General Chat

Stevo985

It's a weird time when your baby is born via C-section. Your missus is in the hospital and you have to go home. The house feels weird and there's an odd silence. 

Ol' Hitz here went to the pub. Had a proper wetting of the baby's head. Didn't pay for a single drink. It's probably the last time you can get really drunk.

Then you wake up with a horrendous hangover in an empty house, cook a breakfast like Rik Waller would and then head off into a new world.

Edited by AVFC_Hitz
Jari Litmanen
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Then you wake up with a horrendous hangover in an empty house, cook a breakfast like Rik Waller would and then head off into a new world.

That's a great reference, wonder what he's up to now.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tayls said:

Nice one @NurembergVillan - congratulations. 

Have you been told about the group that is available in case you want to have a chat about the birth or pregnancy in general? Forgot what it is called but it’s something I might need to do. 

My wife and I had a little girl last Saturday, (Paddy’s day) and it was a tough labour. Nothing went to plan and we ended up having to be blue lighted to Oxford as the hospital where I am based is midwife led... The baby came out quick quickly in the end, but she wasn’t breathing. The midwife made the decision to hit an alarm and a team of 8/9 people came running in to try and get the baby to breath on her own. They succeeded.  To add to that, my wife then had to go into theatre to have the placenta removed because it became stuck. I was an emotional wreck, and once my wife finally made it onto the ward, I was told I couldn’t stay and had to leave. Was the hardest thing I have ever done. 

Its left me quite emotional still, and I am finding that when I am on my own, I start to cry. The thought of seeing my child born and there was nothing from her, the amount of blood surrounding my wife and her in a state because she couldn’t see what was happening, the alarm and the people rushing in... can’t seem to shake it. 

When we were having our second we looked at Samuel Johnson hospital in Lichfield, lovely place, more like a hotel but it was only a midwife led unit. We opted for Good Hope for the support of doctors/surgeons if needed. The little one did get into difficulties during the rapid birth and we had a room full of doctors when she came out who got her breathing quickly. I hate to think of what would have happened if we hadn't gone to GH.

I'd always advise people to look beyond the decor and comfort and go for the safest option.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Genie said:

When we were having our second we looked at Samuel Johnson hospital in Lichfield, lovely place, more like a hotel but it was only a midwife led unit. We opted for Good Hope for the support of doctors/surgeons if needed. The little one did get into difficulties during the rapid birth and we had a room full of doctors when she came out who got her breathing quickly. I hate to think of what would have happened if we hadn't gone to GH.

I'd always advise people to look beyond the decor and comfort and go for the safest option.

My Mrs was always likely having a C-section and definitely giving birth in a hospital because of the complications she had with her first, but I went with her to our local midwife ran place for some birthing course. I was shocked at the percentage of births that they said ended up going to hospital. Can’t remember the figure but think it was something like 4/10, and that was just the labours not because of any complications afterwards. They said it like it wasn’t many, but seemed very high to what I would expect.

• Like 1

There's a post being shared on Facebook announcing the death of a guy I've sat by down the villa for years. Always carried a huge smile. Shocked doesn't cover it, he'll be genuinely missed by everyone around us. 

His son in law is trying to arrange a minutes applause in the 58th minute against Cardiff, really hope this can spread around, certain it will mean a lot to the family. 

6 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

My Mrs was always likely having a C-section and definitely giving birth in a hospital because of the complications she had with her first, but I went with her to our local midwife ran place for some birthing course. I was shocked at the percentage of births that they said ended up going to hospital. Can’t remember the figure but think it was something like 4/10, and that was just the labours not because of any complications afterwards. They said it like it wasn’t many, but seemed very high to what I would expect.

Whilst at the antinatal class that we attended, the figure for transfers to Oxford from the midwife led unit that we wanted to go to was 45%. Which, obviously, is really high. The reason we had to go was because the baby’s heart rate had increased quite a lot, so blue lighting to Oxford was necessary under those circumstances. 

Edited by Tayls

Not quite sure how I managed to miss NV’s news the past few days, it’s taught me to always go back a page when opening a thread.

Still, all done now Rob, you can get on with designing those villa kits for me now bud :thumb:

:trollface: Many congrats bud. You and yours rest up and enjoy the occasion. All the best.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Not quite sure how I managed to miss NV’s news the past few days, it’s taught me to always go back a page when opening a thread.

Or you could click on the thread title and go straight to the first post you haven't read in that thread :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I always use insults like ‘berk’, ‘boob’ & ‘wally’. Unoffensive and silly. I learnt yesterday that berk is Cockney rhyming slang, from Berkeley Hunt. Therefore I’ve been calling my nan and other family members a C-bomb.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I know things change and sometimes its for the best but I was a little sad to hear the big WH Smiths in Brum shut down a few weeks ago. They've only moved a few doors down in a smaller unit but the old one was a favourite of mine for years! When I started working on Colmore Row in 1997, I spent most lunchtimes in there leafing through magazines and upstairs at the books. I must admit I hadn't been in it for years, like a lot of people no doubt, hence the closure. 

It was a funny store layout that also had an entrance on High Street around the corner. The upstairs was vast. Many good memories of the place. Another iconic Birmingham store bites the dust

Union-Street-Union-Passage-entrance-to-t

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, Xela said:

I know things change and sometimes its for the best but I was a little sad to hear the big WH Smiths in Brum shut down a few weeks. They've only moved a few doors down in a smaller unit but the old one was a favourite of mine for years! When I started working on Colmore Row in 1997, I spent most lunchtimes in there leafing through magazines and upstairs at the books. I must admit I hadn't been in it for years, like a lot of people no doubt, hence the closure. 

It was a funny store layout that also had an entrance on High Street around the corner. The upstairs was vast. Many good memories of the place. Another iconic Birmingham bites the dust

Union-Street-Union-Passage-entrance-to-t

What they have done astonishes me. 

Their Union Street store is probably now their second biggest store in Birmingham behind New Street Station.  What an utterly pointless shop it is now, I will probably hardly ever go in there again as the in store selection is so narrow. 

How can they possibly think their main store in the UK's second largest city should be less than half the size of their store in Solihull? 

I heard that they made nearly all their profits from their overpriced Airport and Railway stores and this seems to evidence that. They might as well just withdraw from the High Street altogether. 

• Like 1

Â