Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

11 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Yeah for all the good news coming out we need to start getting some actual results

Exactly.

The 4th most expensive player ever - best goalie ive seen in 50 years signs a new deal.  V a club with idiotic owners - no manager and just lost a popular player. there can be no excuses tomorrow. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We're putting things in place to hit the ground running next season.

There were fans talking about Europe when Smith was here but that was so unrealistic given what we had to do to start building. 

3 full years in, our squad is going to look very strong for next season. I expect us to really push for that top 7 next season. 

I don't think it was totally unrealistic BUT I do think it required Jack to stay fit, which clearly did not happen, as Smith couldn't find a way to play without him and maybe we didn't have the quality to play without him.

I agree that we are building a strong squad - a young left back to replace Targett in the summer (Hickey hopefully) (not because he is not a good player but because I don't think he'll want to play second fiddle and he doesn't suit a 4-3-2-1 the way Stevie wants to play); a good back up CB; a quality DCM, maybe another "10"/wide player and a back up striker to replace Ings (I can't see him staying if he doesn't get serious game time and I don't think he suits Stevie's style) - and we will have a quality 23. Also depends upon how some of the youngsters progress/do on loan.

35 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We're putting things in place to hit the ground running next season.

There were fans talking about Europe when Smith was here but that was so unrealistic given what we had to do to start building. 

3 full years in, our squad is going to look very strong for next season. I expect us to really push for that top 7 next season. 

Yep. This season almost feels like a write off and I'm not surprised given the Summer window, the Grealish departure and Smith leaving.
Give Gerrard and co. a full pre season with a couple more signings and we'll give the top 7 a bloody good go next season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, barry'sboots said:

I don't think it was totally unrealistic BUT I do think it required Jack to stay fit, which clearly did not happen, as Smith couldn't find a way to play without him and maybe we didn't have the quality to play without him.

I agree that we are building a strong squad - a young left back to replace Targett in the summer (Hickey hopefully) (not because he is not a good player but because I don't think he'll want to play second fiddle and he doesn't suit a 4-3-2-1 the way Stevie wants to play); a good back up CB; a quality DCM, maybe another "10"/wide player and a back up striker to replace Ings (I can't see him staying if he doesn't get serious game time and I don't think he suits Stevie's style) - and we will have a quality 23. Also depends upon how some of the youngsters progress/do on loan.

When you look at what we are bringing in now and last summer, I think it's pretty clear our squad was no where near the European place level.

Even with the likes of Coutinho and Digne, it's still going to be a major challenge. 

All teams in the top half have strong squads and we need to finish above at least 3 of them. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Yep. This season almost feels like a write off and I'm not surprised given the Summer window, the Grealish departure and Smith leaving.
Give Gerrard and co. a full pre season with a couple more signings and we'll give the top 7 a bloody good go next season. 

I'm not sure it is.  Gerrard needs to prove he can win games to continue the investment.

• Like 1

On 19/01/2022 at 13:37, tinker said:

I like Gerrard and hope he does well.......Smith produced some of the greatest villa games I have seen in the last 10 years. I hope Gerrard can continue and improve the great work he did. 

The difference between the two is that Gerrard has played at the top level and knows what is required, in terms of standards and quality. To get to the top you need to understand the path to take and Dean was relying on an A to Z for directions instead of Google Maps. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

I miss winning games. Feels like ages since we did. In fact it is ages since we did. Even longer since we kept a clean sheet. 

Wasn't that also the last game we won 😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Adman said:

I'm not sure it is.  Gerrard needs to prove he can win games to continue the investment.

He’s already won more league games than Smith so I guess he has won his spurs?

Edited by briny_ear

8 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

The difference between the two is that Gerrard has played at the top level and knows what is required, in terms of standards and quality. To get to the top you need to understand the path to take and Dean was relying on an A to Z for directions instead of Google Maps. 

Fingers crossed he knows how to use it. Today's a big test .

9 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Totally agree with this. Gerrard knows what good looks like and will work relentlessly to make it happen. I always thought that Dean was a bit too forgiving. He only seemed to see the good in some of his players. Gerrard won’t accept low standards. 

Â