Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

8 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Haven't read much here yet, but I must admit that I found Purslow's statement slightly disquieting - it was very much a 'we're done' statement. We wanted to replace Jack and we've done it with three players - good - and we've brought in Ashley Young - good - and we've got some fine academy players - good. but for me it feels like there's a whole chunk about strengthening the rest of the squad that's missing.

If we'd kept Jack and only signed Ashley Young would we done? Of course not.

The club needs a back up keeper, a centre half and most importantly, at least one, possibly two central midfielders. 

If we're done for this summer, I'm not sure we're progressing.

Surprised to hear this from you mate. You the bold part should tell you we’re not done. 

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

but they're a few years away yet.

A few of them are in their 20s though but none of us seem to be suggesting the likes of Revan or Bridge as back up to Konsa. Do any of us know what’s happening with these guys? Revan and Appiah are both huge monster defenders, surely they deserve a chance as opposed to Tuanzebe (although I would love it for the song alone). 

Our owners have spent up the FFP limits EVERY SINGLE SEASON they've owned us. They've pumped their own cash in as capital to allow us to do so.

No way they're wasting a chance to spend more without needing to put any of their own money in. Assuming that the right player at the right price is available, we'll be going after them.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Are you frustrated because you can sense the rising disappointment when we don't sign another £100m worth of players this month? 

I think we need to be careful, if we add too many more signings it starts turning into a rebuild, which we absolutely do not need. With confirmation that Jack has now left and with Terry having departed a week or so ago, I feel like we have lost some of our identity in a way. These are big names that have now gone from the club completely. So, I’m more worried… I also don’t know why I feel like that. Should be used to it by now. 

Edited by Tayls
Poor choice of words
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Surprised to hear this from you mate. You the bold part should tell you we’re not done. 

And I'm hoping we're not done, I don't think we can afford to be - it just seemed a strange statement, if you mention three parts of the equation - the three replacements, Young and the Academy players - you really highlight the omission of the fourth part in not including any mention of strengthening elsewhere.

I've full faith in these owners, Christian Purslow, Mr Lange and Dean Smith making the right decisions to take us forward - just a peculiarly worded statement I think.

I don't know why but I too also felt, after listening to Purslow earlier, that we may have finished our dealing at the top end of the pitch. 

I think that we will probably now buy or loan in a keeper and secure the loan of Tuanzebe, plus maybe see the odd player leave, like Hourihane and a younger player or two out on loan. 

Might start the season with a 25 man squad of:

Martinez, new keeper, Steer, Guilbert, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Hause, Tuanzebe, Targett, Young, McGinn, Nakamba, Luiz, Chukuemeka, J Ramsey, A Ramsey, Philogene-Bidace, El Ghazi, Traore, Bailey, Buendia, Ings, Watkins, Wesley. 

Purslow mentioned our incredible youngsters and there are only four of them in that 25 man squad. Unless I've got it wrong and we're allowed a bigger squad than 25 I think that'll pretty much be it. 

6 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

Maybe a hidden message to others, put your prices down, we aren't spending that much. Who knows? I would think a quality midfielder would come in.

If that were true I'd get a centre back and leave it at that. Rather spend it in a future window than have your pants pulled down.

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

I think we need to be careful, if we add too many more signings it starts turning into a rebuild, which we absolutely do not need. With confirmation that Jack has now left and with Terry having departed a week or so ago, I feel like we have lost some of our identity in a way, and I feel really disconnected from the club. These are big names that have now gone from the club completely. So, I’m more worried… I also don’t know why I feel like that. Should be used to it by now. 

Feel very much that way myself

Just now, Villarocker said:

Purslow mentioned our incredible youngsters and there are only four of them in that 25 man squad. Unless I've got it wrong and we're allowed a bigger squad than 25 I think that'll pretty much be it. 

I think you can register as many youngsters as you like - the 25 man squad have to be over an age (I'm not sure what age that is).

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

I don't know why but I too also felt, after listening to Purslow earlier, that we may have finished our dealing at the top end of the pitch. 

I think that we will probably now buy or loan in a keeper and secure the loan of Tuanzebe, plus maybe see the odd player leave, like Hourihane and a younger player or two out on loan. 

Might start the season with a 25 man squad of:

Martinez, new keeper, Steer, Guilbert, Cash, Konsa, Mings, Hause, Tuanzebe, Targett, Young, McGinn, Nakamba, Luiz, Chukuemeka, J Ramsey, A Ramsey, Philogene-Bidace, El Ghazi, Traore, Bailey, Buendia, Ings, Watkins, Wesley. 

Youth players don't count in your 25 limit

2 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I think we need to be careful, if we add too many more signings it starts turning into a rebuild, which we absolutely do not need. With confirmation that Jack has now left and with Terry having departed a week or so ago, I feel like we have lost some of our identity in a way, and I feel really disconnected from the club. These are big names that have now gone from the club completely. So, I’m more worried… I also don’t know why I feel like that. Should be used to it by now. 

You're a long time Villa fan, but a City player and a Chelsea fan leaving, have left you feeling " disconnected " from the club?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Youth players don't count in your 25 limit

So we can fit four more players in then? Have I missed any out guys? My brain is frazzled after the last two days. Can't see Trezeguet getting included. Maybe Davis? 

I just don't think there is any way we are remotely done. These owners have pumped cash into the club since they came. Now they have 100m to spend and continue to build on an already good squad. I'm fairly confident we'll see at least a holding midfielder, a back up centre back but not sure we'll get another attacking midfielder with Carney, JPB and even the Ramsey brothers as decent back up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

I absolutely agree with the bit in bold. It's something I felt back in May when I saw suggestions of needing 5/6 players. Grealish going necessitates a retooling of our attack and a different strategy to the "couple of strategic signings" mooted back then, but to be honest I feel that part is now complete with Buendia, Bailey, Ings and Chukwuemeka all coming into the first team mix. 

However, this does now leave room to improve in other areas and we should probably try to do that. Engels and Heaton also buggered off, so that needs to be considered. It's unfortunate this is happening, but it is what it is. 

On the rest, players and coaches come and go. Not being down the ground for a long time has probably clouded how we appreciate our team, I am certain you'll fall in love with this new lot just as you have teams past. Give it time bro. 

4 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

I think we all know what he meant

True, I'm just being a prick to satisfy myself lol.

On a serious note though, I know what you lot mean, I felt the same for a very short period and had to shake it.

It's just an unexpected transition/evolution period, that's all.

We've endured MUCH worse.

We were just beginning to enjoy the stability, we'll be fine.

Trust me, once the Football is back on, we'll soon get back to what we do.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think you can register as many youngsters as you like - the 25 man squad have to be over an age (I'm not sure what age that is).

Smith has specifically mentioned in the past not wanting a bloated squad. 25 players including academy players is plenty, in my opinion.