Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

But the aim is Europe. People are acting like we're going to be no where near because we didn't sign the CM they wanted. 

The aims and goals are exciting. But there's a difference between an aim and a minimum expectation 

Forget CM conversation for a second, I don’t think the squad is strong enough for an European place.  I think a top ten finish is our aim.  I’m still excited, especially with our new signings but we are short of an European place level squad.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

So typical of who? Not NSWE They have backed us 100%  Relegation scrap Oh dear What a load of twaddle

Typical of the club. NSWE have chosen to not allow us to progress in my view. If we were going to sign Buendia even if Grealish stayed, then that would have been £30m spent on transfers. Fine. That’s a lot of money, but it’s not going to get us up the table. I’m not convinced we would have purchased Bailey and Ings if we didn’t sell Jack. 

Thats not going big to progress, that’s holding back… I’m not saying we needed to spend £200m on new signings, but I did expect us to recruit in a position we desperately needed to fill, which is CM (most probably a defensive minded player). Buying two players to cover two of Jacks skill areas isn’t a proper strategy. It has left us severely unbalanced. 

It’s quite evident really and I’m amazed at the people who are saying this has been a successful window. It hasn’t. 

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Could be in the bottom four after next set of fixtures as major weaknesses have not been strengthened.

This is a mistake by the Villa and Smith may pay for it with his job by Christmas?

Just now, Tayls said:

Typical of the club. NSWE have chosen to not allow us to progress in my view. If we were going to sign Buendia even if Grealish stayed, then that would have been only £30m spent on transfers. I’m not convinced we would have purchased Bailey and Ings if we didn’t sell Jack. 

Thats not going big to progress, that’s holding back… I’m not saying we needed to spent £200m on new signings, but I did expect us to recruit in a position we desperately needed to fill, which is CM (most probably a defensive minded player). Buying two players to cover two of Jacks skill areas isn’t a proper strategy. It has left us severely unbalanced. 

It’s quite evident really and I’m amazed at the people who are saying this has been a successful window. It hasn’t. 

NSWE OUT?

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'd imagine that's the plan. 

Luiz sitting, Mcginn box to box with Ings dropping deep at times with Watkins on the last man or running the channels. 

Fair enough. I think we’ll get taken apart by teams with 2 in the middle but agree it’s the only way we can fit them both in the side. 

You don’t see many teams play 4-4-2 these days either. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

EXACTLY.

It's mental how you don't realise you've kind of answered your own query mate.

Say for example Jack Grealish was out injured for a 3rd of the season.

Would it be more, or less detrimental, than having 1 of the 3 new players out - leaving 2?

I appreciate what you are saying, but the discussion is about quality, not resilience. Is the squad more resilient with Jack gone? Certainly. Is it better quality? Well, I actually think it probably is, but for the sake of argument it’s not as clear cut. 

13 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

When we came up did people really think we'd have the perfect European quality squad 3 summer windows later?

We keep building the squad and can add other pieces next summer. We don't need to do everything right now. 

You really are becoming the spokes person for our club aren't you.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

Forget CM conversation for a second, I don’t think the squad is strong enough for an European place.  I think a top ten finish is our aim.  I’m still excited, especially with our new signings but we are short of an European place level squad.

I agree but it's still the aim. We've got some very talented players at this club. 

Let's see what they do when we actually can put them all on the pitch.

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

Typical of the club. NSWE have chosen to not allow us to progress in my view. If we were going to sign Buendia even if Grealish stayed, then that would have been only £30m spent on transfers. I’m not convinced we would have purchased Bailey and Ings if we didn’t sell Jack. 

Thats not going big to progress, that’s holding back… I’m not saying we needed to spent £200m on new signings, but I did expect us to recruit in a position we desperately needed to fill, which is CM (most probably a defensive minded player). Buying two players to cover two of Jacks skill areas isn’t a proper strategy. It has left us severely unbalanced. 

I...

I.... wuut....

What?

Edited by Steero113

1 minute ago, striker said:

Could be in the bottom four after next set of fixtures as major weaknesses have not been strengthened.

This is a mistake by the Villa and Smith may pay for it with his job by Christmas?

Go away!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Would I like another signing? Yes, I’m greedy and want us to be as strong as possible. Who wouldn’t love a last minute surprise?

Am I concerned if we are done? No, we have yet to put out anything resembling our strongest side with players fully fit and on form. I have faith in Dean, in our players (to improve) and the new players we have signed. I don’t believe the club takes any action without careful consideration and planning… we actually have credible people in charge, with no lack of nous, nowadays.

I do believe the departure of JG has affected some people more heavily than most but we have to move on and look forwards… personally, I’m sure we will be better for it. With our best players on the pitch, we carry threats from all sides and should be more clinical in front of goal…

Let’s try to be patient and hold off on the predictions, relax and try and enjoy the season ahead. There’s plenty to look forward to…

• Like 2

Just now, striker said:

**** me.....  we could be top as well

Our next games we took 11 points last season

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Typical of the club. NSWE have chosen to not allow us to progress in my view. If we were going to sign Buendia even if Grealish stayed, then that would have been £30m spent on transfers. Fine. That’s a lot of money, but it’s not going to get us up the table. I’m not convinced we would have purchased Bailey and Ings if we didn’t sell Jack. 

Thats not going big to progress, that’s holding back… I’m not saying we needed to spend £200m on new signings, but I did expect us to recruit in a position we desperately needed to fill, which is CM (most probably a defensive minded player). Buying two players to cover two of Jacks skill areas isn’t a proper strategy. It has left us severely unbalanced. 

Haven't had the best window but wanting the owners to leave may be a stretch!

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I agree but it's still the aim. We've got some very talented players at this club. 

Let's see what they do when we actually can put them all on the pitch.

Yeah but Smith will be beaten with this stick as you know because you and I argued with fans post match last season when these unrealistic expectations wasn’t being achieved every week.  Hope for it but our real aim is top ten.

4 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Still your head under cold water and start again,

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

The only position you can argue we have improved is striker. Ings.

Wingers? No. Nobody is proven like Grealish in this league we are replacing him with. Bailey who knows, Buendia one season in the league historically. We are not better in this position than before as things stand.

Midfield? No better.

Defence? Young is versatile. Same for axel. We still lack numbers even there.

Keepers? No better.

So all in all nope.

An alternative view:

Wingers? At least as good overall. A lot of Buendia's underlying stats not far off Grealish, plus significant defensive improvement. Bailey a significant upgrade on Traore/El Ghazi/Trez, covers different attributes to Buendia where Grealish was strong. Any drop off losing Grealish could well be made up by improvement in the other wing role, should give better balance rather than over reliance on the left hand side which becomes predictable to opposition.

Midfield? Should have improved. McGinn looking fitter. Luiz more experienced and should improve (he's still only 23yo). Sanson should actually be available. Ramsey improvement first two games looked significant, and he's only 20yo so should continue to improve.

Defence? Improved back up in two positions. Konsa still young and improving hopefully.

Goalkeeper? No change, but record clean sheets last season? Not sure we could do much more here to improve.

• Like 1