Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

If that’s true will the fans give Smith the support then because we are likely to end up in the same position in the league, hopefully top 10 but it’s hard to see better than that?

Alvarez is an unknown and probably take some time to settle so will likely only be back up so we are only Buendia better off really for first team impact, which is great but not really pushing us significantly to comfortable European places. 

I still think we lack and orchestator/General call them what you will....a midfield driver, that stops/starts attacks ....are we relying on one emerging, with another seasons development, under our belt.

I don't think we will sign one, so I am unsure if Europe is realistic.....depends is our existing players have improved from last season, which is quite feasible.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I see no reason to be concerned… as we all know, most business is completed near or at the end of the transfer window, no matter how much clubs would like to complete their business earlier… we’ve done well to get Buendia in so soon…

As you know, deals and negotiations take time and I’m sure there’s is plenty of activity going on “behind the scenes”…

As fans, we do get restless or anxious, especially when there isn’t much info released but it’s pleasing to see that the club’s regime is so capable and basically just “gets on with it”… keeping enquiries and negotiations under wraps just puts you in a stronger position and reduces the risk of rising fees and added competition for players…

Still plenty of time left to complete deals yet and after such a disruptive season, there have been international tournaments to deal with and player departures and arrivals… it’s all been a bit up in the air so not the easiest time to sign players quite yet… I expect much more to happen and materialise within the next couple of weeks…

We just need to be patient…. but it’s hard! 😆

you are much too sensible...for impatient old farts like me.

However the 2 Emi's were great business, so yes, I do trust our current staff to succeed, in their pursuit of strengthening.

I do hope that we still do some serious business, by that I mean some genuinely high quality players.

I just feel we have a big opportunity, if we make the right moves in the market, to surpass some of the teams that finished above us last season. 

I’d like to see us take advantage… these chances are few and far between…

Everton, Leeds, Arsenal, Spurs…. West Ham…

The chance is there to be better and to finish higher than them… it’s not going to be easy but it’s doable if we really upgrade this team in the right areas (within budget & capabilities) and display some consistency in our form and performances…

I really hope we go for it and manage to get European football for the following season….would be delighted…

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

you are much too sensible...for impatient old farts like me.

However the 2 Emi's were great business, so yes, I do trust our current staff to succeed, in their pursuit of strengthening.

No TRO, you are a pillar of wisdom and I am but a speck of dirt in your presence…

I think we need 3 minimum.

CAM/LW starter (depending where Dean decides to play Jack)

CB, need a new 4th, ideally 3rd choice. Wouldn't like to roll with Hause for too many games and 3CBs is a danger.

DM, we have a need for one anyway but also Luiz will miss a few weeks, Nakamba too for international tournaments and doesn't account for injuries.

Those 3 I think we have to fill, probably in that order of priority, although DM jumps ahead of CB of we're looking to make big strides this year as a new starter would be needed there.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

I still think we lack and orchestator/General call them what you will....a midfield driver, that stops/starts attacks ....are we relying on one emerging, with another seasons development, under our belt.

I don't think we will sign one, so I am unsure if Europe is realistic.....depends is our existing players have improved from last season, which is quite feasible.

We need this Kamara kid…

But I doubt that Dean/the club agree…

9 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

What do you suggest? A new DM? Any specific players?

Certainly a problem we need to address…the highest priority…

But I also feel that our players will display better form this season, should be a lot less disruptive or chaotic…

I don't have the indepth scouting knowledge to just come up with speculation.

I will know, when I see one doing the things, I want to see on match day.

Its not just a big unit, I am looking for, its a player who also has great ball control too, who can move around opponents with confidence...can spot a through ball, to launch attacks from deep.....one who can resist clear runs through our midfield.

They are hard to find....Niddi, Bissouma, Phillips types.......they have to be out there....I have to say Kante and the likes are beyond us at present.

I have a sneaky feeling Nakamba, may improve, his interception/tackling stats are up there with the best.....its his launching attacks work is a bit iffy.

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I think we need 3 minimum.

CAM/LW starter (depending where Dean decides to play Jack)

CB, need a new 4th, ideally 3rd choice. Wouldn't like to roll with Hause for too many games and 3CBs is a danger.

