Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Very interesting to see if there are more incomings, it should be if we are ambitious. Buendia, Baily and Ings sums up to exactly the £100M doesn't it? I would expect us to have at least £50-70M to spent regardless of the £100M, otherwise also we have been hit hard by the pandemic or the owners already have started to loose interest, which I don't think is the case.

I guess Buendia was signed as Barkleys replacement and would have been the marquee signing of this summer had Jack stayed. With Baily and Ings being brought in as we got the £100M.

I expect us to get at least one MF and one CB. Preferrably I'd like two CB, one MF, one AMF and a back up GK. 

12 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I think this is fair. 
I get frustrated with people saying we still have close to 100m left to spend, forgetting that we are still in a pandemic and a period of recovery, (along with everyone else), the fact we have spent 85m already and signed someone who won serie A last year who isn’t going to be on low wages…

If we hadn’t have sold Jack, I don’t think we would have seen Bailey and possibly Ings arrive. I do think we would have still signed Buendia based on how quickly that was completed.  

Why does it frustrate you? Do you really think we would've only spent 35 million this window had we not sold Jack?

Edited by Aston_Villan4

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Haven't read much here yet, but I must admit that I found Purslow's statement slightly disquieting - it was very much a 'we're done' statement. We wanted to replace Jack and we've done it with three players - good - and we've brought in Ashley Young - good - and we've got some fine academy players - good. but for me it feels like there's a whole chunk about strengthening the rest of the squad that's missing.

If we'd kept Jack and only signed Ashley Young would we done? Of course not.

The club needs a back up keeper, a centre half and most importantly, at least one, possibly two central midfielders. 

If we're done for this summer, I'm not sure we're progressing.

There's no way we're done. Isn't Axel on the verge of joining on loan?

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Haven't read much here yet, but I must admit that I found Purslow's statement slightly disquieting - it was very much a 'we're done' statement. We wanted to replace Jack and we've done it with three players - good - and we've brought in Ashley Young - good - and we've got some fine academy players - good. but for me it feels like there's a whole chunk about strengthening the rest of the squad that's missing.

The club needs a back up keeper, a centre half and most importantly, at least one, possibly two central midfielders. 

I read the statement as we are already done replacing Jack not we are done in the market.... everyone knows we aren't done we don't even have a forth centre back.

• Like 2

There was talk before all the Grealish circus of quality opposed to quantity and quality is circa 30-40m plus so even with only two players targeted we’d be looking at 80m odd, without the 100m added on from the Grealish sale. 

We’ve still got sizeable money spend I feel. It will be interesting to see who we spend it on and how much.

I think there’s an opportunity for us here and I hope we seize it with both hands. 

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I didn't hear it this way at all. We've been actively bidding for JWP by all accounts. He was hardly a replacement for Jack. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Maybe a hidden message to others, put your prices down, we aren't spending that much. Who knows? I would think a quality midfielder would come in.

• Like 1

As others have said, we wanted to show our ambition to keep Grealish by signing Ward-Prowse, Bailey and Buendia. If we finish the window with a negative £10m net spend there was never any ambition as it means we would have only signed Young if we kept Grealish.

I think the Ings signing was a reaction to us knowing Grealish was off, but I think we’d have got Bailey anyway.

Really hope we have a decent budget left for a DM and a young CAM / LW.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yeah I thought the same, he didn’t really hint at any more faces coming in.

Feel a CB is a definite, CM is a tricky one, feel like we are stacked out with central central midfielder options (inc Ramsey, & Chuk) - but definitely need re-enforcements in the DM and AM roles.

I imagine Lange is on top of it 🤞

Cantwell , why not ? He has talent that our coaches can develop, he has played with Buendia, we could use Conor as part of the deal, yes he is alleged to be a dick off the pitch but the last one we had didn’t do too bad for us in the transfer market so give it a go It I say

Edited by smg