Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

46 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

If we want another striker who can play in the same vein as Watkins, I am not sure that Abraham is the right player. He does not press and harass from the front the way Watkins does. That's why this makes little sense to me (ignoring the cost). Yes of course he has lots of other good qualities but I am not sure those match with the way we have played the past season.

I remember in the championship Tammy was everywhere off the ball. He was often tracking back and supporting the defence, as well as pressing up front. If you are worried he won't defend like Watkins then you needn't. 

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Not a system Smith would ever play though.

So?  That's not what I said...  I was responding to someone criticizing the fact that "nobody plays 2 strikers anymore" so anyone who suggests that we buy another striker is out of touch.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

You cant say factually the rumours arent true.  You are just guessing like the rest of us so you are being disingenuous in that comment. 

Wilson has played 254 out of 257 as a striker, so dont try and fit moving position into your narrative because it isnt true and unknown about playing our wide.  You are just asserting that because he has pace.  Wilson is a striker, end of! 

Wilson is 29 years old, no resell value and hasnt played at the top end of the table.  Tammy has played at the top end of the table, load of experience and only 23 years old so has plenty of resell value if he didnt work out here in a couple of years time thus has a value of 40m. 

Wilson offers something different from Watkins and was quite cheap.

I also didn't say he should play out wide just that he can (or at least that I think he can due to his pace, skill and his ability to create for others). But again that doesn't really matter he offers something completely different upfront to Watkins which is why it would have made sense for him as a relatively cheap backup striker. 

Tammy is a player who can score goals and that's it. That's all he does. I wouldn't spend close to 40 mil on that. If he was 15-20 mil I would consider purchasing him. But he is so expensive because he plays for Chelsea. No chance we purchase him. Tammy is just categorically worse at everything except for positioning than Watkins. I don't see why anyone would not only want him but want to break our record fee for him.

Just sign a LW who can play upfront. 

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I also didn't say he should play out wide just that he can (or at least that I think he can due to his pace, skill and his ability to create for others). But again that doesn't really matter he offers something completely different upfront to Watkins which is why it would have made sense for him as a relatively cheap backup striker. 

Tammy is a player who can score goals and that's it. That's all he does. I wouldn't spend close to 40 mil on that. If he was 15-20 mil I would consider purchasing him. But he is so expensive because he plays for Chelsea. No chance we purchase him. Tammy is just categorically worse at everything except for positioning than Watkins. I don't see why anyone would not only want him but want to break our record fee for him.

a striker scoring goals, how terrible

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Ok, I disagree with everything you’ve said.

Saying we can’t guarantee Tammy starting and then saying he should move elsewhere, well what team can he just sign for and expect to be starting every game? This is the PL competition is fierce at most clubs. He would get plenty of game time here whether starting, coming of the bench, covering a dodgy red against Utd, covering injuries and cup games. He is frustrated at Chelsea because he is being frozen out and not being given a chance to prove himself. 

We also need to be able to change things up from the bench. How many games last season did a sub make a positive impact to the result? I can only remember the baggies and Fulham games. Having the ability to bring either of Tammy or Ollie off the bench when we are drawing or losing would be much better than the options we have now. That could be the difference of making Europe or not.

Also this Tammy doesn’t press, he does admittedly not as well or as persistently as Ollie.

Tammy would be a good alternative to Ollie in the squad and much better than Wes or Davis. We wouldn’t lose the goal threat that we do when we have Wes or Davis playing.

imo Tammy would be a great signing, maybe we could get him on loan with option to buy? But either way a striker should be high up on the priority list this window whether that be Tammy or someone else like edouard.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

You can, because to me they are more forwards than AEG and Traore are.

You don't give out positions based on goal involvements stats. Otherwise Hourihane would be one and also a few goalkeepers.

Que???

If Traore and AEG aren’t forwards what are they? 🧐

1 hour ago, Philosopher said:

It's like Wilson's salary. I found reports of 100k, 77k, and 46k. F know which one is true. 46k is less that what he was on at Bournemouth apparently, so that would be surprising. Often clubs offer Big signing on fees and performance bonus' to compensate for a lower salary. So working out what players are actually earning is very difficult.

Wilson also has an option in his contract that gives him an automatic extension. No other team gives him that 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I never heard that about Wilson's salary that we pulled out because of that, he only earns £46k per week at Newcastle, which is within our budget.  All i heard was he thought Newcastle was a better placed to progress further up the league than us especially as we just avoided relegation.  Look how that turned out for him at Newcastle 😂  cant see it was wages though mate

It may have been wages plus length of contract. Still I wasn’t bothered when he didn’t join us. I bet he wishes he had now. 😀

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

Que???

If Traore and AEG aren’t forwards what are they? 🧐

Wide options in the three behind the striker.

I do think El Ghazi would actually do o.k if we ever played him at false 9 as long as we didn't just boot the ball up to him all game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t like him no. I actually think a fit Trezeguet offers the team as much, if not more. 

Just my opinion though, I know a lot of people on here love his silky skills (even though he loses the ball loads and is weak as piss). 

SHOTS FIRED.

Steve Coogan This Time GIF by Baby Cow

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don’t think it’s likely, but if we could somehow get Tammy in on loan, with a view to signing him, then there aren’t too many objections. We can see if signing him would actually “work for us” in the future and whether he would fit in. Plus, it would give him more exposure and allow him to put himself “in the shop window” if it doesn’t quite work out. It should also raise his value for other teams (I would assume we would be intelligent enough to have a pre arranged fee in such a deal or agreement).

I can’t see Chelsea going for that though. I think a permanent move to Spurs (when they sell Kane) or West Ham is more likely & realistic. They’ve spent so much money and I’m sure they would want to raise some funds where they can.

I don’t want us to unsettle or stifle Ollie, he is an excellent CF for us and an exceptional player. He’s been a superb signing. He doesn’t deserve to be displaced and it would disrupt us, he has earned the right to be our no. 1 CF for the foreseeable future and there are no doubts about his drive, determination and workrate.

We can’t prepare for every possibility or eventuality. Any player can get injured but you can’t cover for that and spend big money just for that unless you’re a top 4, if not top 2 team. It’s not so common an event.

We might as well say let’s sign a £20m+ GK in case Martinez gets injured. 

That’s not going to happen.

With Tammy, it’s mostly the cost that is the issue. Then there is the demand for first team football. Personally, I wouldn’t want us to spend the bulk of our budget on him. Again, there are so many options out there and more versatile players that could offer us more imo. Much better value.

I don’t understand the fascination over him, there are so many good players out there - why restrict our sights to him?

No one is objecting to strengthening the squad and added competition but we should spend wisely, we can only spend so much and we also have a wage budget to manage - we can’t spend as lavishly as the top 4 due to restrictions such as FFP.

• Like 1