Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You're a long time Villa fan, but a City player and a Chelsea fan leaving, have left you feeling " disconnected " from the club?

Yup! Those two were mainly about the ‘identity’ aspect of what I wrote down. Losing players and staff around the place is often not a good thing, and let’s face it those two are pretty high profile.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

So we can fit four more players in then? Have I missed any out guys? My brain is frazzled after the last two days. Can't see Trezeguet getting included. Maybe Davis? 

We can, although I don't think we will.

If they were under 21 on the 31st of December just gone,  they won't count. So apply that to whoever it counts for, and they can play without being registered in our squad.

I expect 1 or maybe 2 more signings.

11 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I think we need to be careful, if we add too many more signings it starts turning into a rebuild, which we absolutely do not need. With confirmation that Jack has now left and with Terry having departed a week or so ago, I feel like we have lost some of our identity in a way, and I feel really disconnected from the club. These are big names that have now gone from the club completely. So, I’m more worried… I also don’t know why I feel like that. Should be used to it by now. 

This is in no way a rebuild. Too be fair to you though. During this Villa resurgence, Terry was an integral part of our defensive development and Grealish was not only the face of the team but mostly the entire attack going forward. So I understand the concern about loss of identity somewhat. But you have to have faith in the ownership. They've already proved to us they are competent in how they do their business. This club is far removed from what it was under Lerner or Xia. In terms of players and coaching, It's also been thought of by some that Shakespeare was the replacement for Terry when we signed him so if you believe that we've already had a year with him as part of the team. They are also not going to go out and blow loads of money for the sake of it. Purslow already said today they've "replaced" Grealish with the new signings so it's realistic to assume we would see another 1-3 signings in the door since we would've needed that many this summer regardless of the Grealish sale.

I also think, if you're feeling disconnected from the club you should look at that as were you more following the player or the club?

Edited by Aston_Villan4

Need to start getting players out the door

Hourihane, Wesley, and harsh on him but anwar all need to leave permanently.

Ideally get some of our young players out on loan, J Ramsey has to be playing in a team that will be challenging in championship for a season,

I'd keep Davis around as cover , won't get much of a fee for him and don't see us benefiting by loaning him out at this point

15 minutes ago, burchy said:

There was talk before all the Grealish circus of quality opposed to quantity and quality is circa 30-40m plus so even with only two players targeted we’d be looking at 80m odd, without the 100m added on from the Grealish sale. 

We’ve still got sizeable money spend I feel. It will be interesting to see who we spend it on and how much.

I think there’s an opportunity for us here and I hope we seize it with both hands. 

Get the feeling Buendia was in both scenarios, so you may be double counting ?  Guessing …. Konsa cover, 2nd Gk, 1 significant CM and replacing any further exits.

4 hours ago, est1874 said:

What happened to Alvarez??

Played last night in the Superclasico. If this was ever going to happen it was always going to be a late August one. River Plate play their two legs of their Copa Libertadores Quarter Final over the next two Thursdays.

I don't think we hear more, if anything, until the very end of the month. He wouldn't be a starter for us anyway. He would be bought with an eye to develop with substitute and cup performances, so bringing him late in the window once the season has started is less of a risk.

I can envision him being purchased at the end of the window, which is immediately before the international break. Even if he is not called up to the national squad, he can fly back to the UK with one/both of the Emis.

If it happens at all...

This is crazy. I have now seen many mentioning that AEG needs to go, be sold for,as low as 10m£  A player that scores double figured last season and a player who could have had more assists if our attackers had been more lethal in front of goal. Now we have Ings and people wants him to leave? 🤔🤨

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, smg said:

Cantwell , why not ? He has talent that our coaches can develop, he has played with Buendia, we could use Conor as part of the deal, yes he is alleged to be a dick off the pitch but the last one we had didn’t do too bad for us in the transfer market so give it a go It I say

I can't say I've seen Cantwell play much but, looking at his statistics, he is not on the level we need to reach top6-8. A decent (not exceptional) championship /lower half Premier league player at best. 

24 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I think we need to be careful, if we add too many more signings it starts turning into a rebuild, which we absolutely do not need. With confirmation that Jack has now left and with Terry having departed a week or so ago, I feel like we have lost some of our identity in a way. These are big names that have now gone from the club completely. So, I’m more worried… I also don’t know why I feel like that. Should be used to it by now. 

Interesting thought process Just wondering how old are you @Tayls?

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Smith has specifically mentioned in the past not wanting a bloated squad. 25 players including academy players is plenty, in my opinion. 

You don't need to include academy players though, you can have a first team squad with fourteen registered players* and still have eighty one academy players available for selection - everyone that's U21 is available for the squad but doesn't have to be counted as one of the 25.

*There might be a minimum registration rule, you probably can't register just fourteen players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I can't say I've seen Cantwell play much but, looking at his statistics, he is not on the level we need to reach top6-8. A decent (not exceptional) championship /lower half Premier league player at best. 

At the moment possibly  but if we want to progress we have to develop players not just buy the finished article. He has ability, time for our coaching staff to earn their money.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It’s Twitter and those shitty videos of the Jack memory’s that make you feel sad. Just avoid both like the plague. 

Killed me watching my lad watch it earlier... a 33 year old man almost in tears over a fecking football player moving clubs 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

This is crazy. I have now seen many mentioning that AEG needs to go, be sold for,as low as 10m£  A player that scores double figured last season and a player who could have had more assists if our attackers had been more lethal in front of goal. Now we have Ings and people wants him to leave? 🤔🤨

I think that’s because of how much we have hopefully improved. El Ghazi did well last season but he may struggle for minutes this season. 

4 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

It’s a simplification and I don’t know too much about him but his stats in the Champ last season are almost exactly the same as Grealish’s at the same age and we just sold Grealish for £100m a couple of years later. It’s a funny old game.

It's a deflating time for all but, adding Ings, Buendia and Bailey to our attack gives us so many forward options compared to what we had. I still think we will push for Europe this season and that Buendia above all becomes a revelation. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wurzel said:

Haven't we got players going out to international competitions this winter? If we have do we need cover?

Nah they tend to be in warmer places so they’ll just do shirts and shorts same as normal.

• Haha 4