Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

I think it's hard to compare the two in terms of transfers. We could outspend teams in the championship. The TV money justified the outlay.

Then we had to assemble a team at 100mph in our first season back. 

Now imo we have a decent squad of players. Bringing in better is going to cost. We have to spend much more money for marginal gains. But we have a decent squad of players bombing a whole load of em out shouldn't be necessary imo. Build on what we have.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Yeah sorry of course he would have been. I just mean with the emphasis on recruitment and player data now smith was likely presented with players that have been found and match a certain criteria. So there’ll be an understanding that not all will be successful. I don’t think he blew any money at all 

No worries 👍

Smith left us with a  good squad that i cant deny. Just a shame he couldnt get the best out of them. Im confident Gerrard can

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hippo said:

Now imo we have a decent squad of players. Bringing in better is going to cost. We have to spend much more money for marginal gains. But we have a decent squad of players bombing a whole load of em out shouldn't be necessary imo. Build on what we have.

I do agree but would really really like us to sign some inexpensive lesser known 23 year old from abroad or lower league that just lands in the PL and hits the ground running. A real amazing find. Other teams do it.

I know they’re trying to build the brand and I respect that, and I know we will have to spend but that can be done wisely eg Leicester and even Wolves.  To be fair though, I think Buendia will be great, Ings will keep scoring for us, very happy with Coutinho, I’ve massively come round to the idea of Digne. The only concern re the Grealish money so far is Bailey due to the injuries and the fact that I’m not sure how he will fit in Gerrards system, time will tell on that one.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

No worries 👍

Smith left us with a  good squad that i cant deny. Just a shame he couldnt get the best out of them. Im confident Gerrard can

Problem is at what point do we call this ?

If we have a dissapointing rest of the season and Stevie G goes to the board and says:-

"These guys aren't up to it - we need to ship out Ming's/Konsa/Mcginn/Watkins - and build a new team" 

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

I don’t think that the quality of the squad is the major issue here. The greater problem is that we don’t have the right balance or blend. We have loads of 8’s but only one 6. We have loads of wide forwards but only 2 full backs etc. Our players are also a bit too similar physically. We lack power and pace everywhere.

Gerrard will need to address this but it’s not a quick fix and he’ll need to work with what he has in the meantime,

Agreed. I'm not expecting us to storm up the table. Equally hovering just above the RZ wouldn't be acceptable either.

• Like 1

Remember Fergie. Was fully committed to bringing through the youth but not at the expense of winning football matches. Thats how i imagine Gerrard will be. Support the youth but squeeze every last penny out of the club to improve where needed. I think Digne is one of the latter type of signings and it doesnt block a youth player as we really do not have a left back on the horizon in the youth team as yet. 

Seeing Gerrard walk out and turn back to look at the Stratford End at the start of the game the other night with a smile on his face whilst getting pelters from the fans is the sort of confidence and swagger that I love to see. 

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 4

We have spent money on a raft of young players and continue to do so.

Meantime we are bringing in experienced players to keep us moving forward while the youth development continues.

It's a good plan, and with the Gerrard name at the helm we can bring in those higher level players.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, hippo said:

Tell me about this fresh modern training approach ?  - I take it you've been to Bodymoor heath ?

Refer to this:

Also worth mentioning the private insta account he set up for the players, utilising a platform they're all obsessed with. May well just be a fad, but it's modern. 

It's reasonable to assume he also brings a lot of modern theory with him given how recently he's completed coaching badges.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Be interesting to see how things pan out over the next 4 years, the constant links to Liverpool will always be there,  biggest difference between us and Liverpool is the spending power, us under NSWE will always outspend Liverpool,  what does that Liverpool squad look like in 4 years? It’s going to be a very difficult task following Klopp with a 34 year old Salah, Mane,?VVD and plenty more will be past their prime by then. IF we are in a decent position and are really pushing and that the Liverpool job comes available and looks like a big rebuilding job does he go there?

Just now, gwi1890 said:

Be interesting to see how things pan out over the next 4 years, the constant links to Liverpool will always be there,  biggest difference between us and Liverpool is the spending power, us under NSWE will always outspend Liverpool,  what does that Liverpool squad look like in 4 years? It’s going to be a very difficult task following Klopp with a 34 year old Salah, Mane,?VVD and plenty more will be past their prime by then. IF we are in a decent position and are really pushing and that the Liverpool job comes available and looks like a big rebuilding job does he go there?

Yes

3 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

The story of how he lacerated his penis! What a trooper, not a story I’d heard before! A true winners mentality. I’d be straight off to be stitched back up!!

Wow. Never heard of that before. Probably the most compelling story I’ve heard to back up banning blades instead of studs. 

He has 'pulling power' (oo-er) alright - but there is some good fortune in all of this too - the timing of Coutinho and Digne's availability this window is a big  factor. Could be true of Bissouma too if we get him.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jareth said:

He has 'pulling power' (oo-er) alright - but there is some good fortune in all of this too - the timing of Coutinho and Digne's availability this window is a big  factor. Could be true of Bissouma too if we get him.

Good point. Let's hope we get a little.more timing go our way.

• Like 1

He's a great talker in the media. I can imagine he's pretty inspiring to listen to as a player whether you've signed for Villa yet or not.

Looking forward to seeing us improve.

Feels like by the end of Jan they'll be no room left for excuses. His own mantra of course.

• Like 2

Â