Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

28 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I'm not convinced this one is a good idea. Similar vibes to James Rodriguez to Everton?

It’s a loan though. Worst case we lose out on some loan money. Best case we have a potential world class player trying to get in to the World Cup squad. 100% worth the risk in my opinion. 

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

The option to buy is interesting. 

Ive never understood that. Does it mean we have to buy him if certain criteria is met?

Explanations please?!

Just means we can choose to buy at any point of the loan for the agreed upon price at the start of the loan. 

• Like 1

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

Ive never understood that. Does it mean we have to buy him if certain criteria is met?

Explanations please?!

It could be anything but it’s ultimately down to the player. Could be a fee being agreed in advance but he wouldn’t be compelled to sign, unless we also agreed a contract with him in advance. Could be an option, could be compelled. It’s all very flexible. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Explanations please?!

They usually put a set fee we can pay anytime unlike that stupid Mings clause we had 

20 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

People who are upset and thinks it " goes against everything we are trying to do, and is not along with our policy " realise that Coutinho ( for example ) coming here to help now, doesn't mean we sell all the other young players we've signed and relinquish the Academy right?

These might just be experienced heads to help us in the now, while our own younger players get to develop, learn from some of the best and slowly get integrated into the team.

What exactly is it we are trying to build?

An outfit to compete at the highest level?

Coutinho is one of the best players of recent times and is only 29.

I am ecstatic to read there's a chance of us signing him again.

Even though the fees and his form today is less desirable than when he was at Inter Milan, we'd be getting a player who's pure ability as opposed to potential. 

We can still purchase players who are more suited to a certain criteria that will ensure sustainability as well as success, however it's refreshing to see that our hierarchy hasn't lost sight that it's good football that wins games and not just profitable and sustainable business models.

Edited by A'Villan

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

The worst that can happen? He flops and our talented youngsters see the route to the first team blocked and decide to not sign new deals and or move on.

Or they could be excited they get to train with such a big name player and see the club as going places?

I see your point, he'd be taking up time on the pitch from Chuk and with his contract situation that could cause issues.

I'm just not sure we should turn down players of Coutinho's stature just because it could upset a kid who might come good in the future.

12 minutes ago, hippo said:

Couldn't agree more. Seems strategic thinking is a dirty word at villa these days. An ass covering move to make Stevie G look good.

So huge investment in developing the academy, Nas basically (through his son I think), buying a feeder club, it appears that Wes is going to be involved in a new franchise across the pond and none of that in your opinion is strategic thinking? Do yourself a favour, don’t let your continuing hatred of SG eat you up and turn you against the club you love. He’s here now, enjoy the ride and hope him and therefore we are successful. UTV!!!! 

• Like 4

And btw, I completely get the point that it's risk-free for us. Could be a good transfer. Just got a suspicion he won't live up to expectations (which has been the story of the last few years of his career) and won't really help us progress to where we want to be.

Have all the people wanking themselves silly watched him at Barca?

• Like 1

Â