Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

If he starts Ings and Watkins together against Everton he is mad. It's one or the other. He shouldn't feel forced into shoehorning Ings in. The summer panic transfers of purslow etc are not his mistake to deal have to work with really.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, supermon said:

Thanks for your condescending post, didn't realise I had to back everything little thing up with stats.

4/10 games that's almost half of his games (what do you know I do know a little math), doesn't deflect from fact we're conceding early and starting games poorly.

If you want to make a point with me next time, be an adult and say it respectfully.

Your argument probably wasn’t helped by the support it attracted (not your choice I accept).

But of the games we have lost under Gerrard, only two have involved us conceding early so I think this is not the main thing that is going wrong. Sorry if it appears condescending to point  that out.

2 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Fine tubthumping stuff from you two guys but can either of you tell us in how many of Gerrard’s 10 games as Villa manager we have conceded early?

(To save you the trouble of studying statistics which are maybe not your thang, the answer is in 4 out of the 10 matches we have conceded early and 1 of those we won (Leicester) and 1 we drew (Man U today). So maybe not such a massive issue?)

Also I don't think Gerrard can take any blame for the early goal we conceded today.

You can't account for your (usually reliable) goalkeeper dropping an absolute clanger

• Like 1

Other than Brentford (who have been a thorn in a few sides this season), it’s worth noting we lost (because of awful refereeing) and drew with a team assembled for hundreds and hundreds of millions, we narrowly lost to the inevitable billion pound champions when a draw would have been fair, we lost to liverpool because of a dubious penalty, we lost to Chelsea after a very close game.

You have to be a psychopath, or just accept a nonsense “but we’ve lost foooooour” reason like some posters on here to not see progress. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Last year against Burnley, we played some amazing football, but we really didn't see it consistently. 

That level from that one game is now becoming our standard performance. I'm very impressed at how quickly Gerrard has transformed us. 

Next season is going to be very exciting. 

• Like 4

To me we only look good under Gerard when we are playing at 100mph. For example after the 2nd utd goal yesterday.

Sure Martinez dropped a clanger yesterday - but Gerard was correct was correct when he said the bigger issue was the whole team starting slowly - thus inviting pressure.

I'm not really seeing a style of play or even team shape tbh. Poor as Everton are - it's difficult to see a villa clean sheet there.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

16 minutes ago, mole86 said:

With all due respect I can’t fathom how you’ve failed to see our team shape since Gerrard came in. Maybe spend less time in the Steven Gerrard thread insulting him whilst the matches are going on?

We’ve been inconsistent with our use of the ball but our shape on and off the ball has been the clearest change since he took over

If you're seeing it fine. I'm not. Time will tell.

30 minutes ago, hippo said:

To me we only look good under Gerard when we are playing at 100mph. For example after the 2nd utd goal yesterday.

Sure Martinez dropped a clanger yesterday - but Gerard was correct was correct when he said the bigger issue was the whole team starting slowly - thus inviting pressure.

I'm not really seeing a style of play or even team shape tbh. Poor as Everton are - it's difficult to see a villa clean sheet there.

We only look good when we have something to chase.

How about playing with that intensity from minute one?

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

We only look good when we have something to chase.

How about playing with that intensity from minute one?

Tbf I don't believe that intensity is sustainable over 90 minutes. 

Important as it is I don't believe you can just rely on work rate at this level.

2 hours ago, hippo said:

You can't be serious.

In his first game or two at VP we were playing the ball out from the back slow calm drawing players. Risky stuff.

The Villa Park crowd being the Villa Park crowd only makes things more nervous with groans and cries of get it forward. One game Martinez ironic cheers for putting his foot through it. Embarrassing stuff. I thought no manager at VP will ever get the time to and backing to implement this modern style of restarts

He's done it already. I can see what he is doing...and it's early days. Sometimes it's bloody turgid but it's a work in progress it's been about half a dozen games against good/ish opposition 

6 hours ago, Spoony said:

This is to no one specific but just an observation: if you can’t see the progress you’re literally blind to football. It’s frustrated me that we seem to be able to constantly press and apply pressure and do nothing with it, but we are going in the right direction.

EVERYTHING he says is correct. He was praising Countinho’s commitment to maybe get injured by the post to score the goal, despite not having had to commit to literally anything in years. Such a good I didn’t even consider. I’d want to play for this man. 

100% this, we are playing much much better than under Deano, granted we seem to huff, puff and struggle a bit with the last decisive pass and finish at the moment, but the build up play, intricate play, one twos, speed of progression etc is light and day compared to what we were doing under deano imo.

we are doing some silly stuff as per the usual Villa way of doing things, but as above, i agree that if you cant see progress under Gerrard compared to the previous 12 months, you are literally blind :)

• Like 3

He's doing ok but you can't say that performance was better than the away game at Manu in the premier with Smith at the helm, it wasn't. Unless your blind to football........

Now Gerrard has a plan to take us forward and I'm looking forward to it but let's stop trying to dismiss what Smith did within Gerrard first few games, let's give him time and judge then , if he can improve us as much as Smith did over his reign then we should be winning the league within 3 seasons , I would accept top 6. UTV 

• Like 1

Â