Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

18 minutes ago, macandally said:

Not a Gerrard problem, Dean couldn’t get 90 out of them either.  If he can crack that, we will shoot up the table

He seems to get a reaction out of them at half time after what is probably a rollicking, he even said so in his post match interview. Agree we will shoot up if he can get that aspect right.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, supermon said:

He seems to get a reaction out of them at half time after what is probably a rollicking, he even said so in his post match interview. Agree we will shoot up if he can get that aspect right.

problem for the players is, the ones who keep not listening will be binned off.

which tbh, is a good thing.

I really like his transparency in the post match interview. I am trying to understand however, why he started with Ing's and Watkins again as surely he must see it doesn't work. We could've started with the additional midfielder which imo would have kept us more solid early in the game. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, supermon said:

Need to start games better under Gerrard, stop giving us a mountain to climb by conceding so early

That’s not on Gerrard. The players keep making basic errors that lead to goals. We have been unlucky too. The signs are super positive. We are very close to something special 

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

That’s not on Gerrard. The players keep making basic errors that lead to goals. We have been unlucky too. The signs are super positive. We are very close to something special 

I think it is on Gerrard as much as the players. I think, under Gerrard we have been at our best when we have only have one of Ings or Watkins on the pitch. I see very little cohesion up front when they're both on at the same time. Now if that isn't addressed, as it hasn't been yet, then it is most definitely on the manager. As it was with Smith.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Gerrard makes a fantastic point - players make mistakes attempting to play how Gerrard wants them to play (short passes around the back being one example). These things take time and the players will sharpen up.

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

Gerrard makes a fantastic point - players make mistakes attempting to play how Gerrard wants them to play (short passes around the back being one example). These things take time and the players will sharpen up.

It takes time and also new personnel to be honest. Fans around me where I sit hate it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I think it is on Gerrard as much as the players. I think, under Gerrard we have been at our best when we have only have one of Ings or Watkins on the pitch. I see very little cohesion up front when they're both on at the same time. Now if that isn't addressed, as it hasn't been yet, then it is most definitely on the manager. As it was with Smith.

In training it must work brilliantly given both Smith and Gerrard have stuck with it but for some reason it isn’t working match time.  They both would’ve seen it in the matches so it must be something else.  

My only conclusion (apart from when we had a lot of injuries and no other choice) is that in training it works really well.  It’s the only reason it makes sense given two different managers (plus coaching staff) have stuck with it.

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

Gerrard makes a fantastic point - players make mistakes attempting to play how Gerrard wants them to play

Gerrard understands. Breaking eggs to make omelettes and other homilies.

But Gerrard is starting to get a problem ... he now has something approaching a squad  that he has to keep happy. Bailey, Nakamba, Young (though this one easy),  Traore, Hause, McGinn, Targett and the Academy in general. Having said that, it is a good problem to have

13 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I don’t like it either to be honest and yet we have out played Utd twice in one week. When was the last time we did that. Gerrard knows what he is doing. I really believe that. He will not settle for anything that doesn’t work. He is as winner

2 hours ago, supermon said:

Need to start games better under Gerrard, stop giving us a mountain to climb by conceding so early

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Exactly this. 

He needs to get this sorted. 

Fine tubthumping stuff from you two guys but can either of you tell us in how many of Gerrard’s 10 games as Villa manager we have conceded early?

(To save you the trouble of studying statistics which are maybe not your thang, the answer is in 4 out of the 10 matches we have conceded early and 1 of those we won (Leicester) and 1 we drew (Man U today). So maybe not such a massive issue?)

Edited by briny_ear

Probably been mentioned already but the next 6 games (Everton, Leeds, Newcastle, Watford, Brighton, Southampton) are all winnable and thus potentially season-defining. Like what I've seen thus far from Gerrard's Villa so optimistic going into it.

1 hour ago, briny_ear said:

Fine tubthumping stuff from you two guys but can either of you tell us in how many of Gerrard’s 10 games as Villa manager we have conceded early?

(To save you the trouble of studying statistics which are maybe not your thang, the answer is in 4 out of the 10 matches we have conceded early and 1 of those we won (Leicester) and 1 we drew (Man U today). So maybe not such a massive issue?)

Thanks for your condescending post, didn't realise I had to back everything little thing up with stats.

4/10 games that's almost half of his games (what do you know I do know a little math), doesn't deflect from fact we're conceding early and starting games poorly.

If you want to make a point with me next time, be an adult and say it respectfully.

• Like 2

Â