Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

11 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Typical of the club. NSWE have chosen to not allow us to progress in my view. If we were going to sign Buendia even if Grealish stayed, then that would have been £30m spent on transfers. Fine. That’s a lot of money, but it’s not going to get us up the table. I’m not convinced we would have purchased Bailey and Ings if we didn’t sell Jack. 

Thats not going big to progress, that’s holding back… I’m not saying we needed to spend £200m on new signings, but I did expect us to recruit in a position we desperately needed to fill, which is CM (most probably a defensive minded player). Buying two players to cover two of Jacks skill areas isn’t a proper strategy. It has left us severely unbalanced. 

It’s quite evident really and I’m amazed at the people who are saying this has been a successful window. It hasn’t. 

The owners have done a fantastic job up to now but bringing in a surplus this summer is a bit odd given there's been lots of talk of progression.

We spent £140m first summer up, and around £90m last summer. If Grealish stayed this summer I genuinely think Buendia was the only big signing we're making.

Whether it's FFP, I don't know, but you're right it does appear to be holding back somewhat when others around us are spending heavily. 

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Sure, and I think we would have destroyed them with our best players on the pitch, settled and “on song”…

Everyone should wait and see how we play with our best side before making huge assumptions and predictions…

Good point. We have not yet seen our new first team actually play a game of football. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Typical of the club. NSWE have chosen to not allow us to progress in my view. If we were going to sign Buendia even if Grealish stayed, then that would have been £30m spent on transfers. Fine. That’s a lot of money, but it’s not going to get us up the table. I’m not convinced we would have purchased Bailey and Ings if we didn’t sell Jack. 

Thats not going big to progress, that’s holding back… I’m not saying we needed to spend £200m on new signings, but I did expect us to recruit in a position we desperately needed to fill, which is CM (most probably a defensive minded player). Buying two players to cover two of Jacks skill areas isn’t a proper strategy. It has left us severely unbalanced. 

It’s quite evident really and I’m amazed at the people who are saying this has been a successful window. It hasn’t. 

You might not want to believe it but Villa knew well before the Euro's that Jack was not staying. The players you mention were bought with that in mind. Smith has even said as much. As for a CDM it has been pretty obvious for years now that Smith does not set his teams up like that. We all have different ideas of how we would like to play but at the end of the day it is down to Dean himself. In his time here he has earned the right to be trusted in this respect. I'm sure the club has tried to sign players, some of which got to the media and some we have no idea about. It is pointless moaning about who we didn't sign and whether we think we are now stronger or weaker. We will soon have all our players fit and can get on with winning some games. Let's all get behind them and have a great season

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

And there are people on here who refuse to entertain the idea that the club can do any wrong and every decision that is made is the correct one. 😘

Would be a pretty pants "discussion" forum if everyone just wrote in and said what a great job the club was doing and they could do no wrong.  I don't think we'd get up to 1297 pages?!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

You think this has been a brilliant transfer window, I think this has been a dreadful window… means I’m ignorant? 

Why can't it be in the middle? Why black or white? 

Its been a perfectly fine transfer window

I believe that we improved the defence last year, we should improve the attack this year and then next year we can improve the midfield with the sounder knowledge of what our youngsters are all about 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, His Name Is Death said:

I think Edens’ success with Milwaukee Bucks has bowled people over a bit. Unfortunately, we may need more patience before Villa start reaping similar rewards. The Bucks’ successes were built over 6-7 years and arguably the PL is a tougher mountain to conquer (and we were almost in administration not so along ago).

Anyone expecting us to achieve Bucks success is delusional to the umpteen degree. We had our 'drafted' Giannis in Jack. But you simply cant match financial status of the Top 6. Bucks can spend same amount as Lakers or Knicks. We can't compete with City or Chelsea. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

The owners have done a fantastic job up to now but bringing in a surplus this summer is a bit odd given there's been lots of talk of progression.

We spent £140m first summer up, and around £90m last summer. If Grealish stayed this summer I genuinely think Buendia was the only big signing we're making.

Whether it's FFP, I don't know, but you're right it does appear to be holding back somewhat when others around us are spending heavily. 

