Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

They maybe looking at playing 433 or Sanson or McGinn as a 10. How much had you heard of ESR before the window? I knew of him because he was cheap in fantasy football so had eye on him but ended up not buying. Never looked at him as a must buy like some are saying since the link. Another thing is successful teams gel with the same core team over a few seasons making strategic additions over several windows. Chucking in 3-4 new 1st XI players has as much if not more chance as backfiring as being successful. There's no reason the core team plus Buendia won't improve massively on last season. I really think some people approach team building like it's a computer game.

Agree on the 433 as an option, I have seen a lot of ESR before this window as he has been in the arsenal team for 18 months regularly as far as I remember.

I don’t think he is a must buy either but he would improve us.

Before the window opened I felt the must replace in the first 11 was a DCM and right wide forward.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Villa Gaffa said:

Its starting to look like we have already done our big signings for this window. Maybe the uncertainty with FFP is playing a part.

We obviously have money but don't seem to be making bids so the club could be restricted by whatever they have been told is happening with FFP.

If we wanted a player then I think we would have bid and got the deal sorted to get the player asap so we can have the squad sorted as early as possible. 

Don’t think so, any changes to FFP will be a loosening and it isn’t done retrospectively.

I simply think the lack of movement has been down to other factors which are unknown to fans.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

I suspect it’s more the impact of the Euros and Copa America. The big transfers will generally only happen when the international players come back from holiday and then the transfer chains will kick off. It’s going to be a crazy last few weeks in the window. 

Agreed. I think we may see another quiet week this week and then from the 26th onwards it’s likely to get very busy. 

For me, the absolute must is a young central defender and a top quality starting defensive midfielder. Anything else is a bonus. 

• Like 2

The long term weakness of the team has been controlling the centre of the pitch. Without that you can’t control the game. As @TRO mentioned above that was exactly what happened in the Euros final. 

No matter how good your defence is, against a good team if you concede the centre of the pitch, they will create lots of chances and eventually are likely to score. The same with strikers, they will only score if you get them the ball consistently in dangerous areas, no matter how good they are. Central midfield is vital, always has been, always will be. That’s the position we need to strengthen. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The market is generally quiet, but usually is until the very end. I am sure the club are waiting until the dust settles around Jack because if he goes we have different priorities and more money for targets. But it does seem we want a new #10, that will be the exciting one.

I also think we are waiting for interest around Luiz to manifest, I think he might be surplus to what we need and if we had the right offer he would go and we would buy a heavy weight DM.

With a fully fit squad (excluding Trez) I would be happy to start the season with what we have:

Sanson, Buendia and Nakamba will offer much more this season, the old McGinn will hopefully turn up, Traore and AEG should build on a decent season, Ollie should kick on and we will hopefully have Jack for more than 2/3rds of the season. I think we will improve with what we have. Could do with a little bit more solidity and fairy dust though if we are serious about Europe.

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

The long term weakness of the team has been controlling the centre of the pitch. Without that you can’t control the game. As @TRO mentioned above that was exactly what happened in the Euros final. 

No matter how good your defence is, against a good team if you concede the centre of the pitch, they will create lots of chances and eventually are likely to score. The same with strikers, they will only score if you get them the ball consistently in dangerous areas, no matter how good they are. Central midfield is vital, always has been, always will be. That’s the position we need to strengthen. 

So do we fix it by adding a player who mainly help us keep the ball better and in more dangerous positions, or do we do it by adding a player that mainly helps us retake the ball when we don't have it? England had 2 highly rated defensive midfield players from the PL playing and they still lost the midfield against Italy.

Doubt we will afford to add both types, and finding a player who does both will likely be extremely expensive and those players are scarce.

I've mainly seen it as our main fault was our inability to keep the ball in the attacking 3rd and that this left our team stretched and easy to pass through along with limited defensive contribution from Barkley & Traore. So for me the addition of Buendia fixes a big part of this, hopefully.

But I'm also leaning towards that our team and the players already here might be more suited to playing with a 5 (6) and two 8's rather than with the 5 (6) a 8 and a 10 so adding someone like Kamara or Tchouaméni sound very attractive to me.

• Like 2

I think we are focusing on the ACM role. Once this is hopefully sorted and we know where we are, we will move on to our other targets. I still think we will make 3 more signings. Some of that may also be dependent on 1 or 2 leaving. Lots of plate spinning to be undertaken yet!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Another thing is successful teams gel with the same core team over a few seasons making strategic additions over several windows.

Difference is they are already at the top and are trying to maintain that whereas we are trying to get there first.

6 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Chucking in 3-4 new 1st XI players has as much if not more chance as backfiring as being successful. There's no reason the core team plus Buendia won't improve massively on last season. I really think some people approach team building like it's a computer game.

I agree adding 3-4 first XI players is a risk but also expecting the core plus Buendia to take a massive step forward which is midtable to European places is unrealistic in my view.  If we massively overachieve then we could sneak it but we could just as easily be 11th again.  Unlike what you said of “computer game” I think it’s going into a season being prepared for the position you are wanting to achieve because if you don’t have the tools you are unlikely going to get the job done.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M_Afro said:

I think we are focusing on the ACM role. Once this is hopefully sorted and we know where we are, we will move on to our other targets. I still think we will make 3 more signings. Some of that may also be dependent on 1 or 2 leaving. Lots of plate spinning to be undertaken yet!

Just out of interest where would you see an ACM fitting in to our staring 11?

Would you see it something like this:

McGinn     Luiz

Traore       Buendia      Grealish

ACM

Ollie

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

McGinn     Luiz

ACM

Ollie

Only playing 3 at the back?

Move buendia right and new ACM between buendia and grealish. Gives us options to rotate too

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see Buendia moved to the left hand side. So we could be after a RW. 

I wouldn't get too caught up in actual positions, but it would be nice to add another left footed player to our attacking line up just to balance. 

7 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

i'd quite like us to sign someone this week. gone a bit quiet hasn't it?

Yep it’s a bit like…

Meme Reaction GIF by Silicon Valley

Cabin Fever Reaction GIF

Edited by nick76

30 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

McGinn     Luiz

ACM

Ollie

I just think Dean wants options. He will sometimes play a 3 behind Ollie and 2 holders and at other times a 4-3-3. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yep it’s a bit like…

Meme Reaction GIF by Silicon Valley

Cabin Fever Reaction GIF

The one positive of it being so quiet would be that we're not making loud noises to find someone to fill Jack's boots. 

You would think that if the club thought he was off, we'd be peddling hard to bring in replacements first.

• Like 2