Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Did we get money for Samatta and Engels sales? That could be added to the war chest.

Think Samatha had a £5.5m fee agreed at the end of his loan. A small loss overall, nice to see that now we’re run properly even the unsuccessful signings aren’t total disasters!

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

We are still up £20 million in net spending so surely we still need to strengthen?  If Buendia was bought to replace Grealish then this City deal must have been in the background for months.

A clever club buys players in case you need them - in case your star has injury problems

This idea that Purslow doesn't want other teams to think we've got money to spend, doesn't really make sense because as soon as we bid or enquire for a player they will then know that we have money to spend, it's not as if he announced that we'd spent all the Grealish money, or as if other clubs won't know that our owners have money anyway...

I think it was just us being secretive about our transfer dealings, and probably with intention of making the media think we wouldn't be buying any more players rather than other football clubs.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Ashley Preece (B’ham Mail) and Dan Bardell are 100% sure we are definitely not done in the market.

I agree with the sentiment but surely one thing we’ve learnt through this transfer window is they know sweet FA.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, useless said:

This idea that Purslow doesn't want other teams to think we've got money to spend, doesn't really make sense because as soon as we bid or enquire for a player they will then know that we have money to spend, it's not as if he announced that we'd spent all the Grealish money, or as if other clubs won't know that our owners have money anyway...

I think it was just us being secretive about our transfer dealings.

It does make it seem like we don’t suddenly have 100m to spend. If we go to a club and bid 20m they could realistically assume it’s the last 20m in our transfer budget instead of assuming we now have 100m burning a hole.

2 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I agree with the sentiment but surely one thing we’ve learnt through this transfer window is they know sweet FA.

Exactly this! I’d wait and see how we are looking by the time the window closes! 
There will have been targets of Grealish had stayed so that won’t have changed. 
I’d expect at least two more in along with Tuanzebe! 

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I read it as we have signed 3 players to replace 1. So surely it means we sign more? 

we will sign more.

Purslow was talking about replacing Grealish in the aggregate.

Read Moneyball, great book.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, dubbs said:

We want proof you've got a left arm before we accept 🤣

40 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

giphy.gif?cid=5e21488635puzn84wfeunu902e

wait, do you even have a left arm? 

35 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Are you left handed? If so, that's a bold pledge.

Oh don't give me technicalities.

• Haha 3

From Purslows interview I got the feeling we are done. But now I've analysed the situation.

Buendia done before the Euros (33-38m). That was spent no matter what. Bailey we've been negotiating for weeks before Jacks bid came in so that's definitely the ESR money (30m) 

I get the feeling only Ings transfer is using Jacks money (£25m). Ings himself says said it took like 2 days. Grealish Saga since Monday. 

I reckon we've got another 70-75m left to spend. Sell AEG (15m), Hourihane (4m) Wesley (Most likely to be loaned out). That could potentially 89-94m left. 

• Like 1

I think we’ll stick with our midfield for now, especially given the comments made by McGinn in his recent interview, saying he’s over his injuries and fitter than ever.

We do need an extra DCM though, someone who can progress the ball forward better than Luiz or Nakamba, I think that would really help our back four. 

We also do need a new LW/ACM too. I know at a push Young and El Ghazi can play there but we need a Bailey equivalent on the left, an Nkunku, Kamada, Cherki level player. I’m not sure Cantwell is that player though.

If we could get these two players in I think we’d be guaranteed European football. 

Also did anyone else read the Grealish statement and the just go ‘Oh F&£@ Off’ out loud?

The king is dead, long live the king and all that. UTV

11 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I read it as we have signed 3 players to replace 1. So surely it means we sign more? 

I definitely heard it as we have replaced Jack with three signings.  I don't think we would have signed no-one if Jack had stayed.  So I think we are still in for a couple of transfers.  I also wouldn't be surprised if one of them is a young, left-sided midfielder.  Purslow has already taken the pressure off that player by saying that he wouldn't be Jack's replacement - that has been done through three other players.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, burchy said:

We also do need a new LW/ACM too. I know at a push Young and El Ghazi can play there but we need a Bailey equivalent on the left,

Bailey 90 games for Bayer at LW vs 41 at RW

• Like 1