Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

10 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I don’t think it’s likely, but if we could somehow get Tammy in on loan, with a view to signing him, then there aren’t too many objections. We can see if signing him would actually “work for us” in the future and whether he would fit in. Plus, it would give him more exposure and allow him to put himself “in the shop window” if it doesn’t quite work out. It should also raise his value for other teams (I would assume we would be intelligent enough to have a pre arranged fee in such a deal or agreement).

I can’t see Chelsea going for that though. I think a permanent move to Spurs (when they sell Kane) or West Ham is more likely & realistic. They’ve spent so much money and I’m sure they would want to raise some funds where they can.

I don’t want us to unsettle or stifle Ollie, he is an excellent CF for us and an exceptional player. He’s been a superb signing. He doesn’t deserve to be displaced and it would disrupt us, he has earned the right to be our no. 1 CF for the foreseeable future and there are no doubts about his drive, determination and workrate.

We can’t prepare for every possibility or eventuality. Any player can get injured but you can’t cover for that and spend big money just for that unless you’re a top 4, if not top 2 team. It’s not so common an event.

We might as well say let’s sign a £20m+ GK in case Martinez gets injured. 

That’s not going to happen.

With Tammy, it’s mostly the cost that is the issue. Then there is the demand for first team football. Personally, I wouldn’t want us to spend the bulk of our budget on him. Again, there are so many options out there and more versatile players that could offer us more imo. Much better value.

I don’t understand the fascination over him, there are so many good players out there - why restrict our sights to him?

No one is objecting to strengthening the squad and added competition but we should spend wisely, we can only spend so much and we also have a wage budget to manage - we can’t spend as lavishly as the top 4 due to restrictions such as FFP.

Jas10, if the opportunity arises to sign someone better than Watkins, we’d be foolish to turn it down. I’d say that Watkins and Abraham are roughly the same level of player but Watkins works harder off the ball 

• Like 1

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

Screwin hell is Tammy the only striker on the planet? 

Far from it, there is a lot of talent out there, we just need to get the scouts on the job. I’m sure Smith has the wheels in motion but I’d be ecstatic if we signed Abraham or anyone 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Jas10, if the opportunity arises to sign someone better than Watkins, we’d be foolish to turn it down. I’d say that Watkins and Abraham are roughly the same level of player but Watkins works harder off the ball 

Let’s strengthen the weaker areas of the team, the more pressing concerns… our midfield needs improving as does our ball retention.

Watkins is excellent and is going to get even better.

Tammy is not as good as Ollie and doesn’t offer as much, Ollie has much more to his game. Tammy does not represent value for money either imo.

It would be difficult for us to get better than Ollie as it would cost a huge fee and would be difficult to lure such a player here. The best approach is to sign a young player with huge potential that we can develop and who could eventually succeed him (and provide cover in the short term) such as Alvarez, just one example.

Also, I believe that Dean has a certain degree of loyalty to his better players and wouldn’t want to stifle their progression or risk upsetting them. I have no qualms with that.

We have to remember that we don’t have unlimited funds, an unlimited wage budget and that we are restricted by FFP.

We are not a top 4 team, we go step by step and improve every season.

We need to be sensible and intelligent in our recruitment which is why we have employed and invested in a  scouting team - why do that if we are just going to spend big on obvious targets? It’s not clever or sustainable.

Anyway, why spend big on strikers when the issue we have is retaining possession and creating chances (especially when Jack is unavailable)? What’s the point of signing strikers if you can’t give them the service?

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Let’s strengthen the weaker areas of the team, the more pressing concerns… our midfield needs improving as does our ball retention.

Watkins is excellent and is going to get even better.

Tammy is not as good as Ollie and doesn’t offer as much, Ollie has much more to his game. Tammy does not represent value for money either imo.

It would be difficult for us to get better than Ollie as it would cost a huge fee and would be difficult to lure such a player here. The best approach is to sign a young player with huge potential that we can develop and who could eventually succeed him (and provide cover in the short term) such as Alvarez, just one example.

We have to remember that we don’t have unlimited funds, an unlimited wage budget and that we are restricted by FFP.

We are not a top 4 team, we go step by step and improve every season.

We need to be sensible and intelligent in our recruitment which is why we have employed and invested in a  scouting team - why do that if we are just going to spend big on obvious targets? It’s not clever or sustainable.

Anyway, why spend big on strikers when the issue we have is retaining possession and creating chances (especially when Jack is unavailable)? What’s the point of signing strikers if you can’t give them the service?

I think Abraham is vastly underrated by press, media and fans in general. For me, he’s one of the best young strikers in Europe. He just needs a chance in the first team, Chelsea is his boyhood club, he’ll only get better in my opinion, he’s excellent and in his interviews, he comes across as humble and well spoken. In my opinion, in 5 years time, he’ll be one of the best strikers in Europe which is why we need to act now 

• Like 3
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I never heard that about Wilson's salary that we pulled out because of that, he only earns £46k per week at Newcastle, which is within our budget.  All i heard was he thought Newcastle was a better placed to progress further up the league than us especially as we just avoided relegation.  Look how that turned out for him at Newcastle 😂  cant see it was wages though mate

Wilson is a decent player, he showed that last season. He would have been good here and it’s a shame it didn’t come off, we clearly wanted him. He went to Newcastle over us because his son loved the film “Goal”. We can’t compete with that.

• Like 1

£40m for Abraham seems about right for his age, talent and record. Given his relative youth, I think he would be a very good signing, especially if Wesley moves on. My only worry is the money going on him and not elsewhere as despite the owners deep pockets, FFP only allows so much to be spent and I would love to see JWP, ESR, Sarr or similar before, and its a toss up between Tammy and Alvarez thereafter. If we do sign him however it wont be a poor signing.

