Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 minutes ago, burchy said:

I’d be inclined to let him go if a decent offer came in for him and then replace him with a player that can do offensive/defensive duties better.

If we’re not going the DCM route someone like Mahmoud Dahoud, Manuel Locatelli or Aurelian Tchouameni that can do both jobs equally well and be that deep lying playmaker.

Honestly I wouldn't rule out selling any of our senior central midfielders..... They are all good players but they either aren't good enough or far more likely they just don't mix together to make a really good cohesive unit.

I think we will sign a back up goalkeeper, a defender, a DM and an attacking midfielder, and perhaps Tuanzebe aside will probably all be players that haven't been talked about like Bailey and Ings.

• Like 1

Just now, Xela said:

Rome wasn't built overnight. But Rome never had Man City picking off their best bits every few years!

I'm not sure building a Champions League team the slow and steady way will work. Players get taken by the bigger teams to destabilise them. Maybe we'll go shock and awe this season and gatecrash the 'elite'. 

Maybe. Or maybe i've had too much ribena and need to go to bed. 

Both Spurs and Leicester have done it this way in recent years, despite Leicester's incessant choking. 

I'm not going to start dooming about finishing 8th and having Man United come in with a bucket load of cash for a Buendia or a Watkins next summer. That's not an outcome you can really plan for. If it does, we move again. Only this time it's not *quite* Jack Grealish we're having to replace. This was a fairly unique situation. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

There's no doubt we will still spend. If Jack was staying wed have spent at least £60 to try and keep improving and keep him at the club. 

I think there's another 1 or 2 big signings to come before the end of the window. 

A whole £60?

I was thinking more £59.99

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

If we don't make the signings to get into Europe spot this season Jack will certainly leave next season

I'm so glad we don't have this worry hanging over us any more. We can go at our own pace now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

95 mill to go then🤑

Maybe more if we sell some players, it depends who we bring in. 

Bring in a wide forward..... El Ghazi to go
Right back..... Guilbert to go

Hourihane is probably looking for a new club
Bring in a DCM and Nakamba might be for sale.

20 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Purslow spoke so clearly that the usual rules of reading between the lines do not apply.

He said that we have acted swiftly to replace Grealish's attacking output with three strategic signings, and in doing so we have sought to un-burden ourselves from our overreliance on one player. Nothing more, nothing less.

It doesn't surprise me that people are trying to read into it something that isn't there. But it doesn't mean there won't be more signings, or that there will be. It was just a factual statement about our recruitment policy. 

I think this is fair. 
I get frustrated with people saying we still have close to 100m left to spend, forgetting that we are still in a pandemic and a period of recovery, (along with everyone else), the fact we have spent 85m already and signed someone who won serie A last year who isn’t going to be on low wages…

If we hadn’t have sold Jack, I don’t think we would have seen Bailey and possibly Ings arrive. I do think we would have still signed Buendia based on how quickly that was completed.  

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I think this is fair. 
I get frustrated with people saying we still have close to 100m left to spend, forgetting that we are still in a pandemic and a period of recovery, (along with everyone else), the fact we have spent 85m already and signed someone who won serie A last year who isn’t going to be on low wages…

If we hadn’t have sold Jack, I don’t think we would have seen Bailey and possibly Ings arrive. I do think we would have got Buendia based on how quick that was done.  

Maybe. It's hard to know what the plans were *with* Grealish and we will most likely never know. I don't think it matters, we are where we are. 

Are you frustrated because you can sense the rising disappointment when we don't sign another £100m worth of players this month? 

6 minutes ago, burchy said:

I’d be inclined to let him go if a decent offer came in for him and then replace him with a player that can do offensive/defensive duties better.

If we’re not going the DCM route someone like Mahmoud Dahoud, Manuel Locatelli or Aurelian Tchouameni that can do both jobs equally well and be that deep lying playmaker.

Yeah I agree. I like Luiz and still think he can develop greatly. But my general principle is I don’t want 5/6 experienced ‘seniors’ vying for 3 spots in CM. Not leaving any opportunities for Academy graduates. They need to be blooded, otherwise it’s all for nought.

All those players recommended would be excellent but I would want to move a current ‘senior’ to balance. Upgrade the seniors whilst still leaving ops for academy grads.

3 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Maybe more if we sell some players, it depends who we bring in. 

Bring in a wide forward..... El Ghazi to go
Right back..... Guilbert to go

Hourihane is probably looking for a new club
Bring in a DCM and Nakamba might be for sale.

Mate, but if for example, they were planning to spend circa 80 mill anyway, and we've also pulled in 100 mill - total of 180 mill ( After spending 85 mill so far ) we should still have a healthy chunk to spend.

If we spent say, 65 mill of that balance, we'd still come off much stronger, both personnel wise, and financially.