General Chat

Stevo985

45 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

There was a team on University Challenge last night (some Cambridge college). Average age 19. 

They got a round on 'classic rock guitar solos' - totally failed to recognise the solo from 'Stairway to Heaven '. Had a guess at it - Oasis. 

It came out in 1971, so thats nearly 30 years before they were born, and maybe 40 or more before they would have started following music etc. It's not that surprising, really looked at like that. It doesn't get much airplay, if any, on the type of radio that da yoot listen to. 

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

It came out in 1971, so thats nearly 30 years before they were born, and maybe 40 or more before they would have started following music etc. It's not that surprising, really looked at like that. It doesn't get much airplay, if any, on the type of radio that da yoot listen to. 

Yeah, I know. Our weekend house guests have neices and newphews in an up-and-coming English folk band. Apparently they'd never heard of Sandy Denny. 

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

There was a team on University Challenge last night (some Cambridge college). Average age 19. 

They got a round on 'classic rock guitar solos' - totally failed to recognise the solo from 'Stairway to Heaven '. Had a guess at it - Oasis. 

I guessed it as Pink Floyd.  Beyond the greatest hits I've never really delved into Led Zep's (or Pink Floyd's) back catalogue so I probably should have known the answer but didn't recognise it.  It did sound a bit like something Noel Gallagher could have ripped off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I think we've touched on this before (quizzes rather than UC)  ... I'm fairly sure I'd blitz most of the people on UC on a general knowledge quiz just because I'm older and had a chance to acquire a vast knowledge of complete and utter useless stuff that they won't have had the opportunity to acquire .... they would of course be able to thrash me on a round of quoting the Knights that go Ni   ,Marxist revolutionary's and The Ramones  ..but all in all I'd be able to see them off with stairway to heaven type knowledge

Edited by tonyh29

15 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It did sound a bit like something Noel Gallagher could have ripped off.

tbf that's exactly what Led Zeppelin  did

Edited by tonyh29

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

I think we've touched on this before (quizzes rather than UC)  ... I'm fairly sure I'd blitz most of the people on UC on a general knowledge quiz just because I'm older and had a chance to acquire a vast knowledge of complete and utter useless stuff that they won't have had the opportunity to acquire .... they would of course be able to thrash me on a round of quoting the Knights that go Ni   ,Marxist revolutionary's and The Ramones  ..but all in all I'd be able to see them off with stairway to heaven type knowledge

I got 25 correct answers on last night's. 

1 minute ago, tonyh29 said:

tbf that's exactly what Led Zeppelin  did

The Spirit thing? Yeah. Not the guitar solo, though. Couldn't imagine Noel Gallagher managing that (even if he'd wanted to). 

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The Spirit thing? Yeah. Not the guitar solo, though. Couldn't imagine Noel Gallagher managing that (even if he'd wanted to). 

yeah that's the one....

tbf to Gallagher if memory serves , almost the first song he wrote was "all around the world"  and he held onto it until he could get it to work  , which was by means of adding strings etc ... it's no Stairway , but it kinda shows he had a bit more to him than just ripping off The Beatles 

Edit - (ironically just watching the music video for the first time and they clearly ripped off Yellow Submarine for it :) )

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

yeah that's the one....

tbf to Gallagher if memory serves , almost the first song he wrote was "all around the world"  and he held onto it until he could get it to work  , which was by means of adding strings etc ... it's no Stairway , but it kinda shows he had a bit more to him than just ripping off The Beatles 

Edit - (ironically just watching the music video for the first time and they clearly ripped off Yellow Submarine for it :) )

Noel's commentary on their videos is still one of the funniest things on the internet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

yeah that's the one....

They were taught how to rip off The Beatles by Liverpool band The Real People. True Story

Not only that but they even ripped off the Real People, ripping off The Beatles

Anyone that believes that Chris Griffiths and Noel Gallagher co-wrote Rockin Chair is a fool. That's only the result of "negotiations"

56 minutes ago, bickster said:

They were taught how to rip off The Beatles by Liverpool band The Real People. True Story

Not only that but they even ripped off the Real People, ripping off The Beatles

Anyone that believes that Chris Griffiths and Noel Gallagher co-wrote Rockin Chair is a fool. That's only the result of "negotiations"

Have you finished celebrating Ringo's K, yet? :D

16 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Have you finished celebrating Ringo's K, yet? :D

Don’t like the honours system, don’t like Ringo. Made for each other. He’s welcome to it. Half of Liverpool thinks he’s a dick tbh

• Like 1

I still remember those annoying Aviva adverts Ringo did a while back.

The one advert, Ringo in the back of a car, excitable fans outside, Ringo looks at the camera and asks “would any of this have happened to me if I had still been called Richard Starkey?”.

Yes. Yes it would have, Ringo/Richard.

Second advert, Ringo being picked up by a chauffeur at an airport (I think?) the sign being held by the chauffeur says “Ringo Starr”. Ringo looks at the camera and despondently instructs us “don’t call me by my stage name.”

Oh right. I’m sorry, Ringo/Richard.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I still remember those annoying Aviva adverts Ringo did a while back.

The one advert, Ringo in the back of a car, excitable fans outside, Ringo looks at the camera and asks “would any of this have happened to me if I had still been called Richard Starkey?”.

Yes. Yes it would have, Ringo/Richard.

Second advert, Ringo being picked up by a chauffeur at an airport (I think?) the sign being held by the chauffeur says “Ringo Star”. Ringo looks at the camera and despondently instructs us “don’t call me by my stage name.”

Oh right. I’m sorry, Ringo/Richard.

My Dad drove a taxi at Gatwick and once had to take Zak Starkey back to his house as he forgot his passport and was going on tour with The Who.  Apparently he was on the phone to the airline trying to get them to keep the gate open a bit longer using the 'do you know who I am?' schtick and they had no idea who he was.  Should've called yourself Zingo mate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

yeah that's the one....

My nipper LOVES that video.

But yes, it's a Yellow Submarine rip-off.  Although I always saw it as being a bit tongue in cheek because at that point they'd had the Beatles thing thrown at them, and embraced it, so much that why wouldn't they just go balls out on it.

Â