General Chat

Stevo985

20 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

One of the issues around the Netflix programme ‘Baby Reindeer’ appears to be that at the start they state it is a true story. Yet, when I watch ‘Fargo’ that will always start by stating it’s a true story, which it clearly isn’t.

Personally, I would never presume something on Netflix was ‘true’. Equally, I wouldn’t be happy if something was about me, but contained lies. They didn’t name the alleged stalker in BR, but a woman has come forward and said it was her and disputed facts. In that she hadn’t been named it feels like this gets quite murky.

I’m not sure how they navigate through something like this.

It's very obviously her (she's made it obvious) and she's clearly a compulsive liar, so I doubt anything she says could ever be relied upon in court or interview or whatever.

It's very murky, because like you say she hasn't been named but she's also getting shit for it online.

But I don't think any legal action she takes would get very far because I doubt they'd be able to get anything resembling a straight story out of her. 

My biggest issue with the whole thing to be honest is if that show was about a female comedian getting a male stalker, and he'd been identified online, we (society) wouldn't be making him into a **** celebrity and putting him on Piers Morgan and Big Brother and whatever else "Martha" will probably go on to do.

That's not a "oh poor men are treated badly" point, I just mean we shouldn't be turning essentially a mentally ill criminal (allegedly) into a celebrity

• Like 2

1 hour ago, choffer said:

I only made it through the first 20 minutes. I couldn't bear the awkwardness of it.

Apparently (source - random tweets) she was interviewed by Piers Morgan this week and she contradicted herself throughout the interview. One minute she never sent him even one letter, the next it's a few letters. All very sad. 

As above, she is clearly mentally ill, and a compulsive liar. She would be an unreliable witness at best.

Even if she had a legal case that the show had caused her to be identified, I imagine she'd have to prove that things they said about her weren't true. And I doubt they'd be able to get a straight enough story out of her to do that

(and, to be honest, the more I hear from her the more I think it's more than likely true anyway)

Never seen the show, don't know what this is all about and have no intention of finding out. 

From what I have gleaned it all sounds shit anyway. 

Just now, sidcow said:

Never seen the show, don't know what this is all about and have no intention of finding out. 

From what I can make out, Netflix made a show about a stalker but didn’t reveal the identity of the stalker. The real person came forward to out herself as the stalker but also denied she was a stalker whilst admitting to doing a bit of stalking.

Just now, Genie said:

From what I can make out, Netflix made a show about a stalker but didn’t reveal the identity of the stalker. The real person came forward to out herself as the stalker but also denied she was a stalker whilst admitting to doing a bit of stalking.

Sounds interesting. Someone should make a show about it. 

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's a brilliant show.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

It's a brilliant show.

Echo this. Wouldn’t say I enjoyed watching it but it’s very well done, just a very dark subject matter.

• Like 1

I’m not saying Mrs P and I are bad at staying on top of household chores, but I have just found the kid’s Christmas jumpers at the bottom of the laundry bin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I’m not saying Mrs P and I are bad at staying on top of household chores, but I have just found the kid’s Christmas jumpers at the bottom of the laundry bin.

I’ll say it 🤣

• Like 1

On 15/05/2024 at 22:56, bickster said:

We've been out tonight to an event called Pint of Science

Never heard of it before but apparently is been going for quite a few years now. Sadly if you’re interested, you'll have to wait until next year as it’s mostly over now but I’d thoroughly recommend having a look at it and seeing if anything interests you. General format is you get three talks of about 20 mins each, and a quiz which you do on your phone. We had a couple of physics ones and one on the future of AI in the legal profession and that one was really interesting (the other two were too) and was probably the main selling point for us to go to this one. Not bad for a fiver. There seemed to be lots of them in Birmingham (still up on the website so you can see what you missed) and there were plenty all over the country and indeed all over the world (26 countries I total I think)

You should look out for them next May, quite a good stimulating cheap night out.

I've been to some of these, a few years back now. I think they are a bit variable in quality and interest (depending on your tastes). But it's a definitely a good thing that they exist and are still going. Kind of like a budget TedX kind of thing.

• Like 1

Not sure which is most amusing, the small heath thread or the Gresford thread :crylaugh:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Not sure which is most amusing, the small heath thread or the Gresford thread :crylaugh:

SHA thread has new content every now and again, the Grealish thread has just been the same posts/arguments again and again and again for year's. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

SHA thread has new content every now and again, the Grealish thread has just been the same posts/arguments again and again and again for year's. 

Oh I agree but it's still very amusing

22 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Oh I agree but it's still very amusing

I don’t even have to open the thread for it to amuse me these days :crylaugh: 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

I don’t even have to open the thread for it to amuse me these days :crylaugh: 

Don't worry, you're in my little book of horrific revenge ;)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, rjw63 said:

The grealiah thread just because its named after you 😂

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

Posted (edited)

Oh **** oh **** oh ****! Got stung by a hornet a few hours ago, and jesus almighty, it hurts. Please feel sorry for me! 😧 It's been a few years, and I guess I didn't remember how ****ing much they suck.

The one benefit is you get a clear baseline understanding of what "sting" means.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

8 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

The one benefit is you get a clear baseline understanding of what "sting" means.

Thanks for the reminder. For the last few years it's just meant exceptionally dull music to me 👍

• Haha 2

Â