Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

14 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I honestly don’t think we need to splash out on another striker… Watkins is the main man, and we have Wesley as back up. Spending millions on another is silly at this stage as they will be benched most of the time! 

You’re assuming Wes can get back to this level.  We don’t know either way yet and he’s only had 16 minutes first team game time since he came back.  Most of that in the fifth game before the end of the season against Man U and only 2 minutes following that game in the final four games.  Wes might be great or maybe not, obviously the coaching staff will but we can’t assume anything about him next season yet.

26 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Isn’t he predominantly a winger though? 

Seemingly not. He often starts on the right, but according to the River Plate supporters I’ve spoken up, and famed South American correspondent Tim Vickery, his ideal position is as a second striker. You can see this in his videos too.

One River fan described him as Thomas Muller. Vickery likened him to Gary Shaw.

• Like 2

I don't have anything us signing Tammy Abraham potentially. I just think we can buy better for half the price of the alleged £40m. Or for £40m we can get someone like Belloti (his release clause used to be around £60m but pandemic maths).

If not him there the likes of Berisha and Koita from RB Salzburg who will cost much less than the £40m we'd spend on Tammy.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I like Tammy, but he's not what we need. It's claret and blue tinted glasses in the same way we need a Centre Back and I guarantee we will have Tuanzebe mentioned a few times this summer

Agree with you about Tammy. I just don’t think he is top quality enough to justify the fee, would have no resale value IMO and domino effect on wages. We could get both Adam Hložek, and Adam Armstrong for around £30mill. Just sayin… 

Axel is fast wasting his career and we shouldn’t go near him. We’ve moved on and he hasn’t.

It’s rare to say but I’d take either CB from a RELEGATED Fulham of last season in either Tosin or Andersen. Also. With Tosin at £10mill is kinda a no brainer deal If, he continues to develop and matures along the path of Konsa who, In a season or two if a team comes in with hard £££££ for we have a ready made replacement and made a huge profit to reinvest. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, thabucks said:

We could get both Adam Hložek, and Adam Armstrong for around £30mill. Just sayin… 

Blackburn were requesting minimum of 30m in the winter transfer window for Armstrong…

8 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Blackburn were requesting minimum of 30m in the winter transfer window for Armstrong…

Reportedly only £8mill now … 

Blackburn would prefer to keep hold of Armstrong but with just a year left on his contract this summer also represents one of the final chances to secure a fee for the 24-year-old.

Due to his contract status they are willing to cash in on Armstrong, who has also been linked with West Ham, for a fee of around £8m.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9688497/Norwich-Southampton-battle-sign-Blackburn-star-Adam-Armstrong.htm

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, thabucks said:

Read somewhere they would now accept    £16mill with Southampton lurking. 

Bit of a drop off, I saw an interview where they said at least 25m, haven’t heard 16m yet.  I don’t think he’s anywhere near Tammy’s level even for the price difference.  Just feels like getting what you pay for there…I think we are well past those kind of players that I put in the category of the Hogans of the world.  

So

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Bit of a drop off, I saw an interview where they said at least 25m, haven’t heard 16m yet.  I don’t think he’s anywhere near Tammy’s level even for the price difference.  Just feels like getting what you pay for there…I think we are well past those kind of players that I put in the category of the Hogans of the world.  

Should’ve made clear in my in my initial post that I was using those two players as examples only really. I wasn’t necessarily advocating signing either, they were two names that cropped to mind to illustrate who we could sign instead of Tammy to improve our squad. Armstrong could keep Watkins on his toes and step in for a season or two until Hlozek and Barry are ready to challenge Watkins… No brainer for £10mill surely as a back up solution with Wesley, and hopefully Alvarez in that mix… 

Just saying from a value POV Tosin and Armstrong for just over £20 million could be v.shrewd move along with Young on a free. Leaving a nice chunk of pie left to play with for ESR, JWP, Olise and … 

1 hour ago, Tayls said:

Isn’t he predominantly a winger though? 

I can’t pretend the I know a lot about him, but from what I read and see in his highlights (and his shirt number), all suggests he can fill the striker position. Watkins himself used to play as a winger. As long as he have the attributes then he can be. We need a mobile forward for our system, so I think he’s that player. Might not be the most successful one but I don’t think we’d be able to attract a proper striker that know he’s going to be a backup to Watkins. I also think we’re one season behind to think we can get an upgrade on Watkins, still a lot to do, and strikers are always the most expensive ones.

