Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Have I missed something about a Ben white - why is his fee such a hot topic discussion ? We bidding ?

I think it’s because he cost more than some of our defenders

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

i wouldnt mind us bringing in a Konsa type to develop but before they get to Brentford for example. Bring in a youngster as 4th choice and develop him. We might also bring in a cheap back up if they think an academy player can step up next season

Only slight problem is they simply won’t get the minutes at PL level to progress. We can get the players before Brentford, but that 12 or 24 months at championship level (PL level this year obv) brings the best out of a lot of players, where they might only get a handful of chances with our senior team. We can buy and then loan out I suppose, but that’s seems to be what we’re doing with our youth investment.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Because looking only at Premier league based players is **** stupid as you are often paying 2 or 3 times what they are worth. Look at Ben White. He isn't great, not even Brightons 2nd best CB but cost twice as much as any of our signings ever but Buendia and Watkins. 

Premier League experience, not necessarily Premier League based.

I don’t disagree by the way. That’s just been the communication from the club about the players we want to target.

(Ben White is a great signing by Arsenal btw)

59 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Premier League experience, not necessarily Premier League based.

I don’t disagree by the way. That’s just been the communication from the club about the players we want to target.

After getting their fingers burnt in the first season back, it's understandable that they don't want too many players who need a long adaptation time to the country and league. I think the majority will be like buendia or Watkins, with the odd one from the continent, as we saw with Sanson. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

After getting their fingers burnt in the first season back, it's understandable that they don't want too many players who need a long adaptation time to the country and league. I think the majority will be like buendia or Watkins, with the odd one from the continent, as we saw with Sanson. 

I’m okay with them taking a risk on Julian Alvarez, or De Arrascaeta - or both. 

Kinda feel like a Mexican standoff in the market at the moment, a few deals happening but no really big moves yet that would traditionally start the avalanche. Wonder which transfer will be the trigger, or whether it’ll limp along as an extension of the Covid weirdness? 

• Like 1

On 17/07/2021 at 13:00, Jas10 said:

Yep:

Anguissa, Kamara, Koopmeiners….

We need some steel and quality in there, I don’t want our defence to be under so much pressure in so many games…we have to address it somehow…and learn to dominate games more often…

Ditto.

31 minutes ago, Awol said:

I’m okay with them taking a risk on Julian Alvarez, or De Arrascaeta - or both. 

Kinda feel like a Mexican standoff in the market at the moment, a few deals happening but no really big moves yet that would traditionally start the avalanche. Wonder which transfer will be the trigger, or whether it’ll limp along as an extension of the Covid weirdness? 

seems like sellers are getting greedy, and buyers are waiting for value to return.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

are we all of the opinion, that more signings for the first squad, will arrive?

I am unsure.

2 more, CB cover and an attacking midfielder, hopefully the attacking player is Alvarez, not a clue on the defender 

We'll play a long game, it's not necessarily about what we need next season it's about what we need for the next 5 years and I think a fair bit of that is sat in our academy, we won't buy players that block routes just to feel more confident about our depth this season, especially not in cover positions, don't see a striker coming in for example, I don't think it'll happen and yeah it'll leave us looking a bit short but the long term answer is in the youth team, we'll wait for him or even better give him some time, maybe more than anything we'll give him pre season and then review it again 

Maybe some loans at the death 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am unsure.

If you asked me right after Buendia signed and the rumours were flying around about Sarr, De Arrascaeta, Alvarez, ESR etc etc, i would have said 100% yes.

But we have had a couple of weeks now of literally nothing, with only 4 weeks until the season starts?

Obviously and logically, we have signed 2 players very early on, the transfer market is now only heating up, so the next couple of weeks should see a lot of movement, hopefully we will be involved in that!

So yeah, i kinda think yes, but the fact we hear nothing concrete is a little concerning (but also how we seem to operate these days).

I would be super super disappointed if we dont sign another player or two, Buendia and Young were great signings, but i do think we critically need 1-2 players still, and not addressing the issues in other positions wouldnt be good imo.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am unsure.

I was actually thinking about this in the garden this afternoon.  I really think this summer is key so I hope not but I think the fans need to seriously set their expectations of next seasons performance based on what we can achieve depending on the squad we have.  

I currently think our squad is a top 10 team on average but no more.  Overachieving with this squad could sneak a European place but just as easily we could end up 12th.

Our first XI still has a number of holes to fill and our squad depth quality is not strong enough to have the options, injuries, suspensions and form issues to last a full season.  We could have a strong first half of the season again and tail off the second part again.

If we get some more quality in that could change, so given the owners ambitions I believe we will get more first teamers in.

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am unsure.

I see no reason to be concerned… as we all know, most business is completed near or at the end of the transfer window, no matter how much clubs would like to complete their business earlier… we’ve done well to get Buendia in so soon…

As you know, deals and negotiations take time and I’m sure there’s is plenty of activity going on “behind the scenes”…

As fans, we do get restless or anxious, especially when there isn’t much info released but it’s pleasing to see that the club’s regime is so capable and basically just “gets on with it”… keeping enquiries and negotiations under wraps just puts you in a stronger position and reduces the risk of rising fees and added competition for players…

Still plenty of time left to complete deals yet and after such a disruptive season, there have been international tournaments to deal with and player departures and arrivals… it’s all been a bit up in the air so not the easiest time to sign players quite yet… I expect much more to happen and materialise within the next couple of weeks…

We just need to be patient…. but it’s hard! 😆

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

2 more, CB cover and an attacking midfielder, hopefully the attacking player is Alvarez, not a clue on the defender 

We'll play a long game, it's not necessarily about what we need next season it's about what we need for the next 5 years and I think a fair bit of that is sat in our academy, we won't buy players that block routes just to feel more confident about our depth this season, especially not in cover positions, don't see a striker coming in for example, I don't think it'll happen and yeah it'll leave us looking a bit short but the long term answer is in the youth team, we'll wait for him or even better give him some time, maybe more than anything we'll give him pre season and then review it again 

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If that’s true will the fans give Smith the support then because we are likely to end up in the same position in the league, hopefully top 10 but it’s hard to see better than that?

Alvarez is an unknown and probably take some time to settle so will likely only be back up so we are only Buendia better off really for first team impact, which is great but not really pushing us significantly to comfortable European places. 

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

what is your answer to the popular view, that we seemed to have an easy route to our defence, that midfield is wide open to attack.

Will Nakamba, continue his better form from the back end of last season?

Its an area that concerns me.....Just like England in the final, we concede possession, very easily and sit deep, too often.

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

Ditto.

What do you suggest? A new DM? Any specific players?

Certainly a problem we need to address…the highest priority…

But I also feel that our players will display better form this season, should be a lot less disruptive or chaotic…