Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

The break is a good time to fix some issues. The main one is quite serious in that we only play 45 minute games at the moment and its not good enough 

Im not expecting us to dominate for 90 minutes but at least be on it. Vs United we beay them twice if we played the full game properly 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The break is a good time to fix some issues. The main one is quite serious in that we only play 45 minute games at the moment and its not good enough 

Im not expecting us to dominate for 90 minutes but at least be on it. Vs United we beay them twice if we played the full game properly 

Something that needs to be addressed and rectified, absolutely. 

However no point banging on skulls to wake it in us, as it's as much about recognising that we've had a fair amount of change occur, and for some time.

Add to this first choice players aren't all established and so we've tinkered with how we play to find out what works and what to leave behind. Then not all our players have been available. We have the makings of a great team, but we are not so deep with talent that we can just expect ourselves to be on top of contests based on the will of the players alone. 

Every fixture is a fresh game of chess and we have done well to date under SG to walk away winners where we have. A well placed pawn can take down a king, but some sides are so full of ability they've got queens instead of pawns on the board.

9 hours ago, A'Villan said:

Harsh on DS I'm going to say.

Full credit to SG but it's also easy to be personable and likeable when you're an elite level former player who's arguably one of if not the greatest in your position, who's also a winning fresh face after a scare run, someone who is bringing in other successful people and raising the standards and calibre immediately. 

He deserves the praise he gets and I'm all for it alongside you.

I want to say though that despite the doubts some had about DS initially, I could see and shared the evidence that he was going to take us places. He did, and even when the esteem shifted and our clubs owners and decision makers felt SG was better equipped to take us higher, and it certainly seems they were right, I think its quite harsh on Dean Smith to dismiss him as some are doing. Look closely at the details, like the evidence that indicated his brand of football would yield results eventually when he was appointed, and many said it looks good and is fun but where are the results. I feel the evidence also shows that despite losing five games in a row, he was actually not given much opportunity to show how high his ceiling was. That's not me being sentimental about him being Villa, that's through many hours of watching and then reading various sources for analysis. 

Forgive the rant, yes, SG is deemed to be a better prospect for success and from many levels I would agree, but I wanted to write this to show respect for Dean Smiths work here. I think in time he vary well mightve got us among the best. 

Not to be and one last reiteration, I agree with the clubs choices. 

Agree Smith was far from perfect, but wet blanket? Nah wide of the mark there. He was too soft on the players internally probably. Publicly he was what we expect.

My posts will show I wasn't a fan of the idea of Gerrard.

Thus far he has proved me stupid and wrong. Long may that continue. Love the arrogance and swagger 🤭

• Like 2

On 22/01/2022 at 21:04, useless said:

Particularly impressive when in those 10 matches we have played 4 of the teams in the top 5 of the form table: Man City (1st), Liverpool (2nd), Man Utd (3rd) and Chelsea (5th) plus Brighton and Leicester who are both in the top half (of the actual league table) and Everton (who would expect to finish in the top half) in the first match after getting rid of Benitez and fans/players fired up to the eyeballs.  That is 7 of the 10 matches where we wouldn't be necessarily expected to pick up results.  Norwich, Palace and Brentford are probably the only 3 where we'd expect to start as favourites.

Edited by allani

He is not a nice guy and I like him because of it. I loved the way he even told the media that he wanted Everton fans to focus on him so the players could focus on the game. Everton fans still fell straight for it even though he told them what his plan was.

50% win rate in the premier league in his first 10 games is a great haul for any manager with our squad.

One day he may turn to us and say "I did a good job for you, but now I am off the Liverpool. Now grow a pair and get over it."

And I will be just fine with that.

Love him.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

He is not a nice guy and I like him because of it. I loved the way he even told the media that he wanted Everton fans to focus on him so the players could focus on the game. Everton fans still fell straight for it even though he told them what his plan was.

50% win rate in the premier league in his first 10 games is a great haul for any manager with our squad.

One day he may turn to us and say "I did a good job for you, but now I am off the Liverpool. Now grow a pair and get over it."

Love him.

Couldn’t agree more.

It is clearly an honour for him to be given the opportunity to manage our club… if it isn’t, he is faking it very well…

Everyone knows who his club is and where ultimately his loyalties lie…

If he does a good enough job for us for his boyhood club to want him to be their manager… Crack on Stevie…

Edited by DJ_Villain
Poorly worded
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Love him.

In fairness Tim Sherwood had a similar win rate after ten games so its no indicator

• Like 1

On 23/01/2022 at 11:14, Peter Griffin said:

Very impressive to be above Arsenal, Hammers and Brighton. I would not have expected that at the start

And that includes playing a fair few top teams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â