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I think Abraham is vastly underrated by press, media and fans in general. For me, he’s one of the best young strikers in Europe. He just needs a chance in the first team, Chelsea is his boyhood club, he’ll only get better in my opinion, he’s excellent and in his interviews, he comes across as humble and well spoken. In my opinion, in 5 years time, he’ll be one of the best strikers in Europe which is why we need to act now 

That’s fine and fair enough, but bears no relevance to the fact that we don’t need him and don’t need to spend so heavily on him or any other player just to cover or compete with Ollie.

I would rather we sign someone who can offer more and cover both out wide and at CF as/when required and we don’t need to spend even close to £40m. I’d rather we saved the bulk of our budget or, again, break our transfer record for a top class midfielder (DM?) and either a top class CAM or winger/WF. Let’s surround Ollie with better quality and aid Jack in providing him with better service, more chances.

I was so frustrated in watching us after Jack got injured and felt sorry for Ollie who ran around tirelessly to help us stay in games and creating chances for himself. What would’ve been the point in having Tammy at that time for example? Especially at what he would cost and the wages he would demand.

How many other strikers would, for example, chase and harry defenders so relentlessly as Ollie did against Everton and score a goal like that (dispossessing Holgate and hitting the back of the net!)? 

What a player… I’m so excited about Buendia consistently playing him on goal…

My focus is just on Villa and how best we can strengthen and progress without shooting ourselves in the foot, financially. I’m so pleased with the progression and state of the club, there is so much potential there and in our players. Team spirit, unity and dedication - it is so pleasing to see. 

Ollie is outstanding and I much prefer him to Tammy. Neither player would be happy to sit on the bench or play out wide imo. Ollie has progressed and excelled as a CF and been a fantastic signing for us. His character, determination and workrate is second to none but he also has the talent and potential to go with that. He works his socks off and still contributes to the team, even when he is not receiving the best service. He is an asset even when we are struggling in a game. I don’t think Tammy compares in that sense.

• Like 1

Just now, thunderball said:

£40m for Abraham seems about right for his age, talent and record. Given his relative youth, I think he would be a very good signing, especially if Wesley moves on. My only worry is the money going on him and not elsewhere as despite the owners deep pockets, FFP only allows so much to be spent and I would love to see JWP, ESR, Sarr or similar before, and its a toss up between Tammy and Alvarez thereafter. If we do sign him however it wont be a poor signing.

That pretty much sums it up. No one is saying Tammy is a bad player or offers nothing.

But why spend so heavily on him when we have more pressing concerns and when there is better value out there? We can only spend so much so let’s do it on the targets that would most benefit us. I don’t want us to leave ourselves short in other areas…

If we sign him, none of us are going to be upset. It just doesn’t make a lot of sense atm.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

That pretty much sums it up. No one is saying Tammy is a bad player or offers nothing.

But why spend so heavily on him when we have more pressing concerns and when there is better value out there? We can only spend so much so let’s do it on the targets that would most benefit us. I don’t want us to leave ourselves short in other areas…

If we sign him, none of us are going to be upset. It just doesn’t make a lot of sense atm.

I guess there could be a transfer plan and list of priorities but signing the players in that priority order isn't always easy or possible.

Abraham or a back up striker might be at the bottom of the list, but if the opportunity arises we have to take it. The Sanson signing was clearly not a priority at the time it happened.

I am a big Tammy fan but would fully admit it's not the priority at the moment and a signing like Alvarez makes more sense but he could be a long term target for Dean.

• Like 1

Just now, VillanousOne said:

I guess there could be a transfer plan and list of priorities but signing the players in that priority order isn't always easy or possible.

Abraham or a back up striker might be at the bottom of the list, but if the opportunity arises we have to take it. The Sanson signing was clearly not a priority at the time it happened.

I am a big Tammy fan but would fully admit it's not the priority at the moment and a signing like Alvarez makes more sense but he could be a long term target for Dean.

I suppose all that really needs to be said is if Dean wants or signs any player, it’s with a clear, thought out plan in mind and we will back it. He’s more than earned our trust imo.

Anyone who comes in will be backed and supported, I believe we (the club and management) know exactly what we are doing.

But for the sake of sharing opinions, debate and commenting on speculation (which is all it is in reality), after taking several factors into account, I’m just not onboard with signing Tammy for now.

27 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Think it's safe to say if that happens we won't be short on money for other purchases.

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

Think it's safe to say if that happens we won't be short on money for other purchases.

I hope you’re right but it would mean we’ve already spent over £70m-£80m… how much more can we spend and on how many players? There is a limit…

56 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Whilst I agree striker isn’t the priority, the Sanson signing has shown we aren’t scared to sign someone if a good opportunity arises. 
I’m sure we are looking at strengthening other areas as well, but if we can get a good deal for Tammy now I’m sure we will jump at the chance. 

Czech keeper Tomás Vaclik is out of contract in 3 days, wonder if he'd be willing to come here as #2 / competition if the club feel they need a veteran keeper.

Probably not as he'd likely want more football. Put himself in a nice position after his performances in the Euro's.

Tammy would be great if we get him on loan w/option to purchase. Gives him a year with us to figure out if he works in our current squad and would be a good signing. In the era of FFP though, I just think spending 40m on a position where the player we are buying is not a clear upgrade (and is arguably a downgrade) just makes no sense to me. 

I would actually lose a little bit of faith in the transfer team if Tammy @ 40m  is the best value striker we can find (because there sure are many others out there that wouldn't come close to that price tag). 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1