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

I don't have anything us signing Tammy Abraham potentially. I just think we can buy better for half the price of the alleged £40m. Or for £40m we can get someone like Belloti (his release clause used to be around £60m but pandemic maths).

If not him there the likes of Berisha and Koita from RB Salzburg who will cost much less than the £40m we'd spend on Tammy.

I do think Tammy is worth that sort of price bracket..... just not to us this summer.

I think we would be interested in Tammy but that price is well over what we'd pay for him, and I am not sure he'd come given we couldn't guarantee him a set number of starts. I can see Tammy ending up at West Ham or Palace to be honest.

I know the club prefers premier league experience but I think in some positions we can afford to bed in players from other leagues and I think Striker is one of them.

From that point of view I like the look of Breel Embolo. I know he's not a prolific goal scorer but he seems to do all the things that Ollie does and has strength and express pace.

28 minutes ago, Ponky said:

I think we would be interested in Tammy but that price is well over what we'd pay for him, and I am not sure he'd come given we couldn't guarantee him a set number of starts. I can see Tammy ending up at West Ham or Palace to be honest.

I know the club prefers premier league experience but I think in some positions we can afford to bed in players from other leagues and I think Striker is one of them.

From that point of view I like the look of Breel Embolo. I know he's not a prolific goal scorer but he seems to do all the things that Ollie does and has strength and express pace.

A striker that doesn’t score a good amount of goals isn’t of much use.

It is his primary role in a team.

4 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

I wouldn't mind a forward in the mould of* any of Son, Mane, Salah, Sterling, Bale, Aubameyang, Werner, Rashford, Martial, Greenwood.

I'm not against a forward coming in, I'm against spending £40m on Lanky Darren Bent when he doesn't slot into any reasonable XI we play. Competition is all well and good but we have much bigger gaps to spend £40m on.

I like Tammy, but he's not what we need. It's claret and blue tinted glasses in the same way we need a Centre Back and I guarantee we will have Tuanzebe mentioned a few times this summer. (The clicks it will generate will also mean we inevitably get linked by The Mirror too, the same with Tammy)

* Don't comment on the names, it's more a showing of how these names can all play wide, not as a winger but as an inside forward. They *can* play up top if needed but would be also adept at playing wide and strengthen our team.

I prefer wide forwards rather than these players who are inside forwards to be honest, they are more involved in play and you can control games more.

Buying the right ones gives you more than enough goals too.

We pay £30 m for Championship striker unproven at PL, but £40 m for a proven 23 yo PL striker with Champions League experience is too expensive?

The mind boggles…

• Like 4

Assuming Buendia starts in the number 10 position in front of McGinn and Luiz, our current second best XI is:

Steer

Guilbert Hause EMPTY Young

Nakamba Ramsey

AEG Sanson Hourihane

Wesley

Lots of work to be done, especially at centre-half and central midfield. 

12 minutes ago, Enda said:

Assuming Buendia starts in the number 10 position in front of McGinn and Luiz, our current second best XI is:

Steer

Guilbert Hause EMPTY Young

Nakamba Ramsey

AEG Sanson Hourihane

Wesley

Lots of work to be done, especially at centre-half and central midfield. 

You could do second XI for a lot of teams and they look as bad or worse including teams that finished above us

22 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

We pay £30 m for Championship striker unproven at PL, but £40 m for a proven 23 yo PL striker with Champions League experience is too expensive?

The mind boggles…

Some of best players in PL atm were big money signings from Championship unproven in PL and 40m for striker when we play 4231 and Ollie plays every minute if fit is too expensive

30 minutes ago, QldVilla said:

The mind boggles…

if we didn't have Ollie, I don't think many of us would have as big concerns with buying Tammy for that. But we already have him, and he played in 37/38 games for us last year. I just don't see the need to spend that amount of money on a backup striker (when we've played with mostly 1 up top) while we have FFP enacted.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Some of best players in PL atm were big money signings from Championship unproven in PL and 40m for striker when we play 4231 and Ollie plays every minute if fit is too expensive

In your opinion.