.

2 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

He's not.

Lowton, Bacuna can't defend either but at least they can pass the ball and cross it. This guy can't do that and he's not even a better defender than them. He shouldn't even get in the squad. It's shocking that we don't have any other option that we have to play him and Richardson.

We do, we have Richards who is a worse CB back Okore and a better RB than Hutton. And yet....

Â