Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 hours ago, bobzy said:

I find it interesting that, after our manager states we will be looking for players with Premier League experience, the continued suggestions are always foreign-based wonderkids etc. 

Because looking only at Premier league based players is **** stupid as you are often paying 2 or 3 times what they are worth. Look at Ben White. He isn't great, not even Brightons 2nd best CB but cost twice as much as any of our signings ever but Buendia and Watkins. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Because looking only at Premier league based players is **** stupid as you are often paying 2 or 3 times what they are worth. Look at Ben White. He isn't great, not even Brightons 2nd best CB but cost twice as much as any of our signings ever but Buendia and Watkins. 

22 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Couldn’t agree with you more… established or renowned English players being the most overpriced, overrated and overpaid… I’d prefer moving for the up and coming players from the Championship if we want “go British” a la Matty Cash.

But there is so much value out there, from other leagues and countries, with greater potential and higher quality… those are the kinds of moves that the biggest or most successful clubs make… you never see them linked to the likes of Alli, Lingard, Drinkwater, Barkley, Winks and so on nowadays… let’s not be mugs and waste time and money on those sorts…

If we want to reach those levels or climb above those teams, we need to do smart business and make smart moves… as we have been doing and should continue to do with some/most of our recent signings…

• Thanks 2

Just now, useless said:

People rubbishing Ben White reminds me of fans of other clubs that rubbished us when we signed the likes of Watkins, Mings, Cash and so on, he's a very good player was one of the best in the championship with Leeds, which is why they offered £25m plus for him last summer even though he had no Premier League experience, and he's since had a season in the premier leauge and done very well, earning himself a call up to the England squad.

He's had a similar trajectory to the likes of Konsa, Mings and Watkins, we're lucky that we don't have to sell them but if we had to and the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea were trying to buy them we'd want a similar amount of money, probably more in Watkins case.

Besides we're looking to sign a third choice centre-back, so Ben White's transfer fee has little relevance to us, even if we sign a defender with experience of playing in the UK, there are plenty that we could get as a back up option that wouldn't cost anywhere near what it would cost to buy Ben White.

It’s not so much rubbishing the player but rubbishing the fee, £50m is absolutely ridiculous…

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

We should buying and wanting the “next big things” rather than the old or tired ones…

completely agree. Posted this in the U23 squad thread …

I wonder if we are one of clubs going for Lewis Bate? He’s v.highly rated and likened to a young wilshere. We should sign him up alongside Tino Livramento and why not make it a threesome and get Myles Peart-Harris whilst we are at it. All forced to team with the U16 as they won’t sign new contracts. 

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

completely agree. Posted this in the U23 squad thread …

I wonder if we are one of clubs going for Lewis Bate? He’s v.highly rated and likened to a young wilshere. We should sign him up alongside Tino Livramento and why not make it a threesome and get Myles Peart-Harris whilst we are at it. All forced to team with the U16 as they won’t sign new contracts. 

Yeah it’s good to see us making these moves…I have no doubts over our regime…

Again, I’m thankful that fans don’t have a say or influence in our transfer strategy. Would be a bloody disaster! 🤣

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Couldn’t agree with you more… established or renowned English players being the most overpriced, overrated and overpaid… I’d prefer moving for the up and coming players from the Championship if we want “go British” a la Matty Cash.

But there is so much value out there, from other leagues and countries, with greater potential and higher quality… those are the kinds of moves that the biggest or most successful clubs make…

I think Dwight McNeil is a great throwback old school style winger… But IMO he is never going to live up to his price tag and we can find such better value elsewhere as you’ve said. It seems to be working great between Smith & lange’s team at present and long may that continue. Big issues will arise if/when that  relationship falters. 

Edited by thabucks

7 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Would you accept less for Konsa?

Very good point … Ben white also made the euro squad (Konsa deserved to be but that’s for another thread) 

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Would you accept less for Konsa?

I wouldn’t sell Konsa… the question is not on selling players but valuations. Clubs can demand whatever they want for their most valued players but thats because they do not want to and needn’t sell unless crazy offers come in… 

It doesn’t justify the transfer values of players such as White…

Does it make sense for Arsenal, not a big or successful club in financial turmoil, to spend £50m on him?

I can understand Varane being valued or bought for £50m but Ben White? Why not look elsewhere and get better value?

Many of the best defenders in this league didn’t cost massive fees and is in Ben White on their level, yet?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Lingard has had more than just a bad season with Utd, he's been bad for years and more interested in media profile and other activities.  5 months success doesnt convince me otherwise.  Yes he would've definitely improved us in the second half of last season no doubt but I still have doubts about long term or buying Lingard.  He's a talent non doubt but he doesnt have the committed attitude that we have nurtured at this club and that we have in this squad and thus for me I'm not convinced he should be someone we should be targeting.

Fair assessment if I'm being honest.

I'm perhaps only looking at the last 5 months when thinking of him as a potential transfer target. I don't actually like him with all his dancing etc; however as a football when in form he is very good.

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

Hmmm not sure about that. 

I rate Konsa as the best young Centre Half in the country. He's an absolute Rolls Royce at the position.