Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 hour ago, MentalM said:

I am curious to the rumoured Grealish move, will it halt the recruitment until its solved with a new contract? Many of our targets are probably being convinced by Grealish staying and would now await the situation.

Grealish isn't going anywhere, it's business as usual. Man City need a striker, that will cost. So they can't afford him. So where will he go? Man U are buying Sancho (finally), Chelsea have loads of creative players and probably need to sell to buy, they have also been chasing Rice for good knows how long. 

This Grealish to anywhere is just fan and paper talk simply because he is so good and isn't at a chumps league team.

1 minute ago, sne said:

So moving forward as a club our only options are to sign Tammy Abraham or to not sign anyone else at all?

Loads of options, I'm waiting for something to come from left field that no one is expecting. The Alvarez thing is very left field so I think it may have legs. But It could just be agents trying to get Ajax to pay more for him.

Ward Prowse is who I have my heart set on.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Grealish isn't going anywhere, it's business as usual. Man City need a striker, that will cost. So they can't afford him. So where will he go? Man U are buying Sancho (finally), Chelsea have loads of creative players and probably need to sell to buy, they have also been chasing Rice for good knows how long. 

This Grealish to anywhere is just fan and paper talk simply because he is so good and isn't at a chumps league team.

I would disagree on that.

For i.e Smith-Rowe to come (even as unlikely that is) if his team reads rumours and the buzz about Grealish leaving for City, he would probably await that to be cleared up before signing for us. At the moment, with Grealish we are a contender for Europe, without we are probably a mid table in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Ward Prowse is who I have my heart set on.

No different situation than Grealish leaving us for City and without intending to be repetitive for the nth time I think that's one of the weakest links to us in reality this window

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Barely any team in football let alone any sport buys top level backup in case of injuries. Spurs have never covered Kane getting injured. Silly exceptions like Man City Chelsea, and even Manure who've spent over a billion in transfer fees in a decade aren't relevant to us. We're not at that level yet, don't have Europe, and FFP is a factor

Depends on what your interpretation of top level is? We spent £22m on Wesley and £30 on Watkins, there was a reason behind Watkins signing obviously, but you can’t completely rule out the club going again with Abraham possibly being available, with the club maybe already making a decision on Wesley.

IMO you need two very good strikers to compete for that starters position, if your going to be a top 6 club.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Barely any team in football let alone any sport buys top level backup in case of injuries. Spurs have never covered Kane getting injured. Silly exceptions like Man City Chelsea, and even Manure who've spent over a billion in transfer fees in a decade aren't relevant to us.

Oh so you don’t agree, great! All these clubs have far greater depth in the squad than we do.  Spurs alone had attackers Kane, Son, Vinicius, Bale, Moura, Bergwijn and Lamela in the advanced positions.  You can argue all want around positions but those were their squad attacking line up.  So your “barely any team” is bogus.  You can do the same for other teams…Arsenal..Aubameyang, Lacazette, Nkeitah just in the centre forward position alone they can play.

20 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We're not at that level yet, don't have Europe

How do you aim for Europe if you don’t have the tools to get there.  Hoping to overachieve with a small squad is likely to fail.  

You want to get European qualification and then buy players to be a European qualification team.  I want to buy a European qualification level team to get a European place.

We have different strategies and both think we are right.  It’s not up to us but I think the club are going my direction than yours.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, MentalM said:

For i.e Smith-Rowe to come (even as unlikely that is) if his team reads rumours and the buzz about Grealish leaving for City, he would probably await that to be cleared up before signing for us. At the moment, with Grealish we are a contender for Europe, without we are probably a mid table in my opinion.

It will never clear up until the window closes or Jack signs a new contract. Even if the club made a public statement it would still be the same. Jack is world class, playing for a team outside of European competition, so everyone wants to sell him apart from Villa fans. The world we live in doesn't value loyalty over money, or so called success (which is usually measured in coin), so Jack shouldn't be at Villa. 

