Alan Hutton

Rich_D

Teams give him loads of space because they know he's useless with the ball and we fall for it all the time and keep giving him the ball. From an attacking point of view it's like playing with ten men when he's in the side.

• Like 1

i dont think we purposely set out to mostly attack down his side - we look to go down the left as well. The difference is with bacuna on the left he looks to cut back inside quite often, and we end up bringing the ball back round and trying to work a different opening.

Hutton gets the ball and just runs blindly down the wing, before floating a cross straight to the keeper. Can't fault the effort, but he doesn't think the game well enough - you see this defensively far too often. The goal today was again down to his poor positioning and then standing off basically inviting the shot

1 hour ago, StanBalaban said:

I think once Cissoko is back at LB, Bacuna needs to take Hutton's place at RB as he's far more capable of creating assists without losing out too much in defence.

I hope not. Hutton's a much better full back than Bacuna in my opinion. For me, his name would be amongst the first three or four on the teamsheet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I hope not. Hutton's a much better full back than Bacuna in my opinion. For me, his name would be amongst the first three or four on the teamsheet.

I'm not sure, with Bacuna I get the feeling that he is improving, something that won't happen with Hutton. One should also note that Hutton often finds himself in acres of space and wastes the cross 9/10. No other full back of ours ever finds that kind of space, so either Hutton is a genius at finding it, or other teams allow him more space because of how poor his crossing is. And defensively he's not really performing, is he?

Bacuna has a great cross on him, i just checked and he got 5 assists in just 10 starts in the league last season. Sure, Beneteke was on fire, but he was getting excellent service.

With a man like Gestede up top we really need good crosses in the box and he currently is the best player who can provide them.

Bacuna has assists on him.. when hes on the right.. Hutton just wastes possession. Defensively not that much better than Bacuna anyway.. always getting caught out... giving pens or own goals. We need a new RB.

• Like 2

Problem with Bacuna at right back is he gets a little too comfortable and sometimes goes out of position or loses his mind. At left back I feel he is trying to concentrate more as a result he is doing better in that position

• Like 2

I think Bacuna would benefit from a run of games at right back. I prefer Bacuna anyway, but the argument used to be that Hutton is an experienced and better defender - unfortunately his defending seems to have gone to pot, he has cost us a lot of goals lately.

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Whilst I agree that Hutton may be slightly more solid than Bacuna at RB, he just doesn't have it when it comes to being a creative force. We may concede more in certain matches with Bacuna there, but we'll almost certainly create more chances too. Plus I believe he's notched a few himself from that role in the past.

Draws are nice and all, but simply paper over the crack of our plight. We need to win. We might as well lose trying to go for the win than pick up draws now. In fact, I'd be tempted to put Clark in at LB against Norwich just so Bacuna can replace Hutton at RB.

Easy for me to tinker away from my armchair, but we need to be bold from here on in.

Good summary, Sam.

I'd add that despite his poor positioning and his need to track back to cover, he never offered any resistance. Looking at your last screen grab, he could have covered closer to Cresswell to force him to beat him. Cresswell may have done so, but would either have been forced wide or back in towards our central defence, where he would have been outnumbered and unlikely to beat another (it is Cresswell after all).

Instead, Hutton backed right off, gave him over 6 feet of space and time aplenty to shoot. That's shockingly poor defending.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

but Huttin wouldnt have to be in that position if Sanchez didnt come off injured, he would have slotted into gap between midfield and defence and allowed Hutton stay in his position

I'd agree with you that Sanchez may have been some help, however Hutton has done this same thing time and time again. He pretty much always stays tight to his CB, regardless of the situation, rather than standing up to his man out wide. I guess it is just how he plays, however I think when we aren't playing anybody ahead of him out wide that can cover or trackback, it provides a huge problem.

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Fook me, remind me all those games Bacuna has cost us at RB again over the last 2 years? He had a dodgy end of last season which cost him his cup final place but he still set up a lot of Benteke's goals. It's not like one's the new Cafu and the other is UDLC, the difference is minimal if anything.

Bacuna is a better crosser of the ball than Hutton, and as Hutton, statistically, gets more crosses in than any other Villa player, then i would play Bacuna there.

Have to say though watching the extended highlights, sometimes Westwood and Gana pass the buck by giving the ball to Hutton, they should take more responsibility themselves.

Â