Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

53 minutes ago, useless said:

People rubbishing Ben White reminds me of fans of other clubs that rubbished us when we signed the likes of Watkins, Mings, Cash and so on, he's a very good player was one of the best in the championship with Leeds, which is why they offered £25m plus for him last summer even though he had no Premier League experience, and he's since had a season in the premier leauge and done very well, earning himself a call up to the England squad.

He's had a similar trajectory to the likes of Konsa, Mings and Watkins, we're lucky that we don't have to sell them but if we had to and the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea were trying to buy them we'd want a similar amount of money, probably more in Watkins case.

Besides we're looking to sign a third choice centre-back, so Ben White's transfer fee has little relevance to us, even if we sign a defender with experience of playing in the UK, there are plenty that we could get as a back up option that wouldn't cost anywhere near what it would cost to buy Ben White.

It isn't about the player it's about his fee and what you can get elsewhere for a lot cheaper.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bobzy said:

I find it interesting that, after our manager states we will be looking for players with Premier League experience, the continued suggestions are always foreign-based wonderkids etc. 

Not quite true, there's a slight difference, we aren't bringing in a 21 year old english wonderkid because the value simply isn't there

You could make an argument that we've put our academy scouting in to overdrive though 

Louie Barry for example, we have signed home grown wonderkids, we also signed the England U16 captain this summer 

I think we're looking for talent everywhere, the PL thing was overstated 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I think Dwight McNeil is a great throwback old school style winger… But IMO he is never going to live up to his price tag and we can find such better value elsewhere as you’ve said. It seems to be working great between Smith & lange’s team at present and long may that continue. Big issues will arise if/when that  relationship falters. 

Agreed, 60m odd would be such a waste on such a player when you could actually sign a top class performer at that sort of price…

The whispers account is apparently XIa, can't see what he's said in that tweet, but if he's linking us to a Southampton player I wouldn't be surprised if it's Max Alleyne, highly rated young left back that apparently a lot of the top academies are trying to sign.

Left back being a position where I think we might strengthen our academy team, which is why I've also mentioned Thierry Small and Lino Sousa as possiblities because of the Albion connection.

Edited by useless

48 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I wouldn’t sell Konsa… the question is not on selling players but valuations. Clubs can demand whatever they want for their most valued players but thats because they do not want to and needn’t sell unless crazy offers come in… 

It doesn’t justify the transfer values of players such as White…

Does it make sense for Arsenal, not a big or successful club in financial turmoil, to spend £50m on him?

I can understand Varane being valued or bought for £50m but Ben White? Why not look elsewhere and get better value?

Many of the best defenders in this league didn’t cost massive fees and is in Ben White on their level, yet?

Perfect example. Varane twice the player white is, 50 million. Obviously the wages are more but you can see the relative value out there. 

5 minutes ago, useless said:

The whispers account is apparently XIa, can't see what he's said in that tweet, but if he's linking us to a Southampton player I wouldn't be surprised if it's Max Alleyne, highly rated young left back that apparently a lot of the top academies are trying to sign.

It would all be in symbols if it was xia

5 minutes ago, useless said:

The whispers account is apparently XIa,

Unless the posts are a juvenile form of hieroglyphics then we can probably discount that particular theory. 

4 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Perfect example. Varane twice the player white is, 50 million. Obviously the wages are more but you can see the relative value out there. 

That may be the case but he is 28 and has a year left on his deal, it could be argued he isn’t worth 50m either.

5 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Yeah that’s the problems with lange’s tight ship … bit selfish really if you think about it …

I know right, why can't these billionaires just throw millions on just anyone to give me a few hours of amusement ;)

• Haha 1

It's even gone quiet on Iroegbunam, in trying to find out if the U18s had been invovled in a friendly saw a player in the Villa training kit at Bodymoor Heath on instagram yesterday that I didn't recognize as one of our current players, was wondering if that was him, if not then maybe a trialist.