Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

3 minutes ago, Tayls said:

We’ve spent, what, 85m on the three signings so far? Give or take a couple of mill. Not to mention their wages and also the wages for Young as well. 

There really can’t be that much more going on in terms of incoming. If there is then great. But I suspect there won’t be. 

But you’re assuming the only spending we would’ve done was on the hope that Grealish was sold. We definitely would’ve brought in a few players regardless of the sale so I absolutely believe there’s a lot more money left. Whether or not they actually use it all is another question.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Doesn't Jacks fee leave us 15 mill in profit? Or -15 mill net spend this window?

But yeah, doesn't mean we should go doing stupid business either.

Yep. Plus the money that was offered to Jack to stay will cover the 3 new players wages. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

How has anyone taken that We're done spending from that video?

We've replaced Jack so all the talk of Cantwell is probably rubbish  

But we all know we need another CB so no chance we don't add any more.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Villaphil said:

So we spent £100m to replace Jack, but we’ll still have the budget for the plans we had if he stayed.

Dean always said a could of quality players, so that’s what….. £60m-£80m?

Far too positive. Signings are done. This is it. Let’s all have a moan. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

How has anyone taken that We're done spending from that video?

We've replaced Jack so all the talk of Cantwell is probably rubbish  

But we all know we need another CB so no chance we don't add any more.

I see Cantwell as a replacement for ElGhazi, but not at £40m.  We’ll have moved on.

I'll rephrase that - it wouldn't be prudent to sign another 5/6 players and have the same massive churn that has stung us in the past. We know what we are lacking in terms of high quality, so lets go get that if we can and move forward. 

Rome wasn't built overnight. 

• Like 2

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they don't feel the need to rush out and spend it all now. In fact, it would be a poor strategy IMO. Hold some of that sweet FFP headroom back for January and next summer. 

Go big on a DM, bring a Tuanzebe on loan and call it a successful reassignment of value. The last thing we need is another 2/3 players on top of that to integrate into an already bloated squad. 

I suppose it depends on who the targets for other key positions are and whether they are available. I agree no point spending for the sake of it.  We’ve made loses pretty much every season for as long as I can’t remember.  Maybe they feel it’s a good time to balance the books a bit.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Fair. Howcome? 

Well, the bit about being in chaos that you mentioned seemed anything but to me.

The board knew there was a risk of losing Jack, and had a plan should that situation arise. I doubt they thought it would be this year, but irrespective, they've acted decisively and we can still look forward to the season ahead.

On further recruits, Purslow mentioned that we've effectively replaced Jack with 3 players. We've signed 4 already, so I viewed his comments about signings to be limited to replacing Jack, and not the wider discussion about the rest of the team.

Finally, given how tight lipped we are about such matters, I doubt he's going to outline our strategy on a video chat to the fans.

Under previous owners, we'd be up shit creek right now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Luiz

I’d be inclined to let him go if a decent offer came in for him and then replace him with a player that can do offensive/defensive duties better.

If we’re not going the DCM route someone like Mahmoud Dahoud, Manuel Locatelli or Aurelian Tchouameni that can do both jobs equally well and be that deep lying playmaker.

• Thanks 1

There's no doubt we will still spend. If Jack was staying wed have spent at least £60 to try and keep improving and keep him at the club. 

I think there's another 1 or 2 big signings to come before the end of the window. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I suppose it depends on who the targets for other key positions are and whether they are available. I agree no point spending for the sake of it.  We’ve made loses pretty much every season for as long as I can’t remember.  Maybe they feel it’s a good time to balance the books a bit.

I don't think is as much about balancing the books in terms of real terms investment as holding some back in terms of FFP headroom for next season and beyond. We don't know exactly where we will be in 12 months time, but we may be shopping in Harrods as opposed to Selfridges, and having space on the FFP credit account could be a major blessing. 

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'll rephrase that - it wouldn't be prudent to sign another 5/6 players and have the same massive churn that has stung us in the past. We know what we are lacking in terms of high quality, so lets go get that if we can and move forward. 

Rome wasn't built overnight. 

Rome wasn't built overnight. But Rome never had Man City picking off their best bits every few years!

I'm not sure building a Champions League team the slow and steady way will work. Players get taken by the bigger teams to destabilise them. Maybe we'll go shock and awe this season and gatecrash the 'elite'. 

Maybe. Or maybe i've had too much ribena and need to go to bed. 

• Like 2