Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

18 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm hoping that SG is thinking about giving Kesler a chance at right back. There is a rashness to Cash's play that is becoming a liability to the team.

If he can throw Chuck in the mix, then why not this promising, young lad ?

I think that's exactly why he has brought him back.

However, I also think he might reckon Cash has a higher ceiling than Targett, so is giving him more of a chance.

Bare in mind, Cash was really a Right Winger I think, before conversion?

Cash has all the energy and application in the world, he just needs to tweak certain areas.

I'm interested to see what Kessler can do as well though, I haven't watched him play as closely as some others have so not even sure yet.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

It really isn't hard, but most football managers are frightened to speak like this about currently irrelevant former clubs.

Excellent.

Gerrard can get away with it though. Liverpool fanbase will never turn on him, if was somebody else they would be licking up to the fans 

26 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Gerrard can get away with it though. Liverpool fanbase will never turn on him, if was somebody else they would be licking up to the fans 

Yes, and those that do lick up are idiots. It's pointless.

Fans turning on you for saying no I'd like to talk about my current club please are also idiots.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2022 at 17:42, tinker said:

He's doing ok but you can't say that performance was better than the away game at Manu in the premier with Smith at the helm, it wasn't. Unless your blind to football........

Now Gerrard has a plan to take us forward and I'm looking forward to it but let's stop trying to dismiss what Smith did within Gerrard first few games, let's give him time and judge then , if he can improve us as much as Smith did over his reign then we should be winning the league within 3 seasons , I would accept top 6. UTV 

I would suggest that there is big difference between getting a side promoted an stable in the prem to breaking into that top group. That’s why the likes of Steve Bruce an Neil Warnock have numerous promotions on their CV but don’t get near the top end of the league and/or a look in at the top jobs.

Be interesting to see if Gerrard can get you amongst the top 6. I’m sure that it will be his aim. Players like coutiniho an digne haven’t signed to be mid table an I don’t reckon gerrard has either.

The lack of patience in football is staggering at the min an must be at an all time low. Im not a villa fan but I can quite clearly see a step up in performance since Gerrard came in. The game on Saturday was so unfortunate with that early howler - an it’s so difficult to legislate for that. 

16 hours ago, Pablo_2531 said:

I would suggest that there is big difference between getting a side promoted an stable in the prem to breaking into that top group. That’s why the likes of Steve Bruce an Neil Warnock have numerous promotions on their CV but don’t get near the top end of the league and/or a look in at the top jobs.

Be interesting to see if Gerrard can get you amongst the top 6. I’m sure that it will be his aim. Players like coutiniho an digne haven’t signed to be mid table an I don’t reckon gerrard has either.

The lack of patience in football is staggering at the min an must be at an all time low. Im not a villa fan but I can quite clearly see a step up in performance since Gerrard came in. The game on Saturday was so unfortunate with that early howler - an it’s so difficult to legislate for that. 

I like Gerrard and hope he does well.......Smith produced some of the greatest villa games I have seen in the last 10 years. I hope Gerrard can continue and improve the great work he did. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tinker said:

I like Gerrard and hope he does well.......Smith produced some of the greatest villa games I have seen in the last 10 years. I hope Gerrard can continue and improve the great work he did. 

Probably more than 10 years...

• Like 4

Just now, Woody1000 said:

I just get the impression that there is a BIG change of culture around the football club.

Standards. Gerrard has obviously set the standards bar very high indeed and there’s absolutely nothing wrong in that.

It’s sink or swim now for the current group of players and some will thrive/revel and improve, some won’t and be moved on.

Gerrard has so far been most impressive and a breath of fresh air. All we need now is a strong finish to the season and we’re in good shape.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Standards. Gerrard has obviously set the standards bar very high indeed and there’s absolutely nothing wrong in that.

It’s sink or swim now for the current group of players and some will thrive/revel and improve, some won’t and be moved on.

Gerrard has so far been most impressive and a breath of fresh air. All we need now is a strong finish to the season and we’re in good shape.

Completely agree mate.

Dean will always have a special place in my heart as a supporter of our great club, but we just feel like a different outfit now under Gerrard - both on and off the pitch.

Such exciting times to be a fan of Aston Villa!

• Like 2

I loved Dean still do but I think this is the difference. Stevie got to the highest level as a player, he knows what is required to be the best players. The amount of quality you need within the squad, youths will get a chance if they're good enough. 

I was really unsure about him being our manager being too soon like Lampard but I couldn't be more wrong. 

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

No mincing of words or diluting of the ambitions.

Fine words.

A brief look at villa history will tell you that approach has never worked at Aston Villa.

Our successes have come from a relatively small squads with fringe players ready to step in.

Ings/Watkins in theory is great competition for places - but are we getting the best out of either of them? For example.

24 minutes ago, hippo said:

Fine words.

A brief look at villa history will tell you that approach has never worked at Aston Villa.

Our successes have come from a relatively small squads with fringe players ready to step in.

Ings/Watkins in theory is great competition for places - but are we getting the best out of either of them? For example.

Our last time of being anywhere near successful was 30 years ago. It's such a different world these days. To compete successfully in the league, a domestic cup and a European competition, you are talking about remaining competitive in upwards of 50 matches. Can't do that with a small squad, in particular because the international make up of squads has increased so much, so players are likely to have international commitments if they are any good.

I'm wondering if Gerrard's words were in part aimed at Watkins, who seems to have gone into a sulk since Ings arrives and rarely gives any impression of knowing he has to interact with him on the pitch. We can't afford behaviour like this.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Our last time of being anywhere near successful was 30 years ago. It's such a different world these days. To compete successfully in the league, a domestic cup and a European competition, you are talking about remaining competitive in upwards of 50 matches. Can't do that with a small squad, in particular because the international make up of squads has increased so much, so players are likely to have international commitments if they are any good.

I'm wondering if Gerrard's words were in part aimed at Watkins, who seems to have gone into a sulk since Ings arrives and rarely gives any impression of knowing he has to interact with him on the pitch. We can't afford behaviour like this.

But right now we aren't in Europe and are out of both cups. If we don't beat Everton tommorow that will be 1 win in 7 - and that was against Norwich.

We need to manage the 11 on the pitch. Having cover for every position in the event of injury loss of form would be nice. But it shouldn't distract from the here and now.

Clubs do win matches without the strength in depth of Man City / Liverpool etc.

Â