Alan Hutton

Rich_D

A great listen/watch. Some interesting observations of all of the (many) managers he had at Villa. Lambert, Di Matteo, and Garde didn't sound like good man managers. He did sound genuinely choked when we let him go, but I don't think he could have done a job in the prem with us by 2019.

14 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

A great listen/watch. Some interesting observations of all of the (many) managers he had at Villa. Lambert, Di Matteo, and Garde didn't sound like good man managers. He did sound genuinely choked when we let him go, but I don't think he could have done a job in the prem with us by 2019.

we were playing konsa at RB at one stage. elmo got injured towards end of the season. i think its a valid debate as to who's better between hutton and guilbert

On 14/04/2023 at 11:47, The Fun Factory said:

Sherwood sounded like a proper moron too.  No wonder we heard rumors of a serious dressing room rift coming out that season.  Had clear favorites and shared confidential information with the teacher's pets, alienating other senior pros in the squad.  He'd call Gabby/Richards/Lescott into his office and tell them about signings they're working on getting over the line, then wondered why lineups were getting leaked before the game.  Sherwood sweeping his office for bugs when Gabby was off blabbing his mouth to half of Bodymoor Heath is peak stupidity.  Can't make this stuff up.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/04/2023 at 12:58, tomav84 said:

surprised no one has mentioned this today. The guys at claret and blue podcast have really stepp up their game in the last year or so. This is a great watch. Sounded like he wanted to talk for even longer 

Really enjoyed this, thanks for posting it!

21 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Just listening to it. Seems a top bloke. 

This interview just reaffirms in my mind what a useless twunk Lambert was.

I think by the end Lambert tied himself in knots. Like Hutton said we became a possession-based side with no attacking intent. He went along with the cost-cutting to keep his job until we had to sack him, probably about a year too late. He brought in Lowton to replace Hutton and then 2 years later sold him on to bring Hutton back into the team.

10 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think by the end Lambert tied himself in knots. Like Hutton said we became a possession-based side with no attacking intent. He went along with the cost-cutting to keep his job until we had to sack him, probably about a year too late. He brought in Lowton to replace Hutton and then 2 years later sold him on to bring Hutton back into the team.

Sherwood sold Lowton

Lambert was an idiot when you look back

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

I’m still not convinced the cost cutting was fully in place at the start under lambert (Hutton himself implied it wasn’t all on the owners). Lambert was thought was utterly clueless. Hutton mentioned how we didn’t have a shot, god I remember those games. It was diabolical. Lambert made me lose interest in football, and for that will always go down as our worst manager for me.

39 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’m still not convinced the cost cutting was fully in place at the start under lambert (Hutton himself implied it wasn’t all on the owners). Lambert was thought was utterly clueless. Hutton mentioned how we didn’t have a shot, god I remember those games. It was diabolical. Lambert made me lose interest in football, and for that will always go down as our worst manager for me.

At the risk of going off topic all of the buys in summer 2012 were outside of the premier league. The bomb squad included high wage earners like Bent and Given. Hutton was on less but probably still a decent wack.

47 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

At the risk of going off topic all of the buys in summer 2012 were outside of the premier league. The bomb squad included high wage earners like Bent and Given. Hutton was on less but probably still a decent wack.

But they both played under Lambert before been bomb squaded. Hutton was immediately removed yet Bent and Given started his first few games. Bent was even made captain

Hutton didn't have an attitude problem  so was really no excuse for it

• Like 1

What a great interview, and what a sound fella Hutton sounds like. I completely forgot about his Mallorca loan, haha, such a random move that was. Does credit steve bruce quite a bit, just as a trigger warning for some 😛

Really enjoying listening to this. Great to hear some insight into this time at Villa. He is like Forrest Gump being in the background of all these major Villa events.

Fully agree that Hutton should have been kept on for that first season back up. Way too much turnover. Himself and Jedinak would have been great to have. Only reason Villa didn't go down that season was because of Covid.

Edited by YLN
  • Like 1

Â