General Chat

Stevo985

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I just heard some awful news i dont know if anyone heard about the stabbing and shooting of a 23 year old in enfield north London early Saturday morning but just heard he was the son of one the medical secretaries I know.

Awful. I don't know what you can say or do to someone in that instance. I never knew her son but when she does come back to work do you send your condolences or just try act normal around her to take her mind off it as she has probably been flooded with so many messages. 

It’s a minefield. A colleague of mines sister took her own life a little back, the day after she’d been up to Scotland to visit her. I think offer condolences and go from there. If she wants to talk about it then she will, if not then move on.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

It’s a minefield. A colleague of mines sister took her own life a little back, the day after she’d been up to Scotland to visit her. I think offer condolences and go from there. If she wants to talk about it then she will, if not then move on.

Yeah its one of those situations where there is no right or wrong way to react. Think that's only thing you can do what you have suggested.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah its one of those situations where there is no right or wrong way to react. Think that's only thing you can do what you have suggested.

It's tough. Some people would be offended if you didn't say anything, some people would feel awkward if you did.

I'm the latter. When my dad passed away I didn't want any fuss from colleagues. Didn't really want to talk about it so felt awkward when people offered condolences. 

A couple of the women in the office just said something like "It's good to have you back" accompanied with a sympathetic smile, that sort of said "I know, you know, we don't need to mention it". I liked that reaction the best.

So that would be my suggestion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

We're still sat waiting to be called to theatre for the C-section.

Strange sensation really. Relaxing as it's better than being in a room with my wife as she has major surgery, but can't relax because I know it's impending.

I’ve only got 1 child who was born by a planned C-section, It was definitely quite a weird experience and a bit surreal especially going into theatre.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I just heard some awful news i dont know if anyone heard about the stabbing and shooting of a 23 year old in enfield north London early Saturday morning but just heard he was the son of one the medical secretaries I know.

I despair about our inner cities. Even up here in Brum, there is daily reports of shootings and stabbings. 

6 minutes ago, Xela said:

I despair about our inner cities. Even up here in Brum, there is daily reports of shootings and stabbings. 

London and my local area as a whole is getting very very bad. It’s no surprise with them closing all our police stations and cuts to the police. 

Its a joke.

Nice one @NurembergVillan - congratulations. 

Have you been told about the group that is available in case you want to have a chat about the birth or pregnancy in general? Forgot what it is called but it’s something I might need to do. 

My wife and I had a little girl last Saturday, (Paddy’s day) and it was a tough labour. Nothing went to plan and we ended up having to be blue lighted to Oxford as the hospital where I am based is midwife led... The baby came out quick quickly in the end, but she wasn’t breathing. The midwife made the decision to hit an alarm and a team of 8/9 people came running in to try and get the baby to breath on her own. They succeeded.  To add to that, my wife then had to go into theatre to have the placenta removed because it became stuck. I was an emotional wreck, and once my wife finally made it onto the ward, I was told I couldn’t stay and had to leave. Was the hardest thing I have ever done. 

Its left me quite emotional still, and I am finding that when I am on my own, I start to cry. The thought of seeing my child born and there was nothing from her, the amount of blood surrounding my wife and her in a state because she couldn’t see what was happening, the alarm and the people rushing in... can’t seem to shake it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

@Tayls Mate I absolutely feel for you. I've just got into bed now, but tomorrow I'll send you a DM.

It's harder than people say, being the man during a birth. We're conditioned to be the protector, but in that scenario we're helpless. It's **** hard, man.

PS congrats yourself! Hope Mom and baby are doing ok now.

@Tayls Thats sounds terrifying mate. I am so sorry that you went through that but glad that everything is fine now. Don't feel that you have to "shake it" either. It's normal for you to be traumatized after something like that. You should cry or do whatever it is you need to do to heal yourself.

You should definitely talk with people  in your support network and look after yourself. Your wife and baby are going to need you healthy and strong in the coming months.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

She did it!  Not long got home now, and having a beer.  Wife and the little boy will be in hospital for a couple of days.

The c-section went exactly the way it's supposed to.  Except the bit right at the end, while they were sewing her up, that I got a bit green and had to step outside for a couple of minutes.  Felt like I was going to hit the deck!  I hadn't even been watching!

It was very nervy for both of us.  A long wait as we didn't start till 4pm in the end.  When they brought him out and we heard him start crying I burst into tears.  We've both been so scared about the actual delivery that we're now really excited about having a baby in the house.  It's a huge relief.

Little girl was dead excited to meet her baby brother too.  She made him a card at nursery, and I brought her in to see him tonight.  He doesn't have a name just yet.  We're going to get to know him first.

Thanks so, so much for your support, guys.  It's funny, really, that my last child was born in Canada so we had a support network there, and this one was born in England so we have a support network here too.  Apart from me and the wife, though, some of you guys are the only ones that were "there" for both.

This community blows my mind sometimes.

Congratulations mate very happy for you. Demitri is a great name :mrgreen:

• Thanks 1

Â