I don't believe that it is FFP.  From what I had understood, our big spending would have had to stop at Bailey if Jack had not moved BUT Jack moving means we have booked £100m profit and FFP allows you to leverage this significantly as new fees can be amortised over the deal periods so we could, in theory, have spent significantly more than the £100m in addition IF the owners had the aspirations and cash to support this.

Just now, Tayls said:

You think this has been a brilliant transfer window, I think this has been a dreadful window… means I’m ignorant? 

You have to remember on here that if you post anything to suggest we didn’t have a good transfer window and everything this season will be absolutely f****** brilliant, you’ll be labelled a moaner and asked to stop being so negative. 

Personally, I don’t think it’s been a dreadful window, but it hasn’t been a good one like last summer. If the club have ambitions of getting into Europe then they’re in for a nasty shock. At best, I think we’ll stand still which oddly, I’m absolutely fine with. I’m also pretty confident that Smith will come under real pressure at some point this season. I’d like to think he’ll keep his job unless we’re hovering around 16th/17th at Xmas. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, striker said:

Could be in the bottom four after next set of fixtures as major weaknesses have not been strengthened.

This is a mistake by the Villa and Smith may pay for it with his job by Christmas?

I think we were likely to be there irrespective of signings, a tough sequence coming up. You have to start seasons raring to go these days, we started with a whimper and in a mess. Can’t be allowed to happen again.

On the midfield debate and that we need to sign more because we are light there.

We have 6 'central midfielders' (assuming carney is going to be trusted regularly this season)

That's the same for most other teams, including the likes of West Ham, Leicester etc

Now, theirs are better, and we need to improve ours. But that requires 1) being able to get a better player, and 2) move on the player to be replaced. Thats evidently not something thats easy for us to do at the moment, and we cant just keep adding players.

Also, to add into the defensive midfield aspect; dont overlook that we have added players who have speed, energy and pressing ability. Pressing wasnt Jack's strong suit (or Traore's), and Barkley was a slug; many of the times teams cut through us was because they easily got past those players and ended up running at McGinn/Luiz with an extra man. We now have a greater ability to defend from the front, which hopefully should help out the deeper midfielders and defence.

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Most progress of any English club since the owners joined. You tell me when it starts to go wrong mate. 

Just as I’d expect given the money theyve spent and the fact we had one of the best players in Europe playing for us. 

This season is the first time we’ll see the club go backwards IMO pal. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

But we've lost Greasy which clearly you have to take into account.

And he's been adequately replaced. If you were to ask me to find one player who would come to Villa to replace him, I couldn't come up with a better replacement than Emi Buendia if I tried. We've also added Bailey to replace his output. Overall, we're a much stronger outfit when you add Ings to the equation and the filling out of the squad with Young and Tuanzebe. We've had a smashing window.

I think what will probably happen is that we’ll get spanked for a while until things gets really bad, then we’ll end up putting Axel in there who’ll do a job, and we’ll recover to an overall ‘OK’ league position before finally **** sorting this nonsense out next summer. 

I’m very happy with our progress over the last few seasons, and I would not have anyone other than Deano and NSWE in charge, but I think collectively they will look back on the lack of Midfield recruitment this summer as a definite mistake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

If we weren't able to get a player in that we felt would improve us, fit it into the squad and buy into the project, what's the point in spending for the sake of it? 

2 hours ago, Xela said:

I think if we wanted this mythical hero of a DM we would have signed one from the seemingly endless supply of them from Ligue 1 

The clamour for this type of player has almost reached meme worthy levels on here, it's ridiculous. I'm not sure Smith has even regularly played with one in his managerial career? 

The way people talk, you'd think we have the Brothers Grimm (aka Gary and Craig Gardner) in our midfield. 

You're both on the same track here, the moaners gonna moan for sure always and we should wait for our No1 targets now. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Not even glass half empty

Too many are constantly just left with dregs 

More pant wetting on here than at an Incontinence Anonymous meeting! 

Some people get no joy whatsoever from supporting us. 

• Like 2