Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I know! I think it’s happening.

30 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Looking likley to happen then 

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I know! I think it’s happening.

Prob hasn't a lot gone on him tbh, transfer talk on sky later could change all this by dropping his name into a conversation with another club.

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Signing someone with a Liverpool and Barca past must be your worst nightmare!

Heaven forbid they've also played for the dredges of Europe that are Bayern Munich and Inter Milan... 

Edited by Steero113
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Seems like the club has completely flip flopped with their recruitment strategy.

Very bad sign.

This is the Everton trap and is the wrong way to go.

I see your point, but it's a loan. If it doesn't work out then we just send him back to barca, if it does then we can decide if the fee is worth it in the summer, based on performances. 

A squad should have a mix of young talent and quality, experienced players... ours is missing the latter. He would add some much needed creativity and top level experience to the squad. To me this is a no brainer. 

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Signing someone with a Liverpool and Barca past must be your worst nightmare!

Pepe Reina and Mascherano werent too bad or Luis Garcia

Stevie please dont bring them in

17 minutes ago, Teale's 'tache said:

I mean it's a loan right? What's the worst that can happen?

If he's not very good we don't have to play him and we lose a bit of cash, been there done that with Drinkwater and Barkley already.

If we want to have next level players, to begin with at least, we are going to have to take some risks. This feels like a reasonably sensible risk to me.

The worst that can happen? He flops and our talented youngsters see the route to the first team blocked and decide to not sign new deals and or move on.

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Seems like the club has completely flip flopped with their recruitment strategy.

Very bad sign.

This is the Everton trap and is the wrong way to go.

We still have a young squad, 70% of Everton’s first team is over 28

Anyway, the move from Dean to Gerrard showed a bit of a shift from the 'project', or at least moving to a new stage where they are looking at higher profile names.  I'm not sure I totally agree with it but it's the way it's going to go.  I've simply not seen him play so don't know whether this would be good or not but I think to get the best out of Buendia we need a player on his wavelength alongside him.  

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

People who are upset and thinks it " goes against everything we are trying to do, and is not along with our policy " realise that Coutinho ( for example ) coming here to help now, doesn't mean we sell all the other young players we've signed and relinquish the Academy right?

These might just be experienced heads to help us in the now, while our own younger players get to develop, learn from some of the best and slowly get integrated into the team.

I find the reaction to is from some fans really bizarre.  Each to their own I guess. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John said:

No, he would match their bid (although our wage offer would be less) and then Arsenal would outbid us both with £1!:)

Exactly, & Ellis would let the deal collapse even if they we were the only bidders and all they wanted an extra fiver!! All fully in the knowledge he had gone in deliberately £5 under their absolute minimum asking price.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Anyway, the move from Dean to Gerrard showed a bit of a shift from the 'project', or at least moving to a new stage where they are looking at higher profile names.  I'm not sure I totally agree with it but it's the way it's going to go.  I've simply not seen him play so don't know whether this would be good or not but I think to get the best out of Buendia we need a player on his wavelength alongside him.  

I’m not sure it does. We signed Ings under Smith and I think that’s a similar category of signing. Besides you can’t only sign young prospects. If an opportunity like this comes up, we should be taking it. 

• Like 2

Its amazing how people become stuck with ideas, we have been buying younger players with potential and generally done well with it to date, but it does not mean we can’t buy established players as well.

my feeling is like the smith/gerrard situation… dean had reached his ceiling and we needed to try the next thing, try for the next level. We don’t yet know if gerrard is that or not but we had to try. We now have to do the same thing with a few players. We have been buying 20-30 mil players, now we need a next level player or two. This would not be dismissing and stopping buying potential anymore, but be attempting to add the next level of player, if we want to progress its a balance of both. We are not going to beat man city etc to players so we have to think different, look at players like Courtinho, who may or may not work out. If they don’t the owners lost out on a few £, or they do work out we keep heading towards the higher regions of the league and Europe.

to me Cortinho is a risk worth taking. It raises our profile to other players who might not look at villa as a possible place to go, he is a better player than we have currently, having him and Buendia behind the main striker will end the ings/watkins problem and force one of them onto bench, which is how it should be and he knows gerrard and the league already.

why not?

• Like 2

Â