All the club can do is assure the players we want to sign. And encourage them to ignore the paper talk.

27 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Kane, Son, Vinicius, Bale, Moura, Bergwijn

Vinicius looks garbage. Kane and Son is our Watkins and Grealish. Bale turns up when he feels like it much like Barkley. Moura has been average for several seasons so him and Bergwijn you can say are like Traore and AEG for us. I'd be shocked before looking it up if Moura and Bergwijn had more combined goal contributions than Traore and AEG in PL last season

Nketiah is garbage. Do you follow these players from other teams you throw out to try and make out the several of our players that are better aren't good enough?

Edited by Kiwivillan

37 minutes ago, MentalM said:

Agreed. The original news from Argentina on Alvarez said he’d asked for guarantees that Jack and both Emi’s would be around next season. ESR allegedly idolises JG.

If he’s going to sign a new contract then that needs sorting this coming week. This saga has totally sapped my enthusiasm for the Euros now. 

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Vinicius looks garbage. Kane and Son is our Watkins and Grealish. Bale turns up when he feels like it much like Barkley. Moura has been average for several seasons so him and Bergwijn you can say are like Traore and AEG for us. I'd be shocked before looking it up if Moura and Bergwijn had more combined goal contributions than Traore and AEG in PL last season

Ok sure 🙄

29 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

No different situation than Grealish leaving us for City and without intending to be repetitive for the nth time I think that's one of the weakest links to us in reality this window

It's a little different. JWP plays for a selling club. Jack does not. JWP is a Portsmouth fan, not a fan of his club. Sure he has affection for Southampton, but it's not the same as Jack.

We can afford him, the only issue with cost is how it affects the rest of any planned recruitment. 

He plays in a position we have a need for and has set piece quality we really need.

Granted the links are very tenuous, and i am sceptical. I don’t believe we have made any serious moves. He is just a player I'd really like us to sign, who if we made him a top priority I believe we could get in.

A possible deal for Abraham makes poor sense financially IMO… He will never be worth and sold for more than we would need to pay for him for and his value will only dwindle as I cannot se him developing into an elite level £50/£60mill player. 

His wages would disrupt the structure as he will want over £100k PW so Watkins on £75k will be due a £50k rise for parity. Then McGinn & Mings will be looking at these deals thinking Ok I want some of that and there’s another £50k plus per week added to the wage bill. Luiz needs a new contract so all of a sudden his demands are now higher as why shouldn’t he earn similar to McGinn. Before you know it we’ve could easily added £6/7 million say to the wage bill to bring existing contracts in line, that’s before we’ve added Tammy’s £6mill PA wage packet into the equation. So signing Tammy for £40mill is only part of the story and the financial impact will be massive across the squad, one I don’t believe is worth it in this situation. We will need to raise the bar in terms of wages incrementally and online with our growth and for the right player(s) 

• Like 2

Yes, there’re too many nostalgia junkies who are keen for us to sign past players without considering whether it would actually benefit us or not. It’s a very limited view… there are so many excellent players and prospects out there that could be much better and become more iconic than those names… we need to stop living in the past, look forwards and have a wider perspective on things.

If we want to be a genuinely ambitious club and fanbase, we need to shed that kind of thinking and target the right players that can offer us the most and progress us in the best way, and value is a key component of that too.

• Like 1

I’m starting think some fans on here don’t want to progress.  I’m sure I’m going to be told they are being realistic and I’m not but I’m not asking to spend 200m, I seem to be at the same levels as most on here but all I keep hearing is let’s by back up this and that.  

Our best team ended up 11th with only really Jack out for a third of the season.  I know we’ve brought Young but really as a first XI player we’ve only brought Buendia.  Our team needs a lot more quality to be a European team not just back ups but squad depth and depth has to be alternatives not back ups.

Thank god our owners ‘seem’ to have more ambition than some on here.

• Like 2