DM, we have a need for one anyway but also Luiz will miss a few weeks, Nakamba too for international tournaments and doesn't account for injuries.

Those 3 I think we have to fill, probably in that order of priority, although DM jumps ahead of CB of we're looking to make big strides this year as a new starter would be needed there.

Awesome Celebration GIF by Slanted Studios

41 minutes ago, TRO said:

are we all of the opinion, that more signings for the first squad, will arrive?

I am unsure.

I think we go big on an AM (whether central or wide) and biggish on a DM, then go for a reasonably priced CB prospect and a cheap or free experienced 3rd keeper.

• Like 2

Just now, TRO said:

I don't have the indepth scouting knowledge to just come up with speculation.

I will know, when I see one doing the things, I want to see on match day.

Its not just a big unit, I am looking for, its a player who also has great ball control too, who can move around opponents with confidence...can spot a through ball, to launch attacks from deep.....one who can resist clear runs through our midfield.

They are hard to find....Niddi, Bissouma, Phillips types.......they have to be out there....I have to say Kante and the likes are beyond us at present.

I have a sneaky feeling Nakamba, may improve, his interception/tackling stats are up there with the best.....its his launching attacks work is a bit iffy.

I’m completely on board…

Would be delighted if Nakamba can prove himself capable but I just can’t see it… would love to be surprised…

2 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

No TRO, you are a pillar of wisdom and I am but a speck of dirt in your presence…

you have more confidence in me, than me...but thanks.

I am 70, but the secret is learning from other folk.

Just now, the_eristic said:

I think we go big on an AM (whether central or wide) and biggish on a DM, then go for a reasonably priced CB prospect and a cheap or free experienced 3rd keeper.

I Hope Please GIF

Just now, TRO said:

you have more confidence in me, than me...but thanks.

I am 70, but the secret is learning from other folk.

You’re a wise and respectable fellow…

I believe in respecting your elders and learning from them… valuable knowledge and experience…

We need a leader in the DM position. It’s our weakest area by quite a distance. McGinn, Nakamba and Luiz are all good players, but I wouldn’t say any of them are natural leaders who will control games from there.

Obviously easier said than done signing someone like that, but if we’re willing to spend £35m on Smith Rowe I trust that we can do it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I’m completely on board…

Would be delighted if Nakamba can prove himself capable but I just can’t see it… would love to be surprised…

He seemed to show improvement towards the end of last season...it depends if that improvement can continue and where it ends.....shaky might work on him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

You’re a wise and respectable fellow…

I believe in respecting your elders and learning from them… valuable knowledge and experience…

stop it....I like it.😀

most things in football have been done before, its a mature sport.

Its trends, that have us believe its new.

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I’m completely on board…

I do think Nakamba can be the answer. He’s barely had a run of games since joining us to really get his flow but has all the attributes to be an Ndidi type.

7 minutes ago, TRO said:

stop it....I like it.😀

most things in football have been done before, its a mature sport.

Its trends, that have us believe its new.

I’m done 🤣

We all have our faults, I remember being quite annoyed by your defence of Bruce at times 🤣

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

He seemed to show improvement towards the end of last season...it depends if that improvement can continue and where it ends.....shaky might work on him.

He’s great at interceptions and blocks, pressures…

But he is not dominant nor does he possess anywhere near enough quality or composure on the ball. He can’t progress the play…

Maybe he could demonstrate those abilities with more games but I just can’t see it…

He appears small and lightweight but he goes about his work admirably, I’ve seen him outmuscled and overpowered too often though…

I’ve said it before but he’s the kind of player that befits a team that is usually under the kosh or under consistent pressure…to get the tackles in and disrupt play. I’ve always had a dislike for teams that invite constant pressure though, you end up conceding eventually anyway so what is the point? It doesn’t seem worthwhile unless you’re severely out matched or outclassed, in which case you don’t have much choice…

I don’t want us to be that kind of side though, I want us to be able to dominate games, control possession and carve out opportunities… to go toe to toe with teams…

We need a screen for that defence to reduce the pressure on us, a calming and dominant presence…who can also win it in the air too, that would be a nice bonus.

I just think Boubacar Kamara fits the bill so well and he is available… he can join his friend Sanson here… can play